what is your usual delay stuff for solos?

etzel

Inspired
i know it might sound stupid: what is your delay settings for solos? i usually go by ear, but there are different clips(few of them posted by samhill) that, sometimes, seem to be different and giving special texture to the sound.

i go simple:
-mono delay
-feedback 20%
-mix 21%

as far as i observed, no more then 3 repeats(for soloing), but who knows? there are speed things, long and relaxed solos, etc, etc

how do you do it?

I use 500ms, 10% on the repeats and about 25% mix. This makes for a good healthy delay for slow solo note players like me.

I also a ping-pong or stereo delay effect goin on for home playing.

I use mostly dotted-eights or quarter-note delay times set to the tempo of the song (so repeats align or fit between played notes). The level and feedback depend greatly on how ethereal I need it to sound.

I prefer to attach it to tempo because I can adjust on the fly by tapping a new tempo when the time drifts. But sometimes, I set a fixed time to get the feel I want (for example, 400 ms), then twiddle with tempo settings to get close to that time value but with a tempo value.

My main delay for saturated lead is stereo with 350ms L and 450ms R, no repeat and 6db rolloff ,no modulation, mixed 50-50.

For crunch I like 500ms with 30% repeats, modulation, 18db rolloff mixed about 25%

Clean is a doubling delay about 65ms, no modulation, 12db rolloff, no repeats

I have a few for different applications. I have a mono slap delay (250ms or so) that are present often. When doing a solo i either add a circular delay or panning delay that ripped off from Steve Lukather. In the rare occasion I will add both for that power ballad ambiance. I control how wet it is with an expression pedal.

I use a subtle amount of delay on pretty much all of my patches (presets) to give them a bit of "breath" but for soloing i also take a fairly simplistic approach. I do like to sync everything so i'll usually set it to dotted 8ths with a level of about 25 and feedback of about 20%

I use a couple of different setting for solo's.

I sometimes use a mono delay at about 500ms, low repeats 9-15% and mix around 15%

Other times I use dual delay at 500ms and 350 ms, roughly the same settings on feedback and mix.

Most of the time I have a little treble roll-off on the repeats to emulat a tape echo.

etzel said:
i know it might sound stupid: what is your delay settings for solos? i usually go by ear, but there are different clips(few of them posted by samhill) that, sometimes, seem to be different and giving special texture to the sound.

i go simple:
-mono delay
-feedback 20%
-mix 21%

as far as i observed, no more then 3 repeats(for soloing), but who knows? there are speed things, long and relaxed solos, etc, etc

how do you do it?

Mono, about 3 audible repeats, mix 100% (paralell), level pretty low (resulting in about 15% mix) and 666ms. I found 500ms to be a little less than what I wanted, and 650ms worked out good with all our songs that needed delay, and I just couldnt leave it alone.

Re: what is your usual delay stuff for solos

I think I would have to go with 667 or 668. I wouldn't choose 666 just because. ;-)

MKeditor said:
I think I would have to go with 667 or 668. I wouldn't choose 666 just because. ;-)

I am pretty sure he picked that number for the evil factor.

gittarzann said:
MKeditor said:

I am pretty sure he picked that number for the evil factor.

I have found that around that length is perfect for our music, 500 gets too short, 700 is too much, around 650 is perfect. So I just set it at 666 for good luck =p

danielodland said:
etzel said:

i go simple:
-mono delay
-feedback 20%
-mix 21%

how do you do it?

Mono, about 3 audible repeats, mix 100% (paralell), level pretty low (resulting in about 15% mix) and 666ms. I found 500ms to be a little less than what I wanted, and 650ms worked out good with all our songs that needed delay, and I just couldnt leave it alone.

Just curious, why don't you use TAP-delay?

In the studio, there's no set rules. Use what works with the song and experiment with tempo sync.

But for live, I use two different setting;
1. 370 ms for an all around good delay that sits in the mix
2. 410ms (or what I call the David Gilmour Memorial Delay Setting)

For both, I tend to use a fairly high number of repeats (maybe 8 or so) and then use the mix control to bring in just enough of the delayed signal to sound full without getting in the way of the original note. I find this works much better than fewer repeats with a higher mix. For my 410ms delay I also take the mix value up to get bigger more dramatic sound.

Also, if you follow the delay with reverb block, set a little pre-delay in the reverb (around 30 to 70 ms). I find that helps the delayed solo voice to sit better inside the reverb space.

Peace!
voes said:
danielodland said:
etzel said:

i go simple:
-mono delay
-feedback 20%
-mix 21%

how do you do it?

Just curious, why don't you use TAP-delay?

I used to, but I have found that it sounds better with tapped delay when you use a very loud delay, but for more subtle effect I like it pre-set. In studio, I try to sync it.

Back
Top Bottom