What effects benefit from stereo amps?

Bushy

Inspired
I've heard that delays benefit from stereo amps. I'm curious what defines true stereo. What I have is a Quilter mini head and the Quilter BlockDock 10tc cab. If I get another one of the same cab, is that considered stereo? If not, will delay effects sound better just by having 2 separate cabs though?

I've been eyeing the stereo amp by Blackstar, the ID Core 100. Is it wired differently than just using what I stated above using my Quilter mini head with a pair of Quilter BlockDock 10tc cabs, to get a stereo sound?

in this situation, Stereo means "2 different signals."

if you have a single amp head which is mono, then plug in 1 speaker, you have a mono sound.

if you have a single amp head which is mono, then plug a 2nd speaker, you do not suddenly have stereo. the same exact signal from the mono amp head is simply going to 2 speakers. each speaker is getting the same exact signal fed to it. so that's not stereo.

to have "stereo amps" you need 2 mono amps, and each mono amp needs to be sent at least a slightly different signal to have a difference in each amp. each amp goes to its own speaker. then you have a stereo sound.

i wouldn't say delays "benefit" from stereo amps. but you can use stereo amps to create a wider effect with slightly different delay times on each side. you can also have effects pan from left to right, and so on.

stereo means 2 different signals. adding a cab block to the same signal is just more of the same signal, not stereo.

I see, so if I use a pair of cabs into 1 mono amp, that's just dual mono? I still wonder if the Blackstar ID Core 100 is truly stereo or they're just marketing it as such just because it has a pair of 10" speakers in it?

Hi Bushy,
wait until you hear the 2020 delay and reverbs in stereo - you’ll never go back!
thanks
pauly

I see, so if I use a pair of cabs into 1 mono amp, that's just dual mono? I still wonder if the Blackstar ID Core 100 is truly stereo or they're just marketing it as such just because it has a pair of 10" speakers in it?
It’s the same as the amp going to the speakers in a 4x12 cab. That’s just 4 speakers. I personally wouldn’t call that “dual mono” or any other term like that. It’s simply multiple speakers doing the same thing.

Mono or stereo (or 4 or 5 ways) refers to the way channels work... if you have the same signal on each channel you have mono, even with 7 channels!
Dual mono refers to 2 different chain each with a different signal. The 2 chains are SEPARATE.
Stereo refers to 2 chains, interleaving. Same effect may use a bit of signal of the other channel: delay, reverb...
Say you have 2 amps, a Fender and a Marshall, each with his own cab. This is DUAL MONO.
If you could feed say 25% of fender signal into Marshall cab, and say 33% of Marshall signal into Fender cab, you have stereo! With real amp it would be a nightmare to do, with Axefx all you need is 2 amp block properly panned into 2 cab block, usign output L/R into a pair of monitor.

Back
Top Bottom