What is the fastest way to audition RedWirez IRs?

Since there are a lot of them, I am looking to find the smartest/fastest way to audition the RedWirez IR.
Any help would be appreciated.

Loading up 10 at a time does take forever.
I'd record a couple long clips of rhythm / lead whatever you want in your DAW with no cab block at all (it will sound bad). Then use SIR Reverb on that track (or other free impulse plugin) where you can quickly cycle through the impulses and listen to the cab impulses. SIR is handy for this, saves a ton of time.

I use the editor

select a patch you want to try it on and make sure the CAB IR is set to a free IR that's ok to be overwritten.
go to the preset manager
select cabs
make sure that auto-audition in the menu is on
select the directory you want
click on a cab, it will autoload in the free IR

jerotas said:
Loading up 10 at a time does take forever.
I'd record a couple long clips of rhythm / lead whatever you want in your DAW with no cab block at all (it will sound bad). Then use SIR Reverb on that track (or other free impulse plugin) where you can quickly cycle through the impulses and listen to the cab impulses. SIR is handy for this, saves a ton of time.

Or even better, use a zero latency IR player like SIR2.
You can play your guitar while changing CABs on the fly.

http://www.knufinke.de/sir/sir2.html
or this
http://www.liquidsonics.com/software_reverberate.htm

There is also a free CAB loader that was just released yesterday.
I did not try it but it looks like you can load 6 IR's into it for comparison (mixing?)
Drop down menu for quickly swapping IR's

http://lepouplugins.blogspot.com/

;)

Very cool! Can anyone record a clip of their guitar in axe fx, using a Fender Vibroverb or Dumble clean but without any cab sim? I'm still waiting for my Ultra for another week, so I can audition the cabs with the VST plugin by looping your recording and switching cabs, while I'm still waiting for the Ultra. Much appreciated, thanks! Doesn't have to be fancy or long even. Just a few chords and licks. If you really feel in the mood, a few seconds of Marshall crunch would be awesome

Joost Assink said:
Very cool! Can anyone record a clip of their guitar in axe fx, using a Fender Vibroverb or Dumble clean but without any cab sim? I'm still waiting for my Ultra for another week, so I can audition the cabs with the VST plugin by looping your recording and switching cabs, while I'm still waiting for the Ultra. Much appreciated, thanks! Doesn't have to be fancy or long even. Just a few chords and licks. If you really feel in the mood, a few seconds of Marshall crunch would be awesome

+1
I would love to hear that, especially the dumble clean!!!!

I use boogex to audition them in cubase. It's fast, free, and the browser is pretty easy to use.

This is not released yet.
It will cost $20.
It will be the most amazing RedWirez "player"
You just "drag the mic" and the plug will automatically load the corresponding RedWirez IR's
Totally cool

From GuitarAmpModeling.com forum:

Ken McLaren said:
Hey Guys, we have been diligently working away on our Shred 1.5x, its like we get to a release, then, well wait a minute, what if we added this, then next thing you know we've added it and we're back to testing again. The Redwirez interface is one of those things that we've added. I know that you're next question is what about Recab...That will be supported too, but through the external menu system. It does not have its own seperate dedicated interface, but will still be really easy to use..

Now in terms of the Redwirez dedicated interface, we are finally finished it, so I wanted to post a little information on it.

You get to it by clicking the Redwirez Button on the right side of the cab section, shown here...
RedwirezInterfaceON%20Button%20copy.png

When you first install Shred, it has no idea if you have redwirez installed, or where it is located. so you have to tell Shred where it is. Shred detects if you have set the path to Redwirez already, if you have not, then when you open the redwirez interface, Shred will blink the "Set Redwirez Path" button to alert you what to click..
Shown here..
setredwirezandrefresh.png

Highlighted in red is the "Set Redwirez Path" button, this will flash at you if the path to the redwirez folder is not set.
after setting that, highlighted in green is the refresh button, you must click refresh after setting the path to the redwirez folders. Its a very simple process, when you click the "Set Redwirez Path" button a browse for folder dialog opens and you simply navigate to where the redwirez library is installed and click OK, then don't forget to refresh Shred's memory by clicking the refresh button. The "Set Redwirez Path" button will stop blinking and you are now ready to start using your redwirez library.

This is actually what you'll see when you first run the Redwirez interface.
RedwirezFirstRun%20copy.png

Shred 1.5x only supports the freeware version of Redwirez, and Shred in itself is now part of a larger more important development called Head Case. So you can only use the Marshall G12M library. If you don't have it, you can simply click the redwirez logo and Shred will take you to the download page where you can get it. This does not mean however, you can't still use the full library with Shred, you can have access to the full redwirez lib by adding it as an external cabinet menu. I'll be writing another tutorial on that later.

Once you are all setup, simply select the cab, mic, mic position, etc..the Redwirez Interface identifies the IR file to use. Each control in this interface corresponds with something in the redwirez library. So, when you slide the mic away from the cab, the Redwirez Interface loads the corresponding redwirez IR file. If you click the off axis button, a corresponding Off Axis IR file will be loaded. Off axis does not appear in every mic in redwirez, so, the Redwirez Interface will let you know if this is available for the particular mic you have selected. If it is available, then the following button LED will display in the cab interface.
RedwirezOffAxisOff%20copy.png

When this is selected the Mic graphic changes and an off axis IR is loaded.
RedwirezOffAxisOn.png

There is Cap and Cap edge selections available for Off Axis mics in the redwirez library. So the mic movement will only have 2 positions when off axis is selected, as opposed to Straight on. Straight on has 4 positions to select from, Cap, Cap edge, Cone, and Cone Edge.

Mic distances are selected by sliding the mic stand away from the cabinet. Most of the selections are handled in the interface, however, there are some mic distance positions that are not available in this way. I'll explain more about that later.
RedwirezMicMovement.png

As you move around the interface, controls will highlight when they get the focus, if they don't highlight, then they become visible like the speaker for selecting mic position on the speaker. When you are not using this, it becomes somewhat "see through". The mic stand on the other hand becomes highlighted. Simply slide it back and forth to change IR cabs. Mic position from 0" to 1 foot are supported by this mechanism, anything else is supported through what we are calling "catch basins"

Catch basins appear as an asterisk beside either the mic, or cab menu lists. These provide access to parts of the redwirez library to do not conform to the standard naming conventions we use in the interface. So, mic distances that are 25 feet away, files like the "room away" cabinets are all caught and put in the catch basin in case you want to use them. There are 2 catch basins, one for the Cabinet and one for the Mic. So for example, there may be whole mic folders that do not conform, they will be put in the cabinet catch basin. One example is the Coles 4038 mic. The Redwirez interface does not recognize the naming convention used for the Cole 4038 mic.
Marshall1960A-G12Ms-4038-Cap-48in.wav
It is the "48in" part of the above filename that causes Shred to place these files and in fact the entire folder in a catch basin beside the cabinet menu.
In the case of the Sennheiser MD421, It has additional files that fall outside what the interface can recognize. In this case the Sennheiser MD421also comes with speech Files. I don't know what they are? haha, but the interface has no idea what they are either, so it puts them in a catch basin in case you want to use them. However, the catch basin this time appears beside the mic drop down menu. This is because there are other files with the Sennheiser MD421 that the interface can recognize. So, the catch basin beside the cabinet deals with full mic folders, the catch basin beside the mic menu deals with extra files that are part of a mic.
CatchBasins.png

The above graphic has the Catch Basins Highlighted and also shows the menu that is available.
RedwirezCatchBasinLoaded.png

When you select to use a cabinet from a Catch Basin, the interface changes and the you are no longer given access to the mic stand or speaker controls, they are replaced by a faint image of the loaded IR file. Thats because the interface has no way of using/knowing what the filenames are in the catch basin. It has no ability to auto generate the names of the files to load.

At the bottom of the cabinet room, there is a status display that identifies the current file you are working with. As you move mic positions, or change selections, this information is continually updated. The below graphic shows what this looks like when you load a a file using a catch basin.
CurrentloadedFileStatus.png

This graphic shows what the current loaded file status looks like when not loading from a catch basin.
RWCurrentloadedFileStatusNorm.png

Samplerates need not be selected, The interface detects what samplerate you are running at automatically. You only need to select your bit rate. There is also a facility that allows you to view an image of the shape of the Cab File. This is not meant to be used for any reason other than to give you a basic outline of the distribution in the IR file. Not meant for any type of "hard core" analysis.
RedwirezIRVIEW.png

Special Mics menu..
All Cabinets in the redwirez library also come with Ambient, or room mics. These are all placed in the Special mics menu. The special mics menu is populated by the ambient mics folder that is part of the cabinet you have selected. So, you will always have the same cab recorded with room sound as you have recorded with closeup mic. In other words, if you have selected the Marshall, the special mics menu will be populated with ambient room sounds produced with the Marshall.

RWSpecialMicsMenu.png

The above graphic shows what ambient mics are available for the Marshall G12M cabinet lib available free from redwirez. Its also shows you where the ambient mics are accessed from in the interface.

RedwirezAmbientControl.png

The level of the Ambient mics are controlled by the slider located on the right side of the cab room. This works by mixing the ambient mic sound with the close mic sound. All the way to the left and ambient sounds are bypassed, all the way to the right and close mic sounds are bypassed. Its basically a mixer.

The full commercial version of this interface also contains support for Red Wirez impedance curves as well. The commercial version of Shred, which was called Shred 2, its now called Head Case, will also fully support the redwirez library including impedance curves. These cabs will be also available as stand alone cabs which fully support external ir loading, built in cabs, Filter cabs, and may also have our new modeled cabs as well. In future they will for sure have them and will be available for upgrade. It may be a free upgrade even? I just don't know right now. All these products will also be released and available for beta testing to the Shred 2/Head Case pre-purchasers group, whom I believe will be starting to post their comments around so if you wanted more information about it not from a company perspective, those are probably your bet source for it.

Well Anyways, thats it, the Redwirez interface is complete and has been fully integrated into Shred/Head Case.

What's this about head case?
Shred 2 is being added to a larger product called Head Case and as such it will not be called Shred 2 as Shred 2 is only a small part of the overall suite. Head case will contain all the previous ABG heads, all the Shred 1.5x Heads, all the Shred 2 heads, and more. This will all combined in a suite very similar to what Shred 1.5x is now. So, essentially, Shred 2, has sort of become Head case. We made this change to Head case because of its ability to load external ABG head designs. These designs can be created by anyone and then those with either the Head case suite, or the Head case single can put them into their "Head Case" and use them. These are not just presets, presets are different in that they contain the entire definition of a sound and do not contain graphics. The head case head files also contain the graphics for the head as well as its definitions so they are a completely portable item. As I said earlier, there is 2 main versions of Head case, the single version which is just the head, it does not contain any of the cabs, effects, stomps, etc. So, those of you who like to work with your own chain and not be tied to using specific cabs or effects, can use that.
There is also the Head Case suite, that will have an interface almost identical to Shred 1.5x, but you won't have FrankenAMP options. These will be put into the head maker program which is used to create heads for Head case, if you want to make your own. The head maker will only be available as part of the suite. This approach allows us to keep the tweaking separate, which means that all the extra resource that go into providing that infrastructure are not included, this means better performance. A lot of people don't even get into that side of tweaking, so, its basically a waste of system resources. Anyways I'll have more on Head Case another time, I'm going off topic on my own post...haha

Thanks for reading..
KM

;)

AndrewSimon said:
This is not released yet.
It will cost $20.
It will be the most amazing RedWirez "player"
You just "drag the mic" and the plug will automatically load the corresponding RedWirez IR's
Totally cool

Looks killer. Bring it on!

Joost Assink said:
[quote="Rich G.":39yxtpze]I use THIS method.

Thanks for this, but isn't axe-edit and auto-audition faster?[/quote:39yxtpze]

I'm not aware of any "auto-audition" feature in axe-edit. I know there's an audition mode which loads the cab into the currently selected User Cab # or into User Cab 1 if none are selected... but I've yet to see anything that warrants the descriptor of "auto".

The method using the C6 Sysex tool presently has the following advantages:
1. It seems to be more reliable. I couldn't send a custom IR to the Axe without getting a "Bad Checksum" message. C6 Never gave me a problem with Cabs.
2. You can place files from different directories into the C6 Load area. With Axe-Edit you can only pull up one directory at a time. This is kinda tough when the RedWirez files are stored several layers deep in the directory structure.
3. Double click on a Cab to send it to the Axe using C6. With Axe-Edit you have to select, then right click, then audition.

I think if you give the C6 method a try you won't be disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom