What is the smoothest most balanced IR for high gain?

Loquenau

Power User
Even if auditioning IRs were easier, I'm loath to sit and try hundreds let alone thousands of them for that one I'm looking for. If it exists.

Basically, I want something that [for standard tuning] allows little if any crunch, doesn't boom, yet doesn't make it sound like Satriani, Petrucci, and all that ilk.

Do you have any suggestions?

haha, i am in the exact same situation. i have tried all the free ones and bought
almost every existing IR pack out there but that one is yet to come...

ok, maybe i...at least there is this one IR i always come back to,
no matter how many other i've tried i ALWAYS end up using this one
when it comes to clear and balanced high gain sounds.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hf4qn7w28jbr6so/my 2 favorite IR's.rar

the pack actually contains 2 IR's the diezel is my fav one though.

Easiest thing to do would be to do a TM if possible on the specific tone your looking for. If you need it in cab format, just export the TM to a user cab.

That's primarily what I'm using these days. It's so difficult to find exactly what you're looking for amongst the thousands of IRs out there. It's an endless quest that never ends. I just find a tone from an artist that I'm desiring, find a spot on one of their songs that has only guitar, TM it, and export to a user cab.

I just find a tone from an artist that I'm desiring...

I'm not. There isn't one.

I tried those IRs. Egads, they're horrid. One was fizzy and lacking body, the other all tubby. But, you know, all I've tried in these circumstances (everyone who's been all, 'these are BAD ASS MAN') are like this. I kind of expected it actually.

i like to pair up two IR's together in stereo with no mic. certain combo's work well with certain amps. today, my favorite was the Recto V30 (first one listed in the factory ones) and a little farther down is the T75 celestion. i roll off the bottom around 165hz and roll off the top at anywhere between 6449hz and 12khz. that cab combo works well with several amps to give you a big warm in the room tone. your mileage may vary.

Agreed with Mark. Since I haven't found one thing on here that Loc likes, I'll take it that he just lives with deeply inconsolable rage at all times.

i like to pair up two IR's together in stereo with no mic. certain combo's work well with certain amps. today, my favorite was the Recto V30 (first one listed in the factory ones) and a little farther down is the T75 celestion. i roll off the bottom around 165hz and roll off the top at anywhere between 6449hz and 12khz. that cab combo works well with several amps to give you a big warm in the room tone. your mileage may vary.

Thanks, man. Here's two clips: my fave Dizzy 4 patch (but with the low cut up from my normal 100, to 165 - it's still meatier than the rec-uber combo, shit)...and the rec-uber combo (of course no mics, because they're non-neutral-mic IRs), low cut at 165; hi cut for both is my normal 9009.

More of a certain kind of upper mids (and less lows) than I'm used to, but it's pretty decent. I'm playing around with various lo/hi cut settings, and, um, playing. Imagine that.

If I told you, you wouldn't like it.

Po-ssi-bly.....

Agreed with Mark. Since I haven't found one thing on here that Loc likes, I'll take it that he just lives with deeply inconsolable rage at all times.

HAHN HAHN HAHN HAHN HAHN HAHN HAHN. Naww, man. That was mostly some years ago. Then I went through wanting to help augment the world. Then I went into disregard. Now I just watch the birds fly by. It may just be that what I'd like it to sound like is not possible, and against the physics of it, all round. Actually, most of the things in the world are this way (for the time being), and you can only fault Nature.

Attachments

• D4 3 rec-uber.jpg
    D4 3 rec-uber.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
don't be afraid to take that low cut up to 250hz or higher....on some amps you really don't have a choice. just use your ears.

Using my method explained here: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...ark-kents-ownhammer-secret-sauce-recipes.html

Usually when people start talking about finding a "pleasing IR" they just make the tones too dark. That's compensating for the real problem which is the irritating presence frequencies. You need that even high frequency roll-off to get a pleasing high gain sound.

Here's a clip of speakers that aren't all usually considered suitable for metal at all but with my method made very much suitable for the purpose:

Probably the best one of this bunch for metal is the OwnHammer Mills V31 cab which is only mixing two IRs together.

@Clark Kent: I can hear how all of those can work in a mix, though I prefer the latter three for their body. Not sure which of them I like most. My tendency would be towards #4.

@Singtall: that's interesting. Here's a clip with it.

Like how fine the sizzle is. It immediately conjures images of early 80s metal. I'm going to see what adding some more meat and gain will get me. Also, I'll drop that cab-figuration in my Dizzy 4 patch set.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom