What is this device at the nut of Steve Rothery's Squire?

Piing

Axe-Master
Is that an attachable locking nut? The bridge seems to have micro-tuners
1723714025093.png
BTW. The singer is great singing Fish. Rothery as good as ever.

Last edited:
I guess it is just a string locking mechanisme, see this picture from his guitar in an earlier development phase (?) ;)

1723716408508.png

The way it looks now seems like a way to simply press-to-lock as opposed to rotating a screw.
But this is all just speculation/fantasising from my side.

That is a Bill Edwards finger tite locking nut.

He invented and patented the original locking nut and schaller (Floyd Rose) ripped him off.

Awesome dude.
He also wrote the guitar logic and fretboard logic books.
Ah, that makes sense. I knew I recognized the flip lock mechanism from somewhere.

Looks like a Tone Vise to me. I have one on one of my guitars. It's alright. Those little extenders on there can be oriented to be set straight up and down like he has them in the pic there. If you're just noodling and not plugged into an amp, the have a little play in the knob (just the handle things, the nuts themselves are snug) and rattle making a mild noise that can be kind of annoying. You'd never hear it plugged in and over the sound of the amp. And they take slightly more fiddling with to get loosened up than you'd think. Like I said, they're alright. It works as it says, but I probably wouldn't get them for any of my other guitars.

Attachments

• ujg5newidsmhnb1zd5m8.jpg
    ujg5newidsmhnb1zd5m8.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Kahler made a flip lock too, have one somewhere...

5514CKG.jpg

I guess it is just a string locking mechanisme, see this picture from his guitar in an earlier development phase (?) ;)

View attachment 143903

The way it looks now seems like a way to simply press-to-lock as opposed to rotating a screw.
But this is all just speculation/fantasising from my side.
That's a version of the Kahler string lock before the finger levers were added:
kahler-5513-string-lock-black.jpg

Back
Top Bottom