What is the biggest ‘lift” going from the FM3 to the Axe3

I've been considering getting an Axe FX III as well after owning the FM3 for almost 3 months now. I absolutely love the FM3 and the tones I get from it are awesome... but I am getting a little frustrated with the processing limitations even though it's rare that I hit them. The FM3 seemed like the easiest way to dip my toes into the Fractal modeling world... but now that I understand this system fairly well and know where the limits are, I am questioning whether I should sell it and get the III. In terms of portability, it's really a non-factor for me as I am not gigging currently with my FM3 and have no immediate plans to.

I am not really a kitchen sink kind of preset person, and I imagine the FM9 would solve my issues, I think I'd rather just spend a bit more to get the III than jump to an FM9 (which are also hard to come by anyway). In the end I think it'd be great to have the limits of the sound creation be my own ability to make them versus a hardware limit.
I'm in the same boat as you, had my FM3 for 4 months now, feel I know the basics well been dipping my toe into the more advanced stuff lately. Hitting cpu limits have been rare also but I would still like to have more power to play with so as you put it "limits of the sound creation be my own ability " versus hardware limit. Just have to get my better half on board too!

I have had a kemper and Atomic before… got the FM3 for about 4 months…and it is great… I just sold the kemper…and I was thinking do I get axe3… i would only use the axe3 at my cover band gigs…as the other bands I only need 1 preset with 3 scenes… I am leaning on the FM3 as a backup until my number comes up for FM9…. 2023..lol
It sounds like the FM9 would be your better choice, unfortunately, there's that whole worldwide cluster-f… in shipping.

The FX3 is definitely a workhorse, and there's lots of power and space to make big presets. I have all three, and though my FX3 is in a rack I keep it at home because I don't feel like beating it up needlessly, and use my FM9 mostly. But I have to say that the FM3 has really impressed me. The latest beta sounds killer, and with an FC6 or FC12 and one of the OMG layouts it's very flexible. It and the FC6 make a small rig that's ideal for travel, which is why I got mine.

If you get the FX3, I'd recommend making sure your personal presets will run comfortably in the FM3, otherwise its use as a backup system will be compromised. I initially started building presets on my FM3 and then pushing them to the FX3, but now I can build on one of the other units and push them to the FM3 and the preset will run correctly. It's just a matter of learning its restrictions. You might have to use a couple of presets to accomplish what the FX3 could do in one because there's a advantage using the same FC and layout and switching actions when you're concentrating on a song.

The fact that you can have 2 guitarists use the same Axe-FX is a godsend. Should be able to also run bass through the unit at the same time but I haven't tried it.
That capability is nice, but it really funnels the band's sound through a single possible point of failure. At that point does the band buy an additional FX3, or three FM3 as backups?

Back
Top Bottom