What happened to Artists Presets?

It's a cool concept and the 3 provided were cool. I'm not sure simply wanting/hoping for more makes one entitled. Demanding more, sure.

It seems the vast majority of artists often tend to be pretty secretive about how they get their tones. Haven't seen too many that are eager to just give all their tricks away. Plus, why give that stuff away when they could monetize it? Those Neural DSP "Archetype" plugins are $150+. How much cut do the artists get? Seems in an industry with revenue streams that are consistently drying up, monetizing these things would be beneficial. Would be cool if Fractal could do something similar with their artists in that regard. Preset packs with IR's, customized presets, etc. for a fee. Everyone benefits.

To anyone in these threads who has an expectation of an artist having to post a preset: that's nothing more than some misguided sense of entitlement. It was never promised when you bought your Axe FX, nor are you in any way shape or form entitled, just because you want it or you think it would be nice to have it...
I don't think anyone here is siding on the side of entitlement. But you have to admit, when Fractal creates an entire page of their website promoting the concept of Artist Presets, and does marketing to support the concept, and then only 3 artists share them, it could be viewed as a sense of disappointment based on the hype. They have the Artist Presets under the same page where they show a significant amount of artists that use the product, and then only 3 of them share presets.

It's not entitlement, it's just a bit odd to promote something like that, as a marketing piece for why someone would benefit from buying an AxeFX, and then a quick 3 uploads followed by nothing.

I don't think anyone here is siding on the side of entitlement. But you have to admit, when Fractal creates an entire page of their website promoting the concept of Artist Presets, and does marketing to support the concept, and then only 3 artists share them, it could be viewed as a sense of disappointment based on the hype. They have the Artist Presets under the same page where they show a significant amount of artists that use the product, and then only 3 of them share presets.

It's not entitlement, it's just a bit odd to promote something like that, as a marketing piece for why someone would benefit from buying an AxeFX, and then a quick 3 uploads followed by nothing.

Perhaps they thought more artists would join in.

Presets depend completely on the gear that the person made them on and the gear the end user have. If is not the same, they won't sound the same, or as intended - without some sort of tweaking
It's a cool concept and the 3 provided were cool. I'm not sure simply wanting/hoping for more makes one entitled. Demanding more, sure.

It seems the vast majority of artists often tend to be pretty secretive about how they get their tones. Haven't seen too many that are eager to just give all their tricks away. Plus, why give that stuff away when they could monetize it? Those Neural DSP "Archetype" plugins are $150+. How much cut do the artists get? Seems in an industry with revenue streams that are consistently drying up, monetizing these things would be beneficial. Would be cool if Fractal could do something similar with their artists in that regard. Preset packs with IR's, customized presets, etc. for a fee. Everyone benefits.
I’d side with it being monetized rather than free

Yup. Complaining about a freebie would probably be the zenith of it. Being disappointed there weren't more could also possibly be interpreted as a compliment, as in, "These were great, bummer there weren't more of them"....

Phil Collen and Vivian Campbell from Def Leppard!

Phil said in a podcast his tech had asked him about it and he said he was quite happy to share. But not heard anything since

Just to shill my own efforts, the following is a preset I put together from research on here about what cabs they're using married to settings I'd found for the JMP1 preamp's they've used for years and continue to use in the III
https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=8061

The thing is that they need to retweak the presets every weeks with updates. That’s why it’s not easy . But for marketing sure is super cool. When you love a player it’s super nice to see and have “his sound” whatever they say.

John petrucci shared in his Facebook 3 days ago the way he use the axe with his amp, and presenting his delay on it. That is cool .

Biggest thing with presets is they won't sound the same even between firmware releases sometimes. Too many of the v3 and v5 presets that I dialed in and just loved don't sound too much the same in v19. I can't record with them anymore without going back to the original firmware I dialed them in on. And even that violin preset for AxeFX 3 doesn't work on recent firmware.

I've had a few musicision share their presets with me whether AxeFX or otherwise, and they just DO NOT sound the same when I play through them. They are meant to be mixed with the band not played solo through headphones (unless they dial it in that way, and my band-playing friends never do).

Still, tho, the more artist presets the better. Until then we have Leon. He's the next best way to learn how to dial things in.

I think the more interesting part about artist presets would be seeing how our favorite players use these things. For example that IG video where John Petrucci showed how he uses a single Axe-Fx 3 presets with a ton of blocks like a giant pedalboard is interesting.

I agree that presets are not going to be "now I sound just like my favorite player" because we play differently, use different guitars and output units.

I can’t remember when the Artist’s Presets first popped up, pre or post pandemic, but if it was pre-pandemic, I can certainly see how things could have shifted gears during that time with artists trying to find any way they can to make income. What was once a “Oh yeah, I’m cool with sharing these” could have turned to ”Oh, wait….I’m cool with sharing these but I also need to pay my bills so if there’s a way we can work out a financial agreement, I’d prefer to go that route.”

Mix in FAS needing to figure out how to navigate their own workload/chip shortages/import issues, it just might be something too big to bite into right now.

And then the whole part of the updates; if they go from free to being sold, it’ll come with the expectation that those presets will get updates along with FW updates and then who is going to be the one updating them; the artists or FAS?

When Devin Townsend was asked in a recent Twitch stream about sharing his Fractal presets, he immediately brought up that he was working with NDSP on a plug-in and ended it with “but if that doesn’t work I’ll find a way to get them to ya”. Who knows what kind of contracts or requests are made when those deals are struck up. I don’t think it’s too far fetched to think if a company is working on a signature plug-in for someone, they probably don’t want that artist pimping their presets on a competitor‘s platform.

Then again, Satch just came out and admitted he used the Sansamp plug-in for all the guitars on his new album and had to e-mail IK Multimedia after and apologize for not using his sig plug-in, so who knows.

Back
Top Bottom