What is everyone doing for live setup?

I agree neither FRFR nor ears replicates the 3D sonic space of a guitar cabinet onstage. Whether or not that's important is a matter of opinion.

Guitar cabs sound different everywhere you stand--too bright here, too muddy there, sweet spot somewhere, but who stands in one place the whole show ? If you love the sound of walking over to the side of your amp and hearing a completely different tone than standing right in front, I agree, FRFR and ears will NOT capture that experience.

Personally, I greatly prefer getting the sound onstage to be as consistent as possible. I'm using Axe III with FRFR or ears right now, but for years before that, I used a tube amp and mic'd cabined into ear monitors. And like most of us, for many years before that, I just cranked up a guitar cab to hear myself. Personally, I MUCH preferred the consistent direct sound of a well-placed microphone on my cabinet vs. the real "cab in the room." And I prefer the Axe III into FRFR or ears vs. the same rig out to a power amp and guitar cab.

But not everyone will agree on that--all good. Find a rig that makes ya happy, and play :)
Exactly. This week (while waiting for any news about the FC12), I’m experimenting with a new set-up for a special night on 12/29. A 50W Dumble clone, together with a Dumbleator clone, in combination with the Axe FX III effects, and a Dawner Prince Boonar (because the Echorec currently isn’t cooperating). Spooky cool tone.

That’s next weekend’s rig.

That's cool. I have a "vintage" Boogie Simul-Class295, but I have never tried the Fractal with a tube amp. I figure that's a lot of what the Fractal is computing. Besides, the 295 weighs upwards of 30kg, or in agricultural units, 5% of one cow.

That's cool. I have a "vintage" Boogie Simul-Class295, but I have never tried the Fractal with a tube amp. I figure that's a lot of what the Fractal is computing. Besides, the 295 weighs upwards of 30kg, or in agricultural units, 5% of one cow.
I have the AXE III and the Mesa Two/Fifty along with a Furman in a 6 space rack. It is heavy, but it sounds too good live, and I've had too many compliments on tone to change. I have a 2 x 12 Mesa cab for smaller gigs. Moving it is not bad, as it is put on top of a road case on wheels. So it's a matter of setting it on and taking it off the cab and case.

Would you mind briefly describing your amp block settings in simple terms, or whatever work-around with an external tube amp?

Back
Top Bottom