What makes a good reverb/delay?

dludo

Not only fm3 related, but i've been comparing the reverb block with logic reverb and other plugins. I don't know why the unit sounds so much better and i wanted to ask what makes a good reverb on a practical level? Same for delay, many enthousiats buy expensive pedals to get simple notes repeat one after another. At the end of the day, they all should sounds the same right?

I wish i could find a reverbs sounding as close as the fractals ones for my daws. Do you have any recommendations?

The same reason different amp modellers will sound different - design and implementation. There a lots of different mathematical techniques and approaches to creating digital reverb as well as different ways to implement that with hardware or software. Reverbs also need to be tuned to avoid ringing or harsh metallic overtones.

With so much focus on amp modeling it's very easy to forget how incredibly musical the Fractal reverbs are, especially compared to other offerings on the market. The FAS-FX Reverb plug-in sounds fantastic too.

If you're interested in reverb design & history then the ValhallaDSP blog has some good resources

https://valhalladsp.com/2021/09/22/getting-started-with-reverb-design-part-2-the-foundations/

Back
Top Bottom