What functionality have you programmed into your MFC-101???

Interested in learning how the community is using their pedal as there is a lot of default functionality---as well as capability to go beyond that through programming

Here's some of the functionality I am have/will implement above and beyond the initial "plug and play" capabilities of the unit

Bank type: song
Master volume increase: per Matman's method (IA#11)
Global preset
Global effects (to be done)
Expression pedal (to be done---are people assigning effects at global level or doing it at the patch level???)
Patch programming approach: mapping of presets via MFC-101

Here's some other thoughts I've had on further mods and interested in knowing whether they are doable or not.

The default IA simply turns an effect on/off. What about hitting an IA switch who's effect is already on (e.g., drive) and have it boost certain parameters (e.g., gain)?

Are people using the master volume increase + an expression pedal dedicated to volume?

Interested in hearing what others are doing!!!!

Thanks,

Nick

Hi Nick,

I don't have a lot of fancy stuff to add (yet!), but I'll explain my settings a bit:
I have my MFC set up for 10 presets per bank. I first had it at 5, but if I wanted say preset 17, it required too much math in my head to map that onto 'press x times bank up/down and stomp on the right button' (and I'm pretty good at math!). So I switched to 10 presets, but I still wish the banks started at '0', since preset 21 is now at bank 3, button 1, sigh!
Anyway, I set up a lot of standard IA's and control Volume 1 with the first expression pedal and Wah with the second pedal. The Wah is set to activate on movement. My third pedal broke down, but I thought about controlling delay mix with it, although I don't seem to need it that much anymore since the delays have got this excellent ducking facility. Under 'Reveal' I have the first 5 buttons set up for the Delay Looper.

At first I had Output volume 1 assigned to my first pedal, but that kills trailing delays and reverb, so I had to use the Volume block before any delay and reverb block. To make things easier and be able to quickly include both a volume and a filter block (for a 4dB boost) I've got preset 0 set up as a kind of template: it contains 11 or so effects in a row that I can copy to other presets. For example, for my existing presets, I added the volume and filter blocks and then used the recall effect function to only import the settings of the volume and filter blocks from my template preset into the existing preset, saving me a lot of work. Of course, for new presets I can just start with the template preset. The volume block has the added advantage over 'Output volume 1' that you can define the 'slope' (log/linear) as well.

One thing to take care off is that the 4dB boost can cause clipping, so I would need to adjust my amp block level down more than regular to be able to use the filter/boost without clipping.

Davy

I'm using Axe-Fx Mode. Took me a while to get used to, because I always created presets for each song part on my Gordius controller. On the Axe-Fx it's just too much trouble to have that many presets, so i'm now using more generic presets, and doing a bit more tapdancing on the IAs.

Bank Style: nothing.

Bank Size 5. That's because I never use more than 5 presets per song.

I've ordered the presets on the Axe-Fx to match the MFC-101 banks. So f.e. Bank 7 is "Delay" and contains 5 delay presets.
Banks cannot be named, so I copied all banks/presets to songs and use Song mode all the time. This lets me name the banks, uh, songs (not possible in Bank mode).

I use Matman's Global boost as well.

No global preset. I prefer to be able to push a preset switch again to return to its original state. It's my "default" switch. This requires Ignore Redudant PC to be Off.

I've programmed Vol Dec and Vol Inc switches. Using this tip to avoid "pops". Yeks MFC-101 How-Tos page - Fractal Audio Systems Wiki

I'm also using a small Midi Mouse sometimes. It lets me switch to favorite presets quickly, independent of the MFC.

Extreme MFC-101 Setup

I did an MFC-101/Axe-Fx design for an artist/friend. Here is the "Owner's Manual" I gave him. Axe-Fx mode was On, but with the exception of the tuner, IA switches were AXE-FX:OFF. The entire rig was run from a single preset. I won't be sharing that preset, and I've also redacted its name in the display.

1. BOOST - CC#16, 0/127 (“EXT1”)
To set the Boost amount, press LAYOUT and navigate to the [VOL] block. Press EDIT. Find and select the VOL control knob. Press ENTER. The START and END values on this MODIFIER screen set the normal and boosted levels. (Lower the Normal and increase amp volume to make boost seem louder)
NOTE: That volume block also sums this patch to MONO without you needing to adjust I/O params!

DRIVE - CC#46, 0/127 (“DRIVE1 BYP”)

CHORUS - CC#41, 0/127 (“CHORUS1 BYP”)

FLANGER - CC#56, 0/127 (“FLANGER1 BYP”)

LONG DELAY ON/OFF - CC#69, 0/127 (“MULTIDELAY1 BYP”)

NOISE DELAY UP (MOM)- CC#17, 0/127 (“EXT2”) mapped to multiple params in DELAY 1

NOISE DELAY DOWN (MOM)- CC#56, 0/127 (“EXT3”) mapped to multiple params in DELAY 2

SYNTH WAH- CC#56, 0/127 (“FILTER1 BYP”)
To adjust the feel, press CONTROL and page to the ENVELOPE tab (“ENV”). Tune “Attack” and “Release”. Threshold and Gain set the trigger level and/or compensate for louder or quieter input. HINT: Use the front panel input knob to fine tune in a pinch.

PHASER- CC#56, 0/127 “PHASER1 BYP”)

LONG DELAY GROOVE VALUE- CC#56, 0/127 (“EXT 4”) – mapped to 2 params in Multidelay 1
· OFF: A quarter note tap is heard with several repeats. This is delay line #1
· ON: A dotted eighth note tap is heard once with no repeats. This is delay line #2
This delay parallel to the dry signal with a mix of 100%. To adjust delay amount, use the LEVEL knob on the mix page of this block (the bottom of the two [MTD] blocks).

SLOWSHIFTER OCTAVE UP (MOM)

SLOWSHIFTER OCTAVE DOWN (MOM)
· CC#20, 0/127 (“EXT 5”) Mix
· CC#21, 63/127 for UP, 63/0 for DOWN (“EXT 6”) Pitch Control
To adjust the “glide” rate for BOTH up and down effects, press LAYOUT and navigate to the [PIT] block in column 1. Press EDIT. Find and select the CTRL knob on PAGE2. Press ENTER. Increase DAMPING for slower rates. Decrease for faster rates.

QUICKSHIFTER 5th UP (MOM)- This causes the sound to quickly glide up 7 semitones when pressed

QUICKSHIFTER 5th DOWN (MOM)
· CC#22, 0/127 (“EXT 7”) - Mix
· CC#23, 63/127 for UP, 63/0 for DOWN - (“EXT 8”) Pitch Control
To adjust the Glide rate for BOTH up and down Quickshifts, press LAYOUT and navigate to the [PIT] block in column 2. Press EDIT. Find and select the CTRL knob on PAGE2. Press ENTER. Increase DAMPING for slower rates. Decrease for faster rates.

SLAP DELAY- CC#70, 0/127 (“MULTIDELAY2 BYP”)

TAP TEMPO - Automatic in Axe-Fx Mode (CC#14)

TUNER - Automatic in Axe-Fx Mode (CC#15)

SOUND NOTES================

NOISE DELAYS
These are connected in series, so you can “catch the tail” by switching from DOWN to UP (Not vice versa!) Try releasing the DOWN switch for an instant mid cycle, then pressing it again. You can “trap” a sound like this and push it lower and lower. Releasing the UP switch for an instant while in mid-cycle will produce a wild glitch effect. The UP delay will “max out” in a resonant effect which is tuned to E. The DOWN delay will never max out—it loops in a downward sawtooth shape. The LONG DELAY (Footswitch 5) comes after the noise delays, and can be turned on in Quarter Note mode for extra echoes of the noise (or the shifters!) Both UP and DOWN effects also spill over when the footswitch is released.

SHIFTERS
The down and up intervals for the shifters can be increased or decreased, but keep these values symmetric or the “neutral” point will get out of whack. For kicks, try +/- 24 on the slow shifter. Awesome! +/- 6 on the quick shifter gives evil tritonery.

TUNER
Remember that in the Axe-Fx, you have the option to have the tuner MUTE or not.

Attachments

• IMG_0036.jpg
    IMG_0036.jpg
    369.8 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom