What do you think of AxeFx after using it for a while?

Hi Roger. I recognize you from the GT-10 forum. Good to see you. It's amazing how small the world seems sometimes......or I guess all of us tone seekers unite in the same places. Anyway....

I have had my AxeFx Ultra since early May of this year. I love the thing. I will agree with others that it takes some time to get a handle on how it works. But it's not any more difficult than the GT-10. There are some features the GT-10 has that I wish the AxeFx had, but I'm getting by okay without them. I originally had two GT-10s. I sold one and still have the other, but it isn't getting much use lately. I have sold a bunch of pedals and other gear, but have kept most of my amps. I'm probably gonna sell most of them as time permits. I'm probably using the Ultra 95% of the time.

To answer your question, the first couple days with the AxeFx I was somewhat :? and :shock: . But that is fairly normal (at least for me) with any piece of gear that is this complex and versatile. Lately, it has mostly been :D .

Anyway, it'd be cool if you got an AxeFx. I haven't been to the GT-10 forum for awhile, but you were always an excellent contributor.

Stop it guys :oops: I am so very overwhelmed :eek: I have to plea beg more for my wife to hasty get the unit. G.A.S symptomatic fever once more......feeling numb.
BTW, great to see both of you Chad/Insideout :D

rogeryu said:
Stop it guys :oops: I am so very overwhelmed :eek: I have to plea beg more for my wife to hasty get the unit. G.A.S symptomatic fever once more......feeling numb.
BTW, great to see both of you Chad/Insideout :D

OK. If this will help...

I bought my Axe-FX standard about a year and half ago. Hated it so much that I sold it and bought an Ultra. Now it sucks Ultra bad. Now I only keep it so I can hang out with the cool folks on this board. Wait that can't be it... ;)

I've owned my AXE std since november, and the more i use it the more i think it is just fantastic. My primary use is recording, and although my music is primarily acoustic, i am just blown away by the sounds both while playing / rehearsing and when tracking. I can't tell you how many times i've thought to myself, this thing is just totally inspiring.

Mike

i think my ultra is amazing but i've dumped it for gigging and have gone back to a head and some pedals

i use the axe for demos/ideas and will be using it for some fx parts on the next album
but i still think a real amp sounds better for my needs

i've gone off tweaking too
i'm going through a real "i'd rather be playing guitar than editing menus" phase right now :cool:

even when i find something that sounds good on the axe, i still tweak it purely coz i can :x

rogeryu said:
Stop it guys :oops: I am so very overwhelmed :eek: I have to plea beg more for my wife to hasty get the unit. G.A.S symptomatic fever once more......feeling numb.:D

Hey Roger, good to see you here! Obviously we have shared in many in-depth discussions on the Boss GT boards. As I have posted there and everywhere else, I am very happy with my Ultra & I consider it worth every penny - it just sounds completely different than all the other modelers I have owned (and that is almost all of them!) The GT-10 caused me to finally awake to my senses (although I still prefer Boss Compression & Noise Reduction) with it's rather bogus-sounding midrange honk. I feel that Cliff is rather alone in his quest for digital excellence for guitarists at this time - as far as I know, no other company is coming close, and I am very happy to support this unique product and company.

Come on in - the water's WARM..... ;)

~Rad~

I'm on my 3rd Axe that's right my 3rd. The first one was a standard and was overwhelmed and to be honest and at the time a tube amp was easer for me to dial in so I sold it. I then found my self buying more and more amps chasing down different tones and it was just getting silly exspensive.

So I stepped up to the plate and bought another Standard and put my self on the waiting list for an Ultra. After spending more time with the Standard this time around I was more confident about what it could really do. By the time my Ultra showed up I was a lot more comfortable. I decided to keep both and work both rigs, jump forward a year and times are hard so I had to make a choice, I sold the Ultra based on the fact that I was not using it to it's full potential and knowing it would be easer to sell :( .

I now have a nice reliable rig that is very diverse and I have not had the urge to run out and buy any amps at all. When I find my self wanting to chase a tone I reach for the Axe and tune it in. It has payed for all 3 that I have bought several times over.

So what do I think after owning it for the past few years, I wished I had bought one when they first came out. I would have literally saved Thousands. After going through VHT, Bogner, Badcat, Dizel, Orange, CAE, Marshall, Bla., Bla, Bla not to mention this tube/speaker sounds better than that tube/speaker crap. I guess if your a one amp tone kind of person then maybe the Axe is over kill and you don't need it. I'm an options type of person and I get board with one tone real quick so the Axe fits my bill like a glove.

Thanks Cliff. ;)

I 've used my Standard for a year now for rehearsals and live not so much for recordings, music is just classic and alternative rock in several cover bands.
For me it is a fantastic flexible and good sounding pre-amp which makes many things much easier after you have learned to program it.
In addition I had never so much fun playing at home over my cheap nearfield monitors with any other software or modeller as I have with the Axe now.

For me it is not a complete paradigm change in electric guitar accoustics. I just can not fall in love with "direct injection" FRFR. I prefer power amp, guitar cab and microphone.

It's my best investion into gear for years, worth every cent!

After using it for a while, I think it's pretty good.

in case your sarcasm detectors aren't active, yes, I'm extremely understating my thoughts about how awesome the Axe-Fx is.

Radley said:
rogeryu said:
Stop it guys :oops: I am so very overwhelmed :eek: I have to plea beg more for my wife to hasty get the unit. G.A.S symptomatic fever once more......feeling numb.:D

Hey Roger, good to see you here! Obviously we have shared in many in-depth discussions on the Boss GT boards. As I have posted there and everywhere else, I am very happy with my Ultra & I consider it worth every penny - it just sounds completely different than all the other modelers I have owned (and that is almost all of them!) The GT-10 caused me to finally awake to my senses (although I still prefer Boss Compression & Noise Reduction) with it's rather bogus-sounding midrange honk. I feel that Cliff is rather alone in his quest for digital excellence for guitarists at this time - as far as I know, no other company is coming close, and I am very happy to support this unique product and company.

Come on in - the water's WARM..... ;)

~Rad~

Hi Radley,
No doubt AxeFx is exceptionally unique based on many reviews on TGP that's why i personally signed here to get most of the actual user's thought and experience . Anyway, i already said before on the GT board that the moment i'm gonna retire my Boss GT10, definetely AxeFx would be the next. BTW how deep is the water? you know i don't know how to swim buddy!

Roger

I have used my Standard for the last 2 1/2 years...wait, really? I'm STILL in love with it and look forward to firing it up.

And I might look, but I never seriously consider another amp. Turn a knob...NEW AMP!

Cliff has saved me thousands of dollars.

Maybe not...now I look and buy GUITARS.

<sigh>

Ron

Happy camper for over 2 years.
I don't look at amps and pedals (pedals seems silly when you can push any amp in the AXE-FX to the max without having the cops at my door)
This allowed me to concentrate on guitars :twisted: just as expensive hobby unfortunately!

;)

Yes - I've been suffering from a strange rise in Guitar-GAS too, since I realized how much a good guitar adds to the Axe-Sound. :oops:

The AXE-FX is great and worth all the raves.

It's not, however, that easy to set up to gig with. Expect a lot of time and frustration if you are new to rack multi-effects, midi, floor controller programming, etc. I spent way more time my first 6 weeks with the Axe messing around with computers, Midi and especially looking on forums for help than I did playing and practicing.

For example, if you get a SS PowerAmp -- like the recommended ART SLA-2 -- it's not easy to find the tidbit that it doesn't use regular speaker cables. Easy to fix, but 3 to 4 hours spent trying to figure out what's the right thing to do.

Floor controller, you need it to gig and AXE doesn't have a proprietary one. If you get an interim FC like the Behringer, it took me about 16 hours all in all to get that working. (and it still isn't what I really want.)

Midi,the editor, the librarian, forget about it. You are dealing with third party interfaces, computers and are on your own, except of course for this forum, which is great. Expect to spend a LOT of time here. (And FYI search the forum with Google instead of the site search. Google works way better.)

Then there's the AXE itself. It's so deep that you can spend infinite amounts of time tweaking it. I'd rather spend at least 90% of that time playing and practicing. The wonderful thing about the AXE is even with just the simplest patch, say a JCM45 amp only, no effects, it sounds truly great. Just for sake of reference, I'm comparing that tone to the Mesa Road King II head that I used to lug around before. They are different, but both are awesome. The AXE is awesome and far more versatile.

The AXE gives great tone as an effect unit or as a pre-amp, but until proprietary peripherals like a foot controller and a stable editor/librarian come out, it's much more like a 1995 PC than a 2009 Mac. Expect compatibility problems. I worked through most of them, but did not enjoy that part of the process.

addedc said:
The AXE-FX is great and worth all the raves.

It's not, however, that easy to set up to gig with. Expect a lot of time and frustration if you are new to rack multi-effects, midi, floor controller programming, etc. I spent way more time my first 6 weeks with the Axe messing around with computers, Midi and especially looking on forums for help than I did playing and practicing.

For example, if you get a SS PowerAmp -- like the recommended ART SLA-2 -- it's not easy to find the tidbit that it doesn't use regular speaker cables. Easy to fix, but 3 to 4 hours spent trying to figure out what's the right thing to do.

Floor controller, you need it to gig and AXE doesn't have a proprietary one. If you get an interim FC like the Behringer, it took me about 16 hours all in all to get that working. (and it still isn't what I really want.)

Midi,the editor, the librarian, forget about it. You are dealing with third party interfaces, computers and are on your own, except of course for this forum, which is great. Expect to spend a LOT of time here. (And FYI search the forum with Google instead of the site search. Google works way better.)

Then there's the AXE itself. It's so deep that you can spend infinite amounts of time tweaking it. I'd rather spend at least 90% of that time playing and practicing. The wonderful thing about the AXE is even with just the simplest patch, say a JCM45 amp only, no effects, it sounds truly great. Just for sake of reference, I'm comparing that tone to the Mesa Road King II head that I used to lug around before. They are different, but both are awesome. The AXE is awesome and far more versatile.

The AXE gives great tone as an effect unit or as a pre-amp, but until proprietary peripherals like a foot controller and a stable editor/librarian come out, it's much more like a 1995 PC than a 2009 Mac. Expect compatibility problems. I worked through most of them, but did not enjoy that part of the process.

Nobody said it would be easy :lol: ........well maybe somebody did (?).
The thing is that you can make it as simple or as complicated as you wish to. I had a fully operational system with fx's and a midi controller up and running within a few hours.
Simple: chose one amp model with one cab model and play - it sounds awesome.
If you want all the features the Axe Fx can give you in the fx's, advanced features, midi control and so on and build very complicated rigs of cause that is going to take time - but that is also the case with other modelers and even more with the physical equvalent ( a warehouse full of gear ), and will be a challange if you are not used to multi-fx units. You can´t just buy a Formula 1 racer and expect to be able to drive it straight away -have to learn what to drive it, same thing with something like the Axe if you want to use the advanced features. That said I think the Axe fx is one of the most easy to use fx's I´ve tried given it's many features.
With regards to the proprietary peripherals like a foot controller and a stable editor/librarian, I don't find that it's a problem using another brand of midi controller nor have I had ay problems with the editor eventhough it´s still in beta with all that it implies.
Furthermore I think that it is so easy to program from the front panel that you don´t need an editor and I think anybody that is going to use an Axe live, should do themselves the favor of learning the front panel user interface for on the fly adjustments anyway.

The single best purchase I have ever bought!!

I have been on the edge of weather or not to sell a crazy amount of non use gear (Gear that i have kept around to do sessions and I do occasionally use because it's usually quicker to dial up some sounds from gear that I have used for years then to pull those sounds out of the AXE FX). But usually after the session is over, I spend time making a preset for that sound /style effect and at that point If I need that sound again in the studio I just start with that Preset! Anyway I have always wanted a sports car but always had to think about moving gear...... I am on the edge of selling a bunch of gear and getting a MINI COOPER!!! or maybe even a really nice SPORTS car. but I could sell a bunch or stuff a actually buy a Mini! :)

The best part is.... for the few non fly gigs i do, I could put my WHOLE RIG IN A MINI COOPER! .
Two guitars, a 2 space rack bag with the Ultra and the Liquid-Foot Jr. X2 wireless, Back up cables, 2 small Roland AC-60's for small local gigs. (if and when I've needed more I come through the monitors) and a box of CDs. Plus room for a my wife.
That all fits!

Ahhh. The Axe FX helps me with my Mid life crisis! :)

Oh yeah back on the Original topic. "What do I think of the Axe Fx after Using after using if for awhile"?
Hmmm. It's nice....:) I can't imagine NOT having it.

Larry

I've owned and used the Axe-FX exclusively for over two years. I've done 100+ shows with it and recorded direct through that period.

I think it's the bee's knees. :cool:

Larry Mitchell said:
The single best purchase I have ever bought!!

I have been on the edge of weather or not to sell a crazy amount of non use gear (Gear that i have kept around to do sessions and I do occasionally use because it's usually quicker to dial up some sounds from gear that I have used for years then to pull those sounds out of the AXE FX). But usually after the session is over, I spend time making a preset for that sound /style effect and at that point If I need that sound again in the studio I just start with that Preset! Anyway I have always wanted a sports car but always had to think about moving gear...... I am on the edge of selling a bunch of gear and getting a MINI COOPER!!! or maybe even a really nice SPORTS car. but I could sell a bunch or stuff a actually buy a Mini! :)

The best part is.... for the few non fly gigs i do, I could put my WHOLE RIG IN A MINI COOPER! .
Two guitars, a 2 space rack bag with the Ultra and the Liquid-Foot Jr. X2 wireless, Back up cables, 2 small Roland AC-60's for small local gigs. (if and when I've needed more I come through the monitors) and a box of CDs. Plus room for a my wife.
That all fits!

Ahhh. The Axe FX helps me with my Mid life crisis! :)

Oh yeah back on the Original topic. "What do I think of the Axe Fx after Using after using if for awhile"?
Hmmm. It's nice....:) I can't imagine NOT having it.

Larry

Larry,

That has to be a Mini Convertible for you! :cool:

rogeryu said:
Hi everybody,
Just wanna get your thought and experience from it. We're not a frequent gig band just a private own company band for our ownself and some invitation request sort of impromptu gig as i may say. I don't have doubt AxeFx is the ultimate MFX, is it wise or recommended for me to investing a unit? Your insight or suggestion might be helpful for my decision and many thanks.

Roger :)

The AxeFx is the best thing for all applications were I don't like to use a real amp.

I still prefer real amps but love the AxeFx for what it is:
-The best effect box for guitar
-The best amp modeller available

It helped not to cure the GAS - at least not for me.
I bought some guitars and tube amps after it (hope to get my Mesa Boogie MK V tomorrow).

Armin said:
The AxeFx is the best thing for all applications were I don't like to use a real amp.

I still prefer real amps but love the AxeFx for what it is:
-The best effect box for guitar
-The best amp modeller available

It helped not to cure the GAS - at least not for me.
I bought some guitars and tube amps after it (hope to get my Mesa Boogie MK V tomorrow).

Wow, if the AFX doesn't do it for you Armin, how could you possibly have used the Vetta for so long???
:shock:
Like I had mentioned in an earlier post, this is my second Ultra, and I just got it yesterday.
I had to sell my first one back in February, to help finance my PT HD rig. All the while saving up until I could afford to re-purchase another Ultra. Placed the order last Wednesday, and just like the first time around, it showed up in 3 days. Very nice!
You know, I don't think it was so much saving up for it, it was a matter of convincing my spouse... lol!!
Jeez, can you imagine what goes on in our women's heads as we time after time, make these major purchases???
God bless em' for putting up with us!!
Anyhoo, When I sold my first Ultra, it had version 6 something on it. I loved that thing then. But holy crap, the new one came with version 8.02 (and nicely updated & bound manual) and the sound difference was huge!!
You know how when you step away from something for awhile , then come back to it how you notice the changes? Just very impressive!!
Now as before, my blisters have blisters from all the playing....
;)
-Chris

Back
Top Bottom