What is your average "Output Level" percentage when playing?

Did you ever try the same thing with PEQ? That's kind of what I'm doing too but through PEQ vs GEQ. Would be interested in your settings to give them a go vs. my PEQ settings

I really like the 5-band passive mode of the GEQ.

My settings are +2, +4.5, +2 for the 3 middle sliders of the GEQ 5-band passive.

GEQ is after the cab block.

Edit: This works well for me with clean and distorted presets. Love being able to play a solo clean.

Last edited:

My settings are +2, +4.5, +2 for the 3 middle sliders of the GEQ 5-band passive.

Edit: This works well for me with clean and distorted presets. Love being able to play a solo clean.

Right on. Will give that a shot and play around with it!

On the horizontal VU meters I try to be right on the line with every patch. Then I can use a null filter at the very end with +3db as a boost when I need to wail.

I use the 5-band passive GEQ similarly, or alternatively a PEQ (null filter set for anywhere between +2 to +5 db depending on the preset). I think my starting point with the 5-band GEQ is 0, +2.5, 1, +2.5, -2 w/ the level down to -1 or -2 db. Adjust it depending on the guitar, amp model, etc. but it's right in that range. I'll have to try these others mentioned.

These settings really worked nice for me in rehearsal. I was able to jump out in the right way and the tone was really nice too. I'm using either the Wrecker or one of the Comets at a few different gain levels to get my lead tones.

These settings really worked nice for me in rehearsal. I was able to jump out in the right way and the tone was really nice too. I'm using either the Wrecker or one of the Comets at a few different gain levels to get my lead tones.

I've been using these for over a year and really like what it does to the tone.

Like you say, you get over the mix, but in a very musical way.

Wow, it seems that after reading your guys settings, mine seem a lot louder with lower settings. I will typically leave the level of the amp block at it's defaults, I'll use the horizontal meters to try to get all of my stuff at about -2db (at 0 things start to feedback too much). My output knobs are set at about 9 o'clock. The signal goes into my mixer hard panned left and right on the board and I leave my faders at unity gain. With that setup I have to pull back the main faders waaaay down, to like 1/8th their range (I think that's around -30db) else my ears would explode. That's a crazy loud signal coming out of that black box!

Wow, it seems that after reading your guys settings, mine seem a lot louder with lower settings. I will typically leave the level of the amp block at it's defaults, I'll use the horizontal meters to try to get all of my stuff at about -2db (at 0 things start to feedback too much). My output knobs are set at about 9 o'clock. The signal goes into my mixer hard panned left and right on the board and I leave my faders at unity gain. With that setup I have to pull back the main faders waaaay down, to like 1/8th their range (I think that's around -30db) else my ears would explode. That's a crazy loud signal coming out of that black box!

On your mixer, are you using microphone inputs? and/or what is your input trim set to?

From your description, it seems like the mixer is setup for too much input gain do to a microphone preamplifier in the signal path and/or the input trim for the mixer channels needs to be reduced.

The Fractal does put out a good hot level though. I really appreciate that aspect of it. Nothing worse than gear labeled "professional" that has anemic output levels.

On your mixer, are you using microphone inputs? and/or what is your input trim set to?

From your description, it seems like the mixer is setup for too much input gain do to a microphone preamplifier in the signal path and/or the input trim for the mixer channels needs to be reduced.

The Fractal does put out a good hot level though. I really appreciate that aspect of it. Nothing worse than gear labeled "professional" that has anemic output levels.

They are running into mic inputs. My Mackie has overload lights next to the input trim dials to help you get them set right (just like the axe.. just a little tickle is good!), I have to turn those down a bit too. I've always been told it's best to use XLRs whenever you can for outs.

They are running into mic inputs. My Mackie has overload lights next to the input trim dials to help you get them set right (just like the axe.. just a little tickle is good!), I have to turn those down a bit too. I've always been told it's best to use XLRs whenever you can for outs.

Get some XLR to TRS cables or adapters and run into the Line inputs on the Mackie if you want an easier to deal with gain structure.

That is what I do in a band that uses an old Mackie 1604VLZ

My output level is 100%, and my amp levels are -12 to -6. When I play like this - all my patches are 0bd or below in the VU screen. As far as Im concerned, I should be pushing 0db to the desk/amp/whatever, and those settings do that. I control my volume from my power amp, active speakers or desk. there not normally that high though.

+1 Very useful!! Thanks. ;)

Curious. Is there an advantage to this method rather than just having a different output level for a different scene?

Curious. Is there an advantage to this method rather than just having a different output level for a different scene?

Based on my experience using it so far, it allows you to step out in the mix in a way you couldn't just by raising output level on a scene. You could kind of get there by dialing an amp with the mids pushed and the output level where you want, but the passive EQ seems to do it in a more pleasing way...to my ear. Got good complements about it on a gig this past Friday.

Based on my experience using it so far, it allows you to step out in the mix in a way you couldn't just by raising output level on a scene. You could kind of get there by dialing an amp with the mids pushed and the output level where you want, but the passive EQ seems to do it in a more pleasing way...to my ear. Got good complements about it on a gig this past Friday.
Rather than waste memory, I tend to use the GEQ in the amp block. I can use 5 band or 8 band, if more notches are needed. Works real well for me. I've tried both ways, using a GEQ block and just the amp's GEQ. Couldn't really tell a difference. Of course my setup is old school, Axe, tube amp, 4 12 cab.

Rather than waste memory, I tend to use the GEQ in the amp block. I can use 5 band or 8 band, if more notches are needed. Works real well for me. I've tried both ways, using a GEQ block and just the amp's GEQ. Couldn't really tell a difference. Of course my setup is old school, Axe, tube amp, 4 12 cab.

So you use x/y switching for this?

@mtmartin71 and I agree on this one. The 5-band passive mid push is very musical. It adds a little something something to the tone in addition to helping your guitar ride over the mix.

I'm thinking you're using the amp GEQ just to shape your base sound? I didn't think you could engage the amp GEQ unless you're doing X/Y switching of the same amp. For me, I'm only using the GEQ for my leads to get some volume and push together. Pretty cool though how many ways you can set things up.

I use the 5-band passive GEQ similarly, or alternatively a PEQ (null filter set for anywhere between +2 to +5 db depending on the preset). I think my starting point with the 5-band GEQ is 0, +2.5, 1, +2.5, -2 w/ the level down to -1 or -2 db. Adjust it depending on the guitar, amp model, etc. but it's right in that range. I'll have to try these others mentioned.
Just realized the settings I mentioned above are what I sometimes use to further EQ the base tone of my preset rather than as a boost, although they can sometimes work in that manner. I use another 5-band passive EQ block w/ the typical sad face curve for boosting sometimes, although I mostly use a PEQ as mentioned above for more of a flat clean level increase.

Just realized the settings I mentioned above are what I sometimes use to further EQ the base tone of my preset rather than as a boost, although they can sometimes work in that manner. I use another 5-band passive EQ block w/ the typical sad face curve for boosting sometimes, although I mostly use a PEQ as mentioned above for more of a flat clean level increase.

I´m discovering new possibilities... ;)

Thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom