What gauge strings do you guys use?

Tybalt

I'm contemplating changing the gauge of strings I've been using for quite awhile.
Currently I'm using .012-.052's and while I enjoy the thick tone I'm capable of getting from those strings, I do quite a lot of bending and vibrato and quite frankly, I'd like an easier time of it. lol :mrgreen:
I'm trying to figure out what's the lowest gauge of strings I can get away with while still retaining a lot of the tone I'm used to.
What kind of gauge strings do you guys use.. and while we're at it, how thick a pick do you use as well with those strings?
I usually favor 2.00mm picks but I'm starting to wonder if I could squeeze more tone out of a slimmer pick.

I use "Hybrid"/"Skinny top, Heavy bottom" sets...the high strings from a set of 9s, and the low strings from a set of 10s (.46 gauge for the low E string)...the same type of set Petrucci uses...I like the added tension in the low strings with the ease of playability of the thinner gauge high strings.

only men play 12 gauge and up! im playing jim dunlop 12 at the moment in tuning DGCFAD Im also going to order the new dunlop heavy core string i have heard good things.

I play .011-.049 D'Addarios on my Strat (and on solidbodies in general), .013-.052 T-I Bebop Rounds on my archtops. Dunlop 208 picks.

Over the years, I've developed a preference for the sound and feel of heavier strings and thick, nonflexing picks.

I play in standard tuning and use .10's on electric and .013's on acoustics. I use Red Bear Trading Classic XH picks (2mm).

10-46s on all my electrics (plus a 59 on the 7s), 12s on my 6-string acoustic, 11s at the moment on my 12-string.

Although, when my 7-string Tele turns up, that might get some 11s on it.

Used to be 12s for me, then 11s, now 10s, and I'm about to go to 9-46 on everything. I used to think I had to have heavy strings to get my tone. I've since found otherwise. The Axe-FX was a big part of that as I can now manipulate the amp so well and so easily that I have a much easier time getting the tones I want.

I also realized that many of my favorite guitarists used 8s and 9s on the recordings I consider benchmarks for tone, so that made me back off the heavy strings argument. I still want to be like SRV manhandling 13s occasionally though.

I've run the gamut of picks from massive V-picks to metal, glass, stone, wire, coins, nearly every available commercial pick, etc. I've currently gone back to 1 mm Tortex picks on a whim. I've actually been extremely happy with them oddly enough as they are a good balance of rigidity, durability, and responsiveness as well as having a good tone. I can't say how long I'll use them as I have a tendency to get unhappy with a pick pretty quickly. These may stand the test of time though. I've yet to find anything I don't like about them.

D

I use 8-36 and tune down a whole step. I kid! I'm using 10-46 right now on my electrics, 13-? on my acoustics, standard tuning. I used 11-56 on my electrics for a while and dug the sound. Then I played a gig by chance with 10-46 and figured life could be easy and still sound good, so I switched. I don't think I'm gonna go lower than that out of fear of being called a pansy ;)

10 - 46 on my Strat
09 - 46 hybrids on my Suhrs

Elixir Nanoweb

Dunlop Jazz III XL picks (would love a red Bear if they made on the same size as the Jazz XL)

Well I tune down to Drop-A (A-E-A-D-F#-B) but i'll share anyway for any de-tuners looking to see what people are doing

Ernie Ball (Nickle Wounds)
14P - 18P - 28W - 40W - 50W - 72W

My guitar (PRS 513) came 'set up' with .10 - .46 but I'm thinking of switching over to a heavier gauge ( .11 - .49). I was wondering how much adjustment ( if any ) do you think would be required either in terms of fret buzz or intonation if I switch to a higher gauge? Don't have much experience with this but some of you out there might.

Thanks ...

10-46 Elixir /nano on the Les-Paul
10-46 Snakeoil vintage on the Strat

Jazz III sure-grip , I also use Red Bear for clean fat tones.
I rotate my picks mid playing, I use both the point and the round corners depending on what tone I want.

I experimented with 12 gauge, I would not call it a better tone.... just different.
For me the expression level, mainly vibrato is different on 10 gauge and I prefer it.

Of course I only play standard tuning, vintage tones so your needs might be different.

;)

10 - 49 for my Ibanez, standard scale.
11 - 70, custom set, for my 30" scale Agile.
I've been using Dunlop Ultex Jazz III picks. Don't know thickness, but they're very stiff.

Depends on scale length and TP/Bridge.

24 3/4 with Tom top wrapped 10s
24/3/4 with string through block 11s
25 1/2 with string through block 9s

I may revisit guages on the 25 1/2 but I do have some hand strength issues due to an injury.

Picks are Clayton Acetals 1.26mm

Back
Top Bottom