What Expression Pedal to get?

messenger

I'd like to get an expression pedal for the Axe. I'm using a MidiMate. I'l mainly use it for wah. I'm not sure how it works (with the axe and midimate), but if possible I'd like one with the push down toe switch (like a regular wah) to turn it on and off without pushing other buttons.

Thanks for the recommendation iaresee!
Yes. The Mission SP1-R will work with the Axe-Fx and the Midi Mate. Several users are running this configuration. Since the Midi Mate has only one expression pedal input you will need to run one of the two outputs back to the Axe-FX. Also make sure to get the -R option with the polarity switch if you are going to put the pedal out into the MIDI mate since I believe it requires reversed polarity.

James

I use many different pedals. Weight, feel, and options like the toe switch all impact which one I like at any given moment.

Rocktron Utopia Expression Pedal (about US$79 new)

Utopia_ExpressionPedal.jpg

Rocktron's Utopia Expression Pedal provides a comfortable feel and just enough travel.

I have two of these and have gigged with them frequently for almost a year. No problems.

The Utopia Expression Pedal is a multi-function pedal that can be used both as a volume pedal (with smooth volume transitions) and as an expression pedal with a large variety of processors and MIDI controllable equipment.

Use a simple stereo (TRS) to stereo (TRS) cable for expression connection, minimizing cable use on stage. The expression jack accepts a ¼" stereo TRS cable and lets you plug into the expression port in your MIDI footcontroller or into PEDAL1 or PEDAL2 on the Axe-Fx.

Or, you can use the input and output jacks to function as a standard volume pedal. The output jack accepts a standard guitar cable (TS) and lets you plug the Utopia Expression Pedal output into the next effect in your effect chain or directly into the input of your guitar amplifier.

If you're looking for something with a space-age vibe, to complement the Axe-Fx, this is a good choice.

I tried to check out the mission pedals, but when ever I try to go to the site I get redirected to apples website :?:

messenger said:
I tried to check out the mission pedals, but when ever I try to go to the site I get redirected to apples website :?:
Ha! Yea, it looks like his MobileMe account is either deactivated or his pages are being updated.

Hi. Sorry for those who have had issues accessing the mission engineering website. I have checked into it but I am not able to reproduce the problem. Everything appears to be operating correctly, so maybe it was just a temporary glitch at one of my hosting providers. If anyone has difficulties please PM or email me at james@mission-engineering.com and I'll look into it further. James.

lebihanj said:
Since the Midi Mate has only one expression pedal input you will need to run one of the two outputs back to the Axe-FX. Also make sure to get the -R option with the polarity switch if you are going to put the pedal out into the MIDI mate since I believe it requires reversed polarity.

James

Ok, I'm a bit confused. I thought with expression pedals you just use one cable to the midimate? Sorry for being such a newb :oops:

P.S. the site seems fine now.

messenger said:
lebihanj said:
Since the Midi Mate has only one expression pedal input you will need to run one of the two outputs back to the Axe-FX. Also make sure to get the -R option with the polarity switch if you are going to put the pedal out into the MIDI mate since I believe it requires reversed polarity.

James

Ok, I'm a bit confused. I thought with expression pedals you just use one cable to the midimate? Sorry for being such a newb :oops:

P.S. the site seems fine now.
Yes, that's true. But an expression pedal with a switch is actually two controllers in one housing: the expression pedal, and the switch. You need to run the signals for each to two separate controller inputs. You can run one to the MidiMate and the other to the Axe-Fx.

Back
Top Bottom