What is your player level?

What level of player would you consider yourself?

• Beginner

Votes: 20 9.0%
  • Intermediate

Votes: 156 70.3%
  • Advanced

Votes: 72 32.4%

• Total voters
I still remember one night a girl I was friends with brought over a guy who had the Nirvana cassette and they played it over and over that night. I was disgusted by the music and pissed that she was going out with HIM!! The whole world changed that night....lol. I'm not sure if I resented Nirvana for the next 10 years because of him or the music. I think I'm over it now. I don't change the channel and even find myself tapping my foot when I'm not careful.

Same here. I just couldn’t understand how people could like those cacophonous melodies. I was still used to the 1980s 😂

But then, after 10 years, I bought Nevermind CD and still own it (and sometimes enjoy it). Probably enjoy it because the grunge scene is over.

But then, after 10 years, I bought Nevermind CD and still own it (and sometimes enjoy it). Probably enjoy it because the grunge scene is over.
whenever I see a TV documentary about music they say that early nineties Grunge music basically killed off the spandex clad neo-classical hair rock, it also says that late seventies Punk killed off Prog. Of course none of this is true, and is in both cases, a sweeping generalisation. They like to claim it’s more dramatic than it was. Prog fans were still prog fans, and rock fans were still rock fans, as far as I can remember.

whenever I see a TV documentary about music they say that early nineties Grunge music basically killed off the spandex clad neo-classical hair rock, it also says that late seventies Punk killed off Prog. Of course none of this is true, and is in both cases, a sweeping generalisation. They like to claim it’s more dramatic than it was. Prog fans were still prog fans, and rock fans were still rock fans, as far as I can remember.

What I remember from that period (hair metal to grunge) was that in the course of a few weeks, new students went from asking how to play like Eddie or [insert virtuoso's name] to asking me to show them the 4 chords in "Teen Spirit." I was baffled. You're going to pay me for 30 mins to show you how to strum 4 chords?! Okay.

I would agree though that one form doesn't "kill" another. The older form runs its course and people are hungry for something new. When that something catches on, the generation coming up latches on to it.

I'm back in a small town, so no lessons. Was taking classical from an amazing teacher in So Cal the last few years I was there, but would have to travel at least 70 miles to find a decent teacher here. (And he or she wouldn't be a USC grad with a doctorate. Lol)
I also am back in a small town. There are no teachers here for me. I am in Florida but my teacher is in NYC. He video tapes the lessons and structures them into small 8 week courses called bootcamps. We also do a skype lesson once a quarter at minimum.

I also am back in a small town. There are no teachers here for me. I am in Florida but my teacher is in NYC. He video tapes the lessons and structures them into small 8 week courses called bootcamps. We also do a skype lesson once a quarter at minimum.
I have considered reaching out to my teacher from So Cal and seeing if we can do Skype or Zoom. I may have to in the coming months. I miss that structure. I still play my classical quite a bit, but have not pushed forward to learn new things very much.

Back
Top Bottom