What is the most "SCREAMING" guitar solo in your opinion???

shotgunn

Fractal Fanatic
First let me explain what I mean by "SCREAMING". In this case I am not taking about amazing shred solos or supremely technically complex masterpieces. I am referring to the more raw solos such as...

Grand Funk Railroad: Inside Looking Out. Mark Farner. Not a very "chops oriented" solo, but to me it rips me to pieces. Tears stream down my face every time I listen to it. To clarify the tears I am speaking of in this case are not emotional years (like when I listen to For the Love of God), but physical tears due to the facial contortions from pure screaming guitar madness.

Led Zeppelin: You Shook Me Jimmy Page. The one gets me every time as well. So intense. So dynamic. So wonderfully phrase. The tone is so thick and harmonic. Oh!!!

Led Zeppelin: Whole Lotta Love Jimmy Page. Perfectly phrased. Ripping tone. Tears my head off EVERY time I hear it. Even if I JUST listened to it 3 times.

It goes without saying that solos of this caliber MUSt be listened to LOUD!!!

So what are your most "SCREAMING" guitar solos?

Skip to 3.25...

Skills and attitude, can't beat that.
And where does the guitar go at the end.....

Prince is a great guitar player as well as a great everything else and one of the best live performers on earth. I've only seen him a couple of times and I find his copious recordings hit and miss, but he was absolutely the bomb live. I live in the Twin Cities and the first time I saw him I was already going to a show at First Ave (where the Purple Rain stuff is from) of Defunkt that night. At school I heard rumors that he might do an unannounced show that night. I was pissed because I thought it meant less of Defunkt (Vernon Reid was briefly with them) who I loved. It played out as rumored with Defunkt opening and Prince and the Revolution playing after. He completely tore the place up and played almost everything on stage well at least briefly before it was over. What an amazing singer as well. He has that IT thing and is completely compelling as a musician and a showman. His guitar soloing often sounds kind of like a hybrid of Hendrix and Santana to me. Beautful, singing, melodic, but with wild unruly flourishes.

The solo on the Comes Alive version of Do You Feel Like We Do by Peter Frampton shortly before he starts with the Talk Box.

@Mikey:

Absolutely!

He is a musical genius. Things he composed and recorded on records like Sign of the Times (just listen to the harmonies on Sometimes It Snows in April) are very daring and brilliant.
Like many others I lost track of him at some time, but with stuff like Musicology he made a great comeback.
I've seen him live 3 times. Last year I went to a 4-day festival and wasn't impressed by the stage presence by any of the (globally well-known) bands. A week later I saw Prince and from the first minute he ruled the band and the audience. Simply stunning. Some can't deal with his presentation / ego, but I couldn't care less, it's part of the package. And he can funk like no other.

The 2nd time I saw Prince it was at an outdoor festival in downtown Minneapolis. I don't know how many people were there, but I'd guess 30-40,000 at least and I was WAY back. I would've loved to have been close, but it almost didn't matter. It's like you said, he absolutely ruled the stage. He's a studio god, but live he's probably the most magnetic powerful force I've ever seen/heard. He's got the power of gospel, funk, blues, rock and pop all rolled up together in an explosive combination. I hear you on the presentation/ego thing. I could care less and pay no attention to that. When he performs live all I hear is the greatness of his distillation of a huge swath of musical influences. It takes a lot of ego to command a stage the way he does and I expect some weirdness comes with that terrain.

One of the dumbest things I ever did (or didn't do) was buy a $50 scalped ticket to see him 3 miles from my house when he did his "Greatest Hits" tour 3-4 years ago. Very bad move on my part. I heard Roger Waters doing the Wall last night in that same arena and the sound there is great for a 15,000ish venue. As good as the Wall was, I would've enjoyed Prince a lot more.

Reactions: yek
Rory Gallagher I Wonder Who live from his Irish tour 74.
I would not advise to skip to 3:00. Better to listen to the entire piece :mrgreen

There are tons of lesser known solos that I love, but here's a few anyone can find.

Two that always make me listen are Gilmour's "Comfortably Numb" and "Another Brick in the Wall." Though played to death on the radio over the years, I still love them. Gary Moore's "Still Got The Blues" main solo is classic rock blues, with the kind of emotion GM could squeeze into his more inspired moments. "Still in Love With You" from Thin Lizzy's Live & Dangerous album was a high point for Brian Robertson. Night Ranger's Brad Gillis gets high marks for how he gets into and out of the solo on "Sentimental Street," managing to match the vocalist coming in and absolutely screaming harmonic feedback going out.

And there are also two solos that stick in my mind for just a single note, which is, well, notable. Leslie West in "Mississippi Queen" and Jimmy Page in "Whole Lotta Love." Both got a growling, screaming note in the middle of those solos that just hits in the gut. About 1:51 in on here for Mountain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFhM1XZsh6o&feature=fvwrel

In the oddity category, I certainly recall the all-feedback solo in "Love Hurts" by Nazareth.

Last edited:
Here's another one (scroll to 2.13), one of Vai's best ones, sending shivers down my spine:

Why did they put a picture of Eddie Van Halen.... Vai just took over the guitar community when that album came out. I love reading his band notes

David Lee Roth ::
With this band I was literally famous overnight. I loved the guys in this band and I cherish the memories of those notorious tours. I still feel “Eat ‘Em & Smile” is one of the great rock records of the decade.

Whitesnake ::
It was what it was.

Last edited:
Neal Schon gets invited into Santana's band at age 16 and gets to record on Santana III. Check out Everybody's Everything. Start at 2:10 for context.

Back story: a friend and band member from one of my high school bands used to jam with Neal. He said after Santana called him he dropped out of high school the next day and was driving some expensive sports car two weeks later. Dream come true for a 16 year old.

Of course he later formed Journey and I think every solo he plays basically screams. My old drummer used to say it sounded like he was killing a cat. So do cat screams count?

Edit: By the way that's Tower of Power's horn section. Yeah.

Last edited:
Skills and attitude, can't beat that.
And where does the guitar go at the end.....[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but after about 4/5ths of the way through I'm like, OK, it's great, now please stop! The idea that 'too much is never enough' is one I never bought... That said, P's one of the greats for sure!

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the work that Gilmour did with Shine on you crazy Diamond on the Pulse Live version. I can listen to that for hours... so much room in this song but full of inspiration.

I actually think that the lead break in Blondie's One Way or Another is really apocolyptic! Just love it. And of course, early Dave Davies (before he learned too much) solos are all amazing caveman solos!

Thin Lizzy, Live and Dangerous double live album: Still In Love With You, Brian Robertson solo starting at 27:30, but really starts to scream at 28:45 of this video....but listen to the whole song...always been one of my all time favorites from the mid 1970s.

Back
Top Bottom