What setting would be different in my FM3 than my Ax8 for OP levels?

cragginshred

Fractal Fanatic
This is in the 4CM of a real tube head context

Seems straight forward to make them equal but the FM3 is at the lowest setting of 0 db out put level but in the 4CM it is way louder than my Ax8
The lower volume from the Ax8 is actually better for a super loud 100w head. The bummer is as far as I can see my FM3 cannot be set for a lower out put can it? Maybe at the end of the signal chain in the editor??

**Both top of units OP knobs are all the way up, when I try to set that lower on the Fm3 I lose tone and the quality of the effects which is why I am using it this way

It was the out put block at the end of the signal chain in case this ever comes up for others who might be using the FM3 for effects in the 4cM of a Real Tube Head!
This is very useful, I am knocking the db's down to about-8 and it does not neuter the tone and allows me to push the tubes a bit without the ear fatigue/hearing loss. :p

How I run my 4cm, with an EVH 5150 III 6L6 50 watt head and 212 cab.

I set the amp to gig volumes, masters between 5 and 7 on all 3 channels, dial it in directly without the FM3, get it in the ballpark.

Then I connect the FM3 and create the block layout as suggested in the manual.

Output 2 knob on the FM3 is 100%
Output 1 knob I use as a master volume, and with a 212 loaded with G12EVH + V30, i get to gig/rehearsal volume with it set to 23%

At home in my townhouse bsmt I set it to 6% and can practice without much difference.

Also both input blocks have gates built in. I only use input one's gate and turn off the gate in input 2 block.

The real power is using EQ blocks to remove levels of certain frequencies instead of trying to just use a volume to get everything equal, which is nearly impossible if you need a meaty low end scooped rhythm but a mid rangy twangy clean and a creamy lead.

Anyways, for me it was no different than the Axe-Fx II in terms of signal levels or fidelity.

Interesting application and I have never ran the OP buttons on top differently. Good to know!
Using EQ blocks for boosts or db cuts always alters the tone to my ears, using the out put block's level control at the end of the chain seems to keep it transparent -at least compared to attenuators I've used.

Back
Top Bottom