What guitar cable do you use?

I’ve made pretty much every 1/4” and XLR cable I’ve used since the early 2k’s and my preferred is Canare cable with Neutrik ends. But Mogami does make great stuff. I don’t think I have the ears to tell the difference but Canare just feels like it’s more solid. Mogami is a lot easier to make cables with though. The braided shield in Canare can be a pain in the ass.

although prices have since gone up, been using D'addario american stage cables for live and at home, work great
i'm considering going back to wireless however for shows

although prices have since gone up, been using D'addario american stage cables for live and at home, work great
i'm considering going back to wireless however for shows
Be cautious with these. Great quality, but they have oversized tips for 'a more solid connection' inside the input jack of the guitar. The problem is, I was using it everyday with my favorite Les Paul, and later when I went to use my wireless transmitter it kept cutting out. The American Stage cable had loosened up the guitar jack connection (due to being oversized). I had to pry the metal connector inside the jack back into place for a tighter fit with regular sized cables/connectors. There's a dick joke there.... LOL.

Be cautious with these. Great quality, but they have oversized tips for 'a more solid connection' inside the input jack of the guitar. The problem is, I was using it everyday with my favorite Les Paul, and later when I went to use my wireless transmitter it kept cutting out. The American Stage cable had loosened up the guitar jack connection (due to being oversized). I had to pry the metal connector inside the jack back into place for a tighter fit with regular sized cables/connectors. There's a dick joke there.... LOL.
aah, good to know , i'll bear that in mind, hopefully won't need too much surgery if i have those issues

It’s not a big deal. It was driving me nuts but then once it dawned on me what was happening and why, it was an easy fix. 30 seconds with a small screw driver to bend this tab back into place. Good to go.

Attachments

• IMG_8161.jpeg
    IMG_8161.jpeg
    96.1 KB · Views: 11
I use a Vovox cable, and yes it was expensive (like 100 Euros) when I bought it 20 years ago! I used it on countless gigs and rehearsals and it still works perfectly. Get your flamethrowers ready now...I had a Monster cable that was garbage ´though expensive and countless El Cheapo cables before that, never again. The Vovox also sounds better.

Cables definitely make a difference, but over short runs those differences are typically negligible, and high quality buffers make those differences even smaller. The most important cable in your set-up is the one that connects your guitar to the first input, as it "handshakes" with your pickups, so you'll find the greatest differences when swapping this one out. Also, one of the best skills you can develop as a guitarist is buying bulk cable and getting decent at making your own--as it can cut down cost by 50-70%!

For most of the music I tend to play and produce, my personal favorite is Belden 8412. The downside is that it's rather expensive, not terribly pliable, and the external wrapping tends attract a lot of dirt and dust, so those usually stay away from gigs and are reserved for studio work only.

For all other applications, I find Mogami W2524 to perform extremely well in terms of sound quality, workability, flexibility, and durability--and can be found for less than $1/ft. For mini leads on my wireless units, Mogami W2314 has performed similarly well. Be aware though if you're thinking about making your own: some fantastic-sounding cables out there have braided internal shielding (BTPA and Gepco come to mind) that make terminating them a bit of a chore.

Mason from Vertex Effects has a couple excellent videos on the differences between cables. Consdier checking them it out!

If you've got a soldering iron, some wire cutters, and an X-acto knife, you can assemble really nice cables yourself. I made mine using Sommer Spirit LLX cable and Amphenol M-Series jacks. The Sommer Spirit LLX has really low capacitance—less than 16pf per foot—and it's very reasonably priced, too (~$1.20 per foot). Including the jacks (and minus the assembly time), it was marginally more expensive than Livewires from Guitar Center. I know it's a cliche, but changing to a low capacitance cable really was like taking a blanket off of my amp. So much more high end detail.

Cheap ones - never have issues and if the expensive ones I've tried sound better I can't hear it so...

Cheap cables will get you through, and many people swear by them. I’ve used a bunch with good results, but all of my cable failures were in those cables. One by one, I’ve replaced them with quality cables (Japan-made, mostly) with Neutrik connectors. I’ve had zero failure with them over many years and hundreds of gigs.

It’s worth the investment, but you can use cheaper cables with completely acceptable results. No matter what you use, have spares on hand.

I make my own with Mogami cable. Other cable can preserve more highs for unbuffered runs, but whether you want/need that depends on your setup and your tonal preferences. Most days I’m gigging with wireless, though.

Let’s say for recording. Live matters less but for recording, what do/would you use?
To give you an answer other than "make your own cables", I use Mogami Gold for my guitar cable for home use. Is it worth the premium? Probably not, but I can say that I've had 0 issues with it, the high-end presence is what I would expect, and it's easy to coil up. IMO, it's the Neutrik TS jacks plugs that make the biggest difference in daily use - I don't think I'd bother with a guitar cable that doesn't use them. The one thing I dislike about them, other than the price tag, is that I'm not super confident they'd hold up for live use - the jackets are thinner than I'd like for that, but they're plenty rugged for home recording.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom