What power amp do you use?

eppyfone

I've been eyeing the 44 Magnum by Electro-harmonix but still not too sure if I should bite.

Any recommendations for a good power amp?

I have the Magnum as my backup device, always in my car.

I've used, and still have, a Matrix GT1000FX. Loud, light, reliable and great sound.

I recently acquired a Fryette Power Station II.
That's my #1 for now.

I cannot say enough great things about the Quilter Micro Head 101 and Tone Block 201. Very tube like in their sound and responsiveness. Coupled with a Mesa 1x12, I've got everything I want tone-wise and I managed to shave about 50 pounds off my rig by ditching the Twin Reverb.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I live in Australia. That means I'll most likely need a transformer for most of these power amps right? :(

What are you planning to use as your preamp? The Fx8 is effects only... Am I missing something?

I cannot say enough great things about the Quilter Micro Head 101 and Tone Block 201. Very tube like in their sound and responsiveness. Coupled with a Mesa 1x12, I've got everything I wand tone-wise and I managed to shave about 50 pounds off my rig by ditching the Twin Reverb.
And now they both have FX loops so you can use the return (just like an amp head) and bypass all the tone shaping. These things have unbelievable amounts of headroom.

My friend used a 44 Magnum with some pedals, and it sounded pretty good. I would be concerned about the low wattage if you have a loud drummer and or bass player. When I played my Axe Fx with the Art SLA 200 Watt amp, it was pretty much maxed out and not very loud in the mix of a loud band.

Just my 2 cents but recently I've come to the conclusion go FRFR or use a tube power amp into guitar cab. Basically I've decided SS neutral amps just all miss something for me. My 44 magnum is my backup, carvin dcm1540 works great, but soon I'll be either using a fryette power station or a small amp head and go into the fx loop return.

You didn't say what your $$$, or form factor requirements were. Is this for pedalboard mounting, or do you want rackmount? What is your price limit? etc...

The 44 is a great, cheap, small portable backup. It's not loud by any stretch, but it'll do in a pinch.

Back
Top Bottom