What expression pedal to buy?

Gonwild

Inspired
While waiting for my AX8, I'm doing some research into what expression pedal would be right for me. It will be used for volume, wah/whammy (and I'm hoping to get away with only one). So I see mainly 3 types- regular, regular with toe swich, spring-loaded.
Now I don't know how these can be programmed to function with the AX8, and thats where I could use some input. I'm guessing a pedal with a toe swich can be used to toggle between, for example, volume and wah? If using just a regular pedal, it will have to be toggled between to states from one of the AX8 switches?

If using just a regular pedal, it will have to be toggled between to states from one of the AX8 switches?
It's not necessary, you can use the "auto engage" function and activate the pedal simply moving it.
I went the cheap route and bought two Moog EP3 expression pedals.

But if you want one pedal to do double duty in the same preset as the OP mentioned, just moving the pedal with auto-engage enabled means the pedal will now control both volume and wah at the same time. You either need a toggle switch, or you need to set up your presets with routing so that the pedal is a volume pedal in one scene, and a wah with auto-engage in another scene. See this thread:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/can-one-expression-pedal-with-x-y-and-scenes-do-this.108189/

I highly recommend the Fractal EV-1. It has a very smooth, even, sweep without any dead spots and is excellent for fine control over the various parameters. At first I thought I would not like the longer sweep for a wah, but I got use to it in no time. I have a mission expression pedal with a toe switch that I had intended to use with the AX8 for wah, but it's gathering dust...

Spring loaded is totally unnecessary, IMO, unless you like the sweep of the pedal really loose.

ok, the way I see it(using just one pedal), it would be more convenient to toggle between two effects using a toe switch. Just press it, and the wah/whammy is there no matter what scene is selected...otherwise its a volume pedal. Unless someone convinces me otherwise I think I'm going the toe switch route :)

if only for volume and wah, if you like buying used try to find an sp-2 mission. This pedal has a toe switch but the switch changes the function of the pedal inside, in stead of you setting up your patches to switch with the toe switch as an IA. this can make setting up you patches easier, and you will be able to use this with global volume if you want to(with an sp-1 you will have to use a volume block to be able to bypass it wile the wah is engaged).

I went with the ev1, it's in the mail with my ax8. I'm already contemplating the possibility of adding a toe switch, won't do it if I can't make it look pretty though:p

I agree though, I would like a toe switch to change from global volume to wah. However, if I wind up with an available switch or scene change on the ax8 itself then I would just go that route. I'm just used the shortboard with my pod right now. It would be nice to be able to engage the wah without having to max the volume out. It helps that I don't play live, so it's all a matter of preference/ease for my bedroom playing. If I do wind up trying to add a switch I'll definitely make a thread for it here.

has anyone used a Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X) pedal with the Axe? Was wondering if i need to buy something else or if this will do?

ok, the way I see it(using just one pedal), it would be more convenient to toggle between two effects using a toe switch. Just press it, and the wah/whammy is there no matter what scene is selected...otherwise its a volume pedal. Unless someone convinces me otherwise I think I'm going the toe switch route :)

Yes, that's the way I did it for a few years with the AxeII/MFC using the Mission pedal. Works great and should also work great with the AX8.

The only problem for me with the Mission pedal is that I do not like the shorter throw for volume pedal use. Using one EV-1 with scenes is not quite as convenient since the switch is not right there on the toe of the pedal. You have to change the scene, and then move your foot to the expression pedal. But it is nice with auto engage that you can be on that scene already as long as you are not wanting to use the volume control. One is just as convenient as the other for me, but you do have to think about it a little more with scenes.

Toe switches are cool. Problem I had was that I did not care for Mission's pedals. I switched to Boss Exp pedals and modded one to have a toe switch. To me Boss>Mission. Boss had a dead spot in sweep (like pretty much every other exp pedal) so I switched to the EV1 and I love it. Have full sweep and feels great. It does not come with a toe switch. I know I can mod it just like I did Boss but have not wanted to bother.

I've tried them all, from the Mission Line to the Roland to the VP Jr to the Cry Baby conversions.... and the EV-1 has to be the best taper and sweep on the market for the Axe line. I mean, it would make sense since FAS is making it...but when using it as a Wah it will feel a little different than what you are used to. Will you get used to it?? Yes, you will..... If you are only wanting 1 pedal, then the EV-1 is the way to go!!! If you want to step up to 2 pedals.....then get an EV-1 for volume needs and a Mission(or convert a Cry Baby/Vox wah) for a wah pedal.

I dig my visual pedal - http://truetone.com/specialty-pedals/visual-volume/
The LEDs are bright, and you always know the actual position of the pedal. Great for parked wah, volume, pretty much any expression pedal application where visual feedback is useful.

Visual-Volume-Pedal-150-300x295.jpg

I'll likely buy the Fractal EV-1
http://www.fractalaudio.com/p-ev1-expression-volume-pedal.php

Looking/thinking about one of these maybe. Probably go with the Fractal in the end ha.
http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/dvp3-volume-x

I have both of what you're referencing. For the AX8 I bought the FAS EV-1 (x2) for Volume and Effects/Wah/Speed. For my AFXII with MFC-101, I have 2 DVP3 Expressions and those are phenomenal also.

Now using both for a longer period of time, I prefer the EV-1 from FAS. Mainly because it simply works incredibly well with the AX8 aesthetically and from a usability perspective (you literally plug them in with a TRS and it's pre-calibrated). The Dunlops are nice, however, have a longer throw with toe-up meaning you are working your calf muscle a hint more with that pedal for full sweeps. The EV-1's are perfectly balanced and a good fit for my 12US shoe size. Either are good, the FAS is nicer IMO.

Good luck!

I use the SP-2 for Mission with my Axe FX for the "two in one" function. I installed a 9v battery supply inside it so I could see the LED without an external power source. I just recently discovered they no longer make this pedal. I liked the durability, pedal feel, and size.

I hear great things about the EV1 from Fractal, but it is huge. Great in use, but a challenge in the kind of ultra-compact travel many bought the AX8 for so I hope they consider a EV1-mini in the future! If you can find an SP-2, it'll do what you're asking.

I have two on my board. They are really fantastic! No complaints at all. Plug and play pretty much!
I second that. Used it with my FX8, will still have to try it with my new AX8 - but should work the same way. No probs at all.

Can't remember who, but someone here recommended the Moog EP-3, so I bought one to try it out - it feels pretty solid, has great taper, and is a good height for standing next to the Ax8 - very inexpensive as well. :)

I second the Moog. Ep-3. They're 40$ shipped off eBay. I've used them for about 2 years with no problems. If it breaks just buy another one!

Back
Top Bottom