What guitar amp to use w/ my FM3

ChipBurns

I've been using the FM3 for about a month and am really thrilled with it.

I'm currently using a pair of JBL 305P speakers but would like to find a transparent guitar amp for rehersals/gigging.

Here are a few choices I'm considering:

1 - Fender Hot Rod DeVille ML (60 watts, tube)
2 - Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb (85 watts, emulator)
3 - Roland JC120 (120 watts, solid state)

Any comments on these or other suggestions?

I recently acquired a Boss Nextone Special, which I love paired with my FM3. A highly versatile pair at any volume and sounds great.

I am not a fan of plugging the Fractal products into anything but FRFR solutions or studio monitors. I just didn't like the sounds I was getting and in most cases, you have to turn off the Cab/IRs when plugging through a "real" amp or power amp/guitar cab. Depending on your budget, you can get an amazing FRFR speaker, which will let you use all the functionality of the FM3. That's just me. I know there are others that are very happy going through a "real" amp.

While FRFR is good, I find I like the variety of also owning a combo amp. Nothing quite gives that amp-in-the-room feel like an actual speaker cabinet (IMO). With a great solid-state combo amp, you get the flexibility of using it as a powered speaker cabinet (through the effects loop), and a full combo amp (if you want). You can use the FM3 amp modeling if you like, or just the effects, or still go FRFR thorough your studio monitors. I don’t see it as an either/or scenario, the FM3 is very flexible, and it is nice to have options.

I am a huge fan of the BOSS KITANA as the 100w combo. It offers a POWER AMP IN that i run my axe III into. works great with the FRFR. I chose the Kitana because of the speaker and overall versatility of muti effects, internal and external. The 100w is switchable from 1 to 100w and that does help blending with the FRFR cab

None of those amps are anything that could be considered "transparent". It's fine to want to go with e.g a guitar cab but to make the most of your FM3, it would be best to power that with a more neutral poweramp so you can make the most out of its modeling. There's quite a few options on the market and nobody can decide what is the best option. Here's some:
  • Fryette Power Station 2 or 100. All tube, expensive and a bit heavy (compared to solid-state options) but great sounding.
  • Matrix poweramps.
  • Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170/200/700. ICEPower Class D poweramp modules in a box.
  • TC BAM200. Tiny, cheap bass amp that can be set to be quite flat.
Only have personal experience with the Fryette. See the Amps and cabs forum for more options and discussion.

None of those amps are anything that could be considered "transparent".
What is your opinion of a powered FRFR speaker?

If you're in favor of an FRFR speaker, do you think speaker diameter is particularly relevant here? I've seen 1x8" and a 1x12". In the "normal" world I prefer 12" speakers but in this case I don't have a "ruler" for evaluating an 8" vs a 12" (other than cost).

What is your opinion of a powered FRFR speaker?

If you're in favor of an FRFR speaker, do you think speaker diameter is particularly relevant here? I've seen 1x8" and a 1x12". In the "normal" world I prefer 12" speakers but in this case I don't have a "ruler" for evaluating an 8" vs a 12" (other than cost).
Oh boy, you opened a can of worms!!!

I've read an interesting article (can't find the reference) that claimed 8" speakers are actually better suited for guitars. It claimed 12" became the norm in the age of ever increasing volumes. I do use an 8" FRFR and it's awesome.

Oh boy, you opened a can of worms!!!

I've read an interesting article (can't find the reference) that claimed 8" speakers are actually better suited for guitars. It claimed 12" became the norm in the age of ever increasing volumes. I do use an 8" FRFR and it's awesome.
Yes, I keep a can-opener handy in my upper desk drawer... :imp:

But seriously, thanks for the input. I've only had my FM3 about a month, am THRILLED with it, but am currently using my JBL 305P powered monitors and am looking for something more realistic to take to rehearsal/gigs

Yes, I keep a can-opener handy in my upper desk drawer... :imp:

But seriously, thanks for the input. I've only had my FM3 about a month, am THRILLED with it, but am currently using my JBL 305P powered monitors and am looking for something more realistic to take to rehearsal/gigs

I can highly recommend the XiTone powered FRFR speaker wedge. 1x12, VERY loud and crystal clean. Each one is made to order, by hand, by the company owner. Excellent product and amazing CS.

Anybody try the 'head' 'rush' 108? Seems reasonably priced for a person just getting started w/ an FM3

(I'm new and can't write the full name of the manufacturer, apparently I haven't posted enough yet)

Anybody try the 'head' 'rush' 108? Seems reasonably priced for a person just getting started w/ an FM3

(I'm new and can't write the full name of the manufacturer, apparently I haven't posted enough yet)

I was going to suggest something like that.... but I'd get the 12" version if your goal is to be 'realistic'. It'll give better low end response, and some 'thump' that will help it feel more real as well...... Other upgrades to the Headrush would be something like QSC K12 or JBL PRX812 or whatever the newest is - I've had the JBL and it sounds good - I just don't like FRFR personally, but totally understand that some prefer it.

Best FRFR option would be Atomic CLR.

Personally, after having tried many FRFR options with AXE FX for like 5 years, i ultimately ended up using a power amp + guitar cab for the past 3 years or so, because it's much more 'real' to me. I hesitate to bring it up because you seem like an FRFR guy, but since you asked about 'realistic', I feel like I needed to mention my experience :) Any of the power amps @laxu suggested are good. I'd add Orange Pedal Baby to the list.

I was going to suggest something like that.... but I'd get the 12" version if your goal is to be 'realistic'. It'll give better low end response, and some 'thump' that will help it feel more real as well...... Other upgrades to the Headrush would be something like QSC K12 or JBL PRX812 or whatever the newest is - I've had the JBL and it sounds good - I just don't like FRFR personally, but totally understand that some prefer it.

Best FRFR option would be Atomic CLR.

Personally, after having tried many FRFR options with AXE FX for like 5 years, i ultimately ended up using a power amp + guitar cab for the past 3 years or so, because it's much more 'real' to me. I hesitate to bring it up because you seem like an FRFR guy, but since you asked about 'realistic', I feel like I needed to mention my experience :) Any of the power amps @laxu suggested are good. I'd add Orange Pedal Baby to the list.
Thanks JRod.

I'm very new (1 month) to the FM3. I'm currently routing my signal through a Presonus 1824c and then out to a pair of JBL 305Ps. I'm not committed to FRFR, just trying to find a more practical/portable rig to take to rehearsal/gig.

Another option I've seen is the Seymour Duncan PowerStage 170 + some cab. I have a Mesa Thiele 1x12 cab that I use with my Mark V:35 and have considered just running my FM3 into the FX return of the Mark V just haven't gotten around to it yet. This investigation (into amplification options) is just a few days old.

I have a Mesa Thiele 1x12 cab that I use with my Mark V:35 and have considered just running my FM3 into the FX return of the Mark V just haven't gotten around to it yet. This investigation (into amplification options) is just a few days old.

In my experience, that is your solution right there. No need to purchase anything else. :)

I have tried a variety of FRFR options and I prefer to run both of my FM3s into the FX Returns
of 2 different tube amps (Mesa Fillmore and Bogner Goldfinger), and then into 1 x 12 cabs.

I bet the FM3 would sound glorious into the V:35. :)

Thanks JRod.

I'm very new (1 month) to the FM3. I'm currently routing my signal through a Presonus 1824c and then out to a pair of JBL 305Ps. I'm not committed to FRFR, just trying to find a more practical/portable rig to take to rehearsal/gig.

Another option I've seen is the Seymour Duncan PowerStage 170 + some cab. I have a Mesa Thiele 1x12 cab that I use with my Mark V:35 and have considered just running my FM3 into the FX return of the Mark V just haven't gotten around to it yet. This investigation (into amplification options) is just a few days old.

In my experience, that is your solution right there. No need to purchase anything else. :)

I have tried a variety of FRFR options and I prefer to run both of my FM3s into the FX Returns
of 2 different tube amps (Mesa Fillmore and Bogner Goldfinger), and then into 1 x 12 cabs.

I bet the FM3 would sound glorious into the V:35. :)

A lot of people do and end up not being satisfied with them. The quality of your output devices matters.

The FX Return idea works fantastic... on some amps. Your Mesa Cab is perfect. Not all amps have a clean transparent power section. I'm not sure if the Mark V does, but I know 5150 IIIs do, and it works fantastic in this way. However not very portable.... if you do try it, set your impedance curve in AMP block to Resistive Load... or disable power amp modeling altogether. See what works best for you. Oh and obviously turn off CAB block.

You dont want to mess with impedance or power amp modeling when using non tube amps, leave them as is... The PS170 is a fine option. It's transparent. Small. Reliable. Powerful enough. Very popular. I dove down a testing rabbit hole and decided to sell mine, but it works great.

Quality definitely matters, seems like you're almost there with what you already have.

Last edited:
I like AITR too. I don't necessarily think it's better than FRFR. To me those both achieve different things, equally well, just depending on what your goal is. For a lot of us who've had a couple decades with traditional amp/speaker combos, I think FRFR is the harder thing to get used to than the whole paradigm of modelling.

I like using a solid state power amp into a traditional guitar cab. To me that gives me the best of both worlds: almost all of the flexibility of Fractal modelling, and what I'm accustomed to with AITR.

Back
Top Bottom