What is you FM3 “backup” for live shows

I'm guessing he uses very straightforward presets and the onboard effects of the amp are sufficient for a backup. He also referred to it as "the backup amp" so this is probably a piece of gear he will have regardless and wasn't purchased as a backup.

I have a Headrush Pedalboard for a backup. Doesn’t sound as good as my FM3 but it does sound better than a Helix. If they both crapped out I have my Blackstar 212 combo and pedals.

When I got the FM9 I traded away my FM3, so I use a Mooer 003 mini preamp pedal as my emergency backup. It can do clean and distortion, is super small and was cheap, and can run a built in cab sim or run into my powerstation and real cab. Doesn't sound too bad either.

Last edited:
Although not a backup because I still use for some gigs, the AX8. Once I get the FM9 back from a friend the order will probably go FM9, FM3, and AX8...maybe.

I never really gave much thought to having a backup, but I do think it's a good idea. I just picked up a Mooer US Gold 100 (012) and it will absolutely get me through if my FM3 decides to take a dive. I'm surprised how good this $60 tiny pedal sounds. Not anywhere near Fractal standards, but great for a cheap backup. I'm sure I'll never have to use it, but it's there if needed.

Tech 21 Flyrig and a ZT lunchbox. They both live underneath the passenger seat of my car for emergencies.

Never had to use either of them since none of my FAS gear has ever broken down on a gig. Occasionally will use them for throw n go situations, flydates, laziness, small rehearsals etc.

Ich habe die Amp1 Mercury, die Remote1 und die BluBox VSC von BluGuitar und die Plethora X5 von tc electronic.IMG_7875 2.jpg

Prayers because if fm3 tanks, there's no turning back lol
Bad idea. My FM3 died during a song at a gig. Turned out that its power supply gave up the ghost for no apparent reason. From then on I bring a back up amp. For me, this is easy because I run the FM3 into a Quilter Tone Block 202, which is a stand alone amp with reverb, if needed. I bring a delay and a wah as well so I have what I need just in case.

Bad idea. My FM3 died during a song at a gig. Turned out that its power supply gave up the ghost for no apparent reason. From then on I bring a back up amp. For me, this is easy because I run the FM3 into a Quilter Tone Block 202, which is a stand alone amp with reverb, if needed. I bring a delay and a wah as well so I have what I need just in case.
Same but use Tech 21 Fly Rig 5 V2. I carry it in my gig bag always. I can live without the wah in an emergency.

EDIT 5/19/23 I also have a Pod Go that I used to gig with before I received my FM3, and used it for my FM3 backup, but then I received the 9T, so as I pretty much always gig with the 9T anymore I take the 3 as a backup, tbh don't use the 3 as primary much for gigs since I received the 9T. I do use it for woodshedding and developing new presets, which I share with the 9T, I generally do not want or need dual amp presets.

Last edited:
H&K tubeman II and Palmer Pdi 09.

Small, enough to save a gig and fits in my « cable/spare » backpack.

I picked up a TC Helicon Audio Interface that works with iOS on sale for $20. I’ll just use that into my iPhone with AUM and plugins if my FM3 goes down. I was contemplating getting a cheap Bluetooth midi foot controller too, but for an emergency it’s easy enough to mount the phone to a mic stand and control things with AUM.

-Aaron

I Always have a back up just from years of conditioning. but I have not needed one in the last 10 years of fractal use.

It depends on how I'm traveling for what I take as a back up. On this past Steve Vai Tour opening up. the first few shows I used my FM9 and I had my FM 3 as a back up. but I ended up filling the Car with Merch to sell and it was not feasible to carry the FM 3 and the case it was in. So I had a NUX Amp Academy with me. I also almost always have a Pocket GT from Boss in my gig bag as a hotel room practice rig.

On one of the shows we did on a Sunday night I had to do my my weekly livestream but my FM9 was on stage. ( I had been jamming with Steve and the band during their set so I could not pull it off stage to do my live stream. pocket GT to the rescue. Not needed for a back up but an alternate rig at that time for that night.

In the past I have used as backups
HX Stomp
Boss Pocket GT
Tech 21 Fly Rig 5
NUX Amp Academy

Never needed them though .

:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom