What exactly does it mean

nellings6

Inspired
To have a dry and scooped sound. I got some advice about blending one amp with a saturated and good amount of mids, with one to be dry and scooped.

Hopefully this isnt too much of a dumb question.

Dry usually means without effects. Scooped usually means lowered mids, like the classic Mesa "V" shaped EQ.

Eq is eq - would be the same for the II and gen I. But how it reacts with the amp (if placed in front) would make a difference.

Would still get you VERY close ball-park wise tho, and you can notch up or down slightly to get there.

a little thing to add here...

although 'dry' tends to mean no effects, with reference to guitar tone this generally means without reverb and / or delay

scooped generally means a reduction of mids, with respect to guitar this generally refers to low mids in particular [to 'deepen' the bass]

blending a dry scooped tone with a higher gain tone with more mids blends the attributes of both tones whereby the higher-gain / more mid centric tone creates the 'energy' and the dry scooped tone creates the power

another tip here is to not use 100% same tone types..
rather than use exactly the same amp / cab etc for both tones you may get a better result by using different ones..

you see this with guys that use real amps...
such as a JCM900 stack with a Diezel stack
which one is scooped and which has the mids is up to you - goof around..

personally I like to use 3 tones in the studio <-- I'll be experimenting with this when my AxeII shows up
2 hi-gain / less low end tones panned wide
1 lower gain / scooped / bass heavy tone dead centre

in the AxeII I would therefore mess with a stereo hi-gain tone using a pitch shifter to create the 'width' and 'energy
and a big fat crunchy tone in mono up the middle to generate the power and provide a centre of gravity

Back
Top Bottom