What makes a guitar really expensive.

immortal_soloist

Power User
Ok guys I thought this would be an interesting discussion.

We all know the big names and their custom shop models and even some great luthiers that make great custom guitars.

I am sure a bunch of us here have custom guitars,I for one am still waiting for mine to arrive and it definitely wasn't easy on the wallet but
I am certain it would be worth it when it arrives.

So what makes a guitar really expensive,like the good ones. I understand the 2000 dollars to 4000 dollars range,I get it but what makes a guitar
10000 dollars or more.To me that is a little too high,I am sure there would be some justification to it,craftsmanship,parts used,wood used?...
But I know a lot of great luthiers use similar woods and parts and we're talking about top of the line custom guitar builders here. So why are there such drastic price differences when the parts,wood quality and everything is similar.

Cheers.

It seems to me that above about $4-5k it really stops being about the sort of mechanics about the guitar and become about the heritage of the particular guitar. Or is there really any market at all for guitars that isn’t like the Gibson that is reliced to look exactly like the original Billy Gibbons pearly gates, or has any other big name guitar attached to it?

Cheers

Johan

The only thing that makes a guitar worth $10k or more are the people willing to pay that money. A local music shop was selling 2 of those $25k EVH Frankenstrat copies and people actually bought them. When I looked at them I couldn't believe they were priced more than $200 let alone $25k. It's no different than a $5 coffee at Starbucks. The only justification in a guitar over $5k is if there is diamonds inlays into it.

The only thing that makes a guitar worth $10k or more are the people willing to pay that money. A local music shop was selling 2 of those $25k EVH Frankenstrat copies and people actually bought them. When I looked at them I couldn't believe they were priced more than $200 let alone $25k. It's no different than a $5 coffee at Starbucks. The only justification in a guitar over $5k is if there is diamonds inlays into it.

Couldnt agree more...Whatever the market will bear..!!

The market is definitely the market as far as what something is worth. E.g. is any car worth 1 million USD? to some people, yes

Rare instruments or famous instruments usually have a premium price tag.

If it is a new instrument, then you are paying for rare materials and the labor. The latter case being more along the lines of a work of art.

Nothing.

My $900 American Standard Strat plays a dream and my JP6 (it is the barebones one, but I splurged on shield inlays. Otherwise it's bone stock. No piezo either.) is the smoothest playing guitar with a floating trem and humbuckers I've ever heard. And it sounds just like the more fancied up JP models.

As was already said, they are "worth" that only because someone is willing to pay it. With Les Pauls the only real difference is purely cosmetic. If you want to pay more for bindings, a nice flame or quilted top and fancy paint job, that is worth the extra $$ imho because it makes it look something special.

some hand made, with proprietary tremolo system etc. are worth the big asking price to some players - maybe in part due to the elite craftsmanship that goes into it.
also, an original '59 les paul is worth every penny of 250k as an investment; would buy one tomorrow if i had the coin.

imo - if violins and other classical instruments can command big prices, there's no reason why a great guitar shouldn't.

if violins and other classical instruments can command big prices, there's no reason why a great guitar shouldn't.

An electric guitar is nothing like these instruments though. Even in custom shops, electric guitars are mostly machine made and them put together by hand.

Master luthiers are amazing with their hands and test classical instruments like violins and cello sonically throughout the process. To brittle sounding...shave a bit more wood here and there, test again. They also make mistakes and have to start all over again sometimes.

I don't agree at all about the analogy with classical instruments. Not only that, but many professional musicians in orchestras buy THE ONE and prize and cherish it. It's the only one they use throughout their career. It absorbs their oils and plays for them, and is a one of a kind instrument for them.

The other thing I don't get get is buying a guitar as an investment (sorry...edit). I WANNA PLAY IT!!!!

Last edited:
Some have fairy dust sprinkled on them. Seriously, it is more sentimental and someone with too much money that drives the cost on some of these. The same reason some crazy person paying millions of dollars for an ugly Picasso painting. I just don't get it.

It absorbs their oils and plays for them, and is a one of a kind instrument for them.
my old kramer has got some serious sweat sunk into the fretboard. most would say it needs a good clean, but it's priceless to me as it is )

i don't see classical music as some superior form of music. yes they practice very hard, but they just play cover songs at the end of the day :D

The one thing that makes some guitars really expensive is the collectors that buy them. I don't know or have heard of any one that runs out and buy a 10K+ guitar and gig's it. In the instance of the 25K Frankenstrats those are purely an investment buy. When Eddie dies those guitars will quadruple in value and the real guitars will become priceless museum pieces just like the early Les Pauls.

For the 25K PRS guitars that you can find on eBay all your paying for is the name, art work on some and the others, I can't figure out why. Unless it has to do with a unique wood that is used in the guitar which again all boils down to what some one is willing to pay for it.

The most I have ever payed for a guitar was $2,500 and that was for a new 07 PRS CU 24 Experience. I personally think you should't have to pay more than this for a well appointed great playing guitar that has been built using the methods of todays premiere quantity builders... PRS, Sure and the like.

A guitar that has been all hand bult by an accomplished luthier is a different story and should reflect that in the price of the guitar.

Well, I have been playing USA only Strats for decades. Std and Deluxe.
For me expensive was $2,149. for a Telecaster Select. My Avatar! But IMHO it's worth every penny. Plays like a dream-sounds amazing. In 25+ years it is the easiest player and best sounding guitar I have ever played.
I know that's not megabucks but to me it was. No regrets, it's worth every penny.

Besides the obvious, like craftsmanship and wood selection and a good design. Sadly enough "sticker vanity" and "hype " and the notion that
if it's really expensive it's gotta be better than the cheaper models.

if you try a bunch of guitars, and don't mind the brand name or the looks of it, a real good guitar will pick you ....

imho

But of course if you are a working musician you might have to look closer to construction
and spare part availability, road worthy etc ... maybe even reputation ...

I think most of us that have been playing for a while have been in music stores determined to buy this
guitar from this or that company because we really wanted to have this "brand / model" and then found ourselves
more attached to another guitar that you might not even wanted to like in the first place ..

don't know if that made sense but ...

:)

Last edited:
Well, I have been playing USA only Strats for decades. Std and Deluxe.
For me expensive was $2,149. for a Telecaster Select. My Avatar! But IMHO it's worth every penny. Plays like a dream-sounds amazing. In 25+ years it is the easiest player and best sounding guitar I have ever played.
I know that's not megabucks but to me it was. No regrets, it's worth every penny.

I think that is pretty good money and at the end of the day if its worth every penny then thats what counts.

The one thing that makes some guitars really expensive is the collectors that buy them. I don't know or have heard of any one that runs out and buy a 10K+ guitar and gig's it. In the instance of the 25K Frankenstrats those are purely an investment buy. When Eddie dies those guitars will quadruple in value and the real guitars will become priceless museum pieces just like the early Les Pauls.

For the 25K PRS guitars that you can find on eBay all your paying for is the name, art work on some and the others, I can't figure out why. Unless it has to do with a unique wood that is used in the guitar which again all boils down to what some one is willing to pay for it.

The most I have ever payed for a guitar was $2,500 and that was for a new 07 PRS CU 24 Experience. I personally think you should't have to pay more than this for a well appointed great playing guitar that has been built using the methods of todays premiere quantity builders... PRS, Sure and the like.

A guitar that has been all hand built by an accomplished luthier is a different story and should reflect that in the price of the guitar.

Well my custom that is being currently built is above the 2k range more in the 4k to be honest but I know it's worth it. Quality of wood,attention to detail and craftsmanship. Plus no CNC machines and entirely handmade.

So that I can understand and justify but 10K...is like...Woah...Way too steep.

Lots of interesting answers here. Some of the price is in the materials. There are some tone woods that are getting very hard to get, and getting very pricey. A solid one piece body is going to cost a lot more than two or more, even if the wood is well bookmatched. A high end Gotoh Floyd is going to cost more than Bob's Whammy, etc. Lollars or Bare Knuckle pu's are better and more expensive than granola pu's. Obviously very old instruments, especially in excellent condition always fetch a premium price. Is there a difference between a vintage original New Yorker and a knock off? Heck Yea. As has been said, at the end of the trail, an instrument is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. As for me, I actually play my guitars so I am only willing (and able) to spend so much before I just look elsewhere.

Lots of interesting answers here. Some of the price is in the materials. There are some tone woods that are getting very hard to get, and getting very pricey. A solid one piece body is going to cost a lot more than two or more, even if the wood is well bookmatched. A high end Gotoh Floyd is going to cost more than Bob's Whammy, etc. Lollars or Bare Knuckle pu's are better and more expensive than granola pu's. Obviously very old instruments, especially in excellent condition always fetch a premium price. Is there a difference between a vintage original New Yorker and a knock off? Heck Yea. As has been said, at the end of the trail, an instrument is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. As for me, I actually play my guitars so I am only willing (and able) to spend so much before I just look elsewhere.

Agreed.

Back
Top Bottom