What expression pedal to buy?

Went down to Columbia, SC for the Palmetto State Guitar Show today. Picked up three new Moog EP-3 pedals for $80. Easy to calibrate with the AX8 and has a smooth, linear travel. Goes from 0-98. Not sure why it does not go to 100, but it sounds good.

Last edited:
I got an EV-1 with my AX-8. Like a previous poster mentioned it has no dead spots. My only concern is the sweep or throw is very large. Not like any wah or volume pedal I've had in the past. I'm still adapting to it.

I went with 2 Mission SP-1 with the LED option. Very happy with it and the toe switch can be assigned to anything. Usually set up 1 for volume and 1 for delay mix 8-30%. Sounds like the Fractal expression is great too though!

I use the SP-2 for Mission with my Axe FX for the "two in one" function. I installed a 9v battery supply inside it so I could see the LED without an external power source. I just recently discovered they no longer make this pedal. I liked the durability, pedal feel, and size.

I hear great things about the EV1 from Fractal, but it is huge. Great in use, but a challenge in the kind of ultra-compact travel many bought the AX8 for so I hope they consider a EV1-mini in the future! If you can find an SP-2, it'll do what you're asking.

I use an SP-2 as well. How did you install the 9v battery for the LED (I'd assume it would last a really long time). Do you have a switch to turn the LED on or off?

I use an SP-2 as well. How did you install the 9v battery for the LED (I'd assume it would last a really long time). Do you have a switch to turn the LED on or off?
There's a lot of room inside. I bought a 9v box like this: https://www.adafruit.com/products/67?gclid=CITfzfubks0CFQkwaQodneoH6w
I fit it inside the foot pedal and tapped the wires into the internal wires coming from the power plug. This way I can still use an external supply if I want (taking the battery out, of course). Then I drilled a hole in the floor plate of the SP-2 so the switch was accessible. Works like a charm! Battery will die of boredom before it dies of use.

I've been very curious about getting a Mission pedal with the toe switch. My question is how do you set up the mission for strictly wah and pitch FX with the auto-engage function? Can you set it up to where the toe switch actually leaves it engaged at will? My thinking is using a wah effect at a half-cocked position for a while just for a certain sound. Would I be able to do this or would I need a seperate controller to toggle Wah on/off?

There's a lot of room inside. I bought a 9v box like this: https://www.adafruit.com/products/67?gclid=CITfzfubks0CFQkwaQodneoH6w
I fit it inside the foot pedal and tapped the wires into the internal wires coming from the power plug. This way I can still use an external supply if I want (taking the battery out, of course). Then I drilled a hole in the floor plate of the SP-2 so the switch was accessible. Works like a charm! Battery will die of boredom before it dies of use.
I don't suppose you could take a pic of this...I'd love to do the same thing.

Last edited:
Can you set it up to where the toe switch actually leaves it engaged at will? My thinking is using a wah effect at a half-cocked position for a while just for a certain sound. Would I be able to do this or would I need a seperate controller to toggle Wah on/off?
The sp series of pedals have to be at toe down to hit the switch, so the parked function will be stuck at toe down. if you want a certain position to be held wile switching, the easiest way would be with 2 pedals.

I got an EV-1 with my AX-8. Like a previous poster mentioned it has no dead spots. My only concern is the sweep or throw is very large. Not like any wah or volume pedal I've had in the past. I'm still adapting to it.
+1. Really nice pedal but it feels different to other pedals I have used. To me it feels like the axle is in the middle of my foot more whereas other pedals I've used have felt more like it was under the start of my heel.

Ev-1 all the way. I recently got 2 and couldn't be happier. Very accurate and awesome built quality. If you don't mind a bit larger sweep, it's perfect. I got used to it in a few days though.

The sp series of pedals have to be at toe down to hit the switch, so the parked function will be stuck at toe down. if you want a certain position to be held wile switching, the easiest way would be with 2 pedals.
You're right on this, and this is why I put volume on one side (where 100% is my normal volume) and wah on autoengage at 93% on the other. This allows me to leave it toe down and engage for my uses by rolling back.

+1. Really nice pedal but it feels different to other pedals I have used. To me it feels like the axle is in the middle of my foot more whereas other pedals I've used have felt more like it was under the start of my heel.

Exactly, I might adapt to it. Maybe I should try an Mission Engineering pedal. They don't seem to have a Fractal specific pedal anymore. At least I didn't see one on there website.

You're right on this, and this is why I put volume on one side (where 100% is my normal volume) and wah on autoengage at 93% on the other. This allows me to leave it toe down and engage for my uses by rolling back.
Yep same here!

While waiting for my AX8, I'm doing some research into what expression pedal would be right for me. It will be used for volume, wah/whammy (and I'm hoping to get away with only one). So I see mainly 3 types- regular, regular with toe swich, spring-loaded.
Now I don't know how these can be programmed to function with the AX8, and thats where I could use some input. I'm guessing a pedal with a toe swich can be used to toggle between, for example, volume and wah? If using just a regular pedal, it will have to be toggled between to states from one of the AX8 switches?

The old Roland EV5 always work fine for me , small , light but reliable ...

I went with the EV-1. It worked perfectly, no fuss, no tweaking, etc. It's build like a tank and has a good feel to it. Was considering messing around with my Visual Volume which is on my analog pedal board but, this one works great.

Back
Top Bottom