What is the best way to record with the Axe Fx II ?

Denis

Inspired
Hi everyone

I'm sure this question was discussed a lot but I'm not sure which was the best answer :-x
Is it better to use the Axe as a sound card and record through USB or to use a sound card that is specially designed to work as a sound card and use the phone jack 1/4 out
from the Axe to the sound card or is there any other option that would give better result ? Which method will sound the best or which method does professionals use when they
record with their Axe in the studio ?

For me, just using regular cables 1/4" or XLR into my audio interface is easier. But if you don't have an interface, the USB on the axe 2 is convenient.

Studios have used regular ol' audio cables for high quality recordings for decades so no reason they are bad now!

I agree-I use the analog outs into my Echo Layla3G-records fabulously. I record dr and wet at the same time.

I use the Digital Out of the Axe into Digital In of my audio interface , and sometimes the XLR outs, both get great results.

Which one sounds better for you or do you think they sound the same ?
I think they sound pretty much the same, if i'm starting a project, I'll usually use the Digital out and record at 48 K, but many times I have to add guitars to projects already started at 44.1 k, so I'll use the XLR's. I never bothered to make a direct comparison, as I didn't hear anything wrong with the sound using either method.

I, too, go out of the Xlrs (which are now in front thanks to Vafam's custom panel) and into my Presonus Firewire interface. I bring up the levels on the Axe-FXII just shy of clipping, then I raise the preamp trim knobs on the Presonus for a good signal. My DAW is Sonar X1, and the tracks sound great.

I'm curious why so many people like going back to analog if they're just going to go right back to digital with their interface. I realize the A/D/A converters we're talking about on both ends can be very good, but I don't see why you wouldn't want to stay digital. And even using the digital outs into a digital in on an interface seems like more work than running the USB cable right into the computer.

I'm curious why so many people like going back to analog if they're just going to go right back to digital with their interface. I realize the A/D/A converters we're talking about on both ends can be very good, but I don't see why you wouldn't want to stay digital. And even using the digital outs into a digital in on an interface seems like more work than running the USB cable right into the computer.

Some people are still having issues with USB pops/clicks/stutters/etc. it is simply more convenient for them to use a cabled method. Some folks don't mind if there's a little increase in noise floor, but I'm all over the USB, personally, and I think it's the only way to go for this kind of thing. I re-amp my bass tones through the Axe to mix lows/mids/distorted stuff, and I tried doing it all analog but ran into some hum issues with my interface, which is a Focusrite Saffire 14. I use a combo of analog out to rear input of Axe and back in through USB. Of course, I'm only working on my own projects, so 48kHz is fine with me. I realize that if I start to mix other people's stuff in the future, I'm going to have to get a better interface so I can work at 44.1. So it goes, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom