What Midi Keyboard Do you Recommend?

boltrecords

Fractal Fanatic
My Maudio axiom 61 1st gen doesn't work fully with pro tools 11 so it looks like I'm forced to buy a new midi keyboard.

What would you recommend? I prefer 61 keys but may drop down to 49 if a certain model doesn't offer 61.
Semi weighted keys is a must.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been pretty happy with my Novation Impulse but I have no idea how well it work with ProTools. Works very well with Logic. It has a synth-key feel which I prefer to a piano key feel. And a nice range to the aftertouch.

Just a controller. But has to have drum pads and faders. I'd like integration with pro tools for faster work flow. It doesn't need any onboard sounds

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

$400 or less. Which is what 90% of them are anyways. It looks like i'm going to either be choosing the akai mpk, novation impulse, or the Maudio axiom or axiom air. I don't really see many more choices than that

$400 or less. Which is what 90% of them are anyways. It looks like i'm going to either be choosing the akai mpk, novation impulse, or the Maudio axiom or axiom air. I don't really see many more choices than that

The Impulse replaced an Axiom for me that had some knobs and sliders knocked off it in a move -- was never happy with the way the M-Audio worked. And I would have bought an SL if I could have justified the extra money. Such a nice keyboard on the SL.

+1000 on Novation Impulse.

Solid. Professional (Fatahr) Keyboard, Lots of programmable Buttons , that even can be assigned to Plugins and more.....

I think the impulse is what I'm gonna go with. Great discount from my guy at Gc too. $270 for the 61 key.
Does anyone know if the faders and stuff are reprogrammable to different functions in pro tools 11? I want to be able to assign a fader to control the automation functions.

I think the impulse is what I'm gonna go with. Great discount from my guy at Gc too. $270 for the 61 key.
Does anyone know if the faders and stuff are reprogrammable to different functions in pro tools 11? I want to be able to assign a fader to control the automation functions.
Everything is programmable. And you can use their Automap software so it remaps the CC's on the fly as you change things on the screen.

For example: when one plugin open the, the first fader could control the wet/dry mix, but when I switch to another plugin the first fader could control the output level. All of it's remapped, on the fly, by Automap so I don't have to recall system settings on the keyboard itself. I just run the keyboard in vanilla Automap mode and Automap takes care of the rest. It's the shit. Definitely works with ProTools.

Needed one of these recently (25 key) for a course I'm taking.. Based on my research I steered clear of the M-audio Axiom 25 due to widespread reports of blue screen lockups that render the unit inoperable. I ended up getting a mini for portability but for full sized keys I liked the Akai units (mpk or max). On pro models I was looking for weighted keys and the "aftertouch" feature which allows daws to recognize secondary movements on the keys. Drum pad sensitivity is also a consideration (some are good, some are poor but they all look the same).

So i went ahead and got the Impulse 61. But Automap 4 is not recognizing pro tools. Does anyone know if the Novation Impulse/Automap 4 is compatible with pro tools 11?

Thanks. That fixed it. But I already had the impulse crash twice. Not sure why. It completely shut off and I had to unplug the usb and replug it in

Back
Top Bottom