What MIDI cable do I need?

tallcoolone

Inspired
I have a Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro and I would like to have it powered by my AXEFXIIXL but it looks like I need a new MIDI cable as all mine are 5-pin to 5-pin. I see there are both 7-pin to 7-pin cables AND 5-pin to 7-pin with phantom power which it looks like my AXE has--which do I need? And thx.

7 pin to 7 pin
Also dont forget you still have to plug the transformer for the Ground Control to the Axe Fx phantom power

Thanks--but I don't know what you mean LOL. Is this something other than a straight 7-pin to 7-pin MIDI cable?

Midi is handled by 5 wires, or 5 pins.

Phantom power is handled by wires (or pins) 6 & 7

The Axe Fx DOES NOT provide the power you desire, but it DOES HAVE place to plug your foot pedal power supply into, which then sends the power down lines 6/7.

So, just using a 7 pin wire would yield no power at the foot controller, you still need the transformer for that.

On the Axe end you need a 7 pin cable to insert into the Midi IN on the Axe. Above that jack is a barrel jack to plug the phantom power wall wart cable into.

Based on this photo:

gcp3.JPG

You need a simple 7 to 7 cable, not the Rocktron with that split off Y.

The power will come from the Axe Fx end, via your wall wart plugged into the barrel jack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wall wart? I power the GCP currently from my Pedal Power on my pedalboard. Are you saying that there is no cable that will plug into the AXEFXIIXL and run to the GCP that will provide power?

Wall wart? I power the GCP currently from my Pedal Power on my pedalboard. Are you saying that there is no cable that will plug into the AXEFXIIXL and run to the GCP that will provide power?

THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I'M SAYING. You need to plug into the phantom power jack on the rear of the Axe Fx to provide power to pins 6 & 7. You use the wall wart that came with the GC and pray the barrel is the same size, or you have to get an adapter, or cut it off and put the right size on.

Conversely you can keep powering with your Pedal Power as you have.

If you want just the GC and a single wire running out to it, you need a 7 to 7 midi cable, AND you need to get power to pins 6 & 7 by having your GC wall wart plugged into the rear of the Axe Fx. The barrel to pins 6 & 7 is simply pass thru, two jacks and two wires, no transformer or power source.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help. Terrible news...I was assuming that the "phantom power" on the back was putting power OUT, not taking it IN. But again, thanks for the help.

It is taking it in, to then send it down wires 6 & 7 of the midi cable. So if you provide it at the Axe phantom power, you can use a single 7 pin cable to power your GC.

As an aside, I run my MFC via the Ethernet cable and steal the power from pins 6/7 to power the LED in SP-2, , meaning I still only need a single wire going out to my board. So if you can solder, there are options.

Back
Top Bottom