What is the best poweramp / speaker cabs for the Axe Fx?

I am using my axe fx with a Marshall EL-34 100/100 poweramp and a Marshall 4x12 Stereo Cab with V 30's

should I keep this setup or should I get something else to go with the Axe Fx?

What is the best poweramp and speaker cab for this?

Thanks

It is as Roadrunner says - if it works for you, you already have the best.

Just be aware that you're not going to get accurate representations of the amps/cabs the Axe is capable of. Your amp and cab are going to add their own color to anything the Axe sends them, so they won't sound authentic. Sorta like teaching English to a Japanese or Nigerian. They may speak it proficiently, but you'll always hear the accent their physiology adds. That's not a Bad Thing, it's just different.

If you want accurate models, you need a FRFR (Full Range Flat Response) amp and speaker. The most popular units seem to be Matrix's GT1000 and Atomic's CLR series speakers, or just an active CLR. With that setup, you get very faithful reproductions so a Fender Twin sounds like a Fender Twin, and AC30 sounds like an AC30, etc.

Saves your back, too. Run an Axe channel to the FOH mixer, and use the CLR as a monitor. Don't need the 412 or power amp anymore.

This is a common question but there really is no right or wrong answer.

Having seen lots of people on the forum go through the same process, I would recommend keeping your current rig and using it to A/B to whatever you choose to replace it.

Having the previous rig to hear and compare will let you honestly judge for yourself the pros and cons of a replacement rig.

I agree with Cagey 100%. I have Mesa 2-90 power amp into 2 4x12 cabs. I don't really care what amp my setup sounds like, i just want a great amp. I absolutely love my sound right now and i've never had a problem dialing a good tone with almost every amp model. Does it sound just like a Vox, Roland jazz chorus, or fender? I've never owned one of those amps but i don't really care. I just want a great tone and i have one now. Its all in your ears. But, just like everyone, i wonder if the grass in greener on the other side. If i had the money i would try both but for now, i'm more than happy with what i have.

I will keep my current setup before switching.

I do want to be able to use the poweramp and cab models on the Axe Fx.

If money was not an issue,

Which Matrix would be the best sounding?

Which Atomic cabs would be the best sound? the straight or wedges?

Should I go powered Atomic cabs, so that a poweramp is not needed?

Which is the ultimate combination with the Axe Fx?

Thanks,

James

Ah young newb, once again you ask someone else which is best, first read every post on the subject; then ask your question with much more detail. Are you playing country music, in a gym locker on Mars for instance? ie. the what wheres hows when's and why's will influence what YOU think is best for YOU, more then anything else.

I do want to be able to use the poweramp and cab models on the Axe Fx.
Way not using it now? I'm running 2 rigs with my AxeII, a GT1000FX >> 2 x NL212 and the 2nd is a Carvin DCM200 >> 2 x Carvin 212.
Both rigs are used with cab sim ON, the sound (both) is no less than a killer!
Again, do what sounds YOU the best and not what others tell you is the "best".

I'm running through an EL34 50/50 to a Marshall tv cab and loving it. I think the trouble most of us have is we tinker too much with our tone. Stick with what sounds good to you. I asked the same thing you did. Then went out and spent a lot of money on a Matrix amp and speakers and ended up liking the Marshall setup much better.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom