What do you think of a wedding band with no drummer and backing tracks?

It certainly used to be that way! About half of the extravagant receptions we played were split by both bride's and groom's families. Too damn expensive now otherwise! The honeymoon is almost always cheaper than the wedding now. So the modern way is for both families to split everything.

I paid for my own wedding. We had a DJ and 50 people. Still cost me high 4 figures in the 90s. But it was at the Venetian in Vegas with an open bar, open wine and amazing food. Now I'm sure it would be closer to $20K.

Being able to see this from 2 perspectives (wedding attendee, and former house band guest performer), it is possible to envision what the OP had suggested: no drummer, with backing tracks.

As a wedding attendee, many times there was no band whatsoever, merely a DJ dishing up wedding themed music that was both danceable and easy to listen to. Both of my younger brothers subscribed to this train of thought for their weddings years ago, long before Covid and such.

Regards backing track from websites, be sure to purchase the versions with and without vocals as a point of reference. Only caveat I can offer is to be aware of the lead click track count-in time...they may vary from song to song and you can find yourself wasting time until the main part of the song begins to play.

That, and the ability to put together several setlists on either a laptop computer or other mobile device with adequate playback quality. Although there was a lot of reading in between, my guess is the OP has the correct gear to accomplish his tasks, but needs some guidance towards the how to get started part.

Being able to see this from 2 perspectives (wedding attendee, and former house band guest performer), it is possible to envision what the OP had suggested: no drummer, with backing tracks.

As a wedding attendee, many times there was no band whatsoever, merely a DJ dishing up wedding themed music that was both danceable and easy to listen to. Both of my younger brothers subscribed to this train of thought for their weddings years ago, long before Covid and such.

Regards backing track from websites, be sure to purchase the versions with and without vocals as a point of reference. Only caveat I can offer is to be aware of the lead click track count-in time...they may vary from song to song and you can find yourself wasting time until the main part of the song begins to play.

That, and the ability to put together several setlists on either a laptop computer or other mobile device with adequate playback quality. Although there was a lot of reading in between, my guess is the OP has the correct gear to accomplish his tasks, but needs some guidance towards the how to get started part.
Yes guidance would be appreciated. Looks like I’m still doing full band for this year but I’m experimenting with doing then whole set up a click and some backing track sounds. How do the big acts do it?

Yes guidance would be appreciated. Looks like I’m still doing full band for this year but I’m experimenting with doing then whole set up a click and some backing track sounds. How do the big acts do it?
If it were me, I'd focus on one thing at a time, realizing you've got this year's full band responsibilities. As the time approaches where you'll try backing tracks, then focus your energy there. Doesn't make sense dividing your energy between two projects when one hasn't made itself possible yet.

If you must, try to accumulate a collection of choice backing tracks you'd use for your gigs. That way you'll be more prepared for the job and you can always work out the details after the fact.

Back in the mid '90s there was a guy that played a local bar every friday and saturday night. He played along to backing tracks minus the main guitar part and vocals. He would play the guitar solo on some songs note for note and other songs he would put his own solo.
Back then his backing tracks were on CDs and he had a CD player going through the PA and sounded great.

If I remember correctly, his entire set was on one CD and he had a collection of single CDs with every song he played that he would use if he had any requests.

I am a BIG fan of tracks and I’ll tell you why. Other than making the same money we made in the 90s and no one wanting to pay, Im not going to be hamstrung by loopy musicians who cant get basic life skills together like showing up on time, sober and with their gear working. You’re not here for setup or by the downbeat? Stay home. I got it covered. As a good friend of mine who also uses tracks says, “the trains leaving the station. You’re either getting on or not”.

I’m a pretty good resource for this if you want to chat. I’ve had a LOT of trial and error over the last year or so.

Whatever the budget and taste can handle. I hate weddings as it is, so my vote is to not go if I can avoid it.

Hell. Backing tracks have been around since The Beetles, likely before that. At the end of the day, it's about putting on a good, value-for-money show and the appreciation of those people smiling, dancing close, or rocking out and just having a good time for it. Many of the big names today use backing tracks. It might be a slipped-in synth track here or there or an added instrument, vocal or effect, or whatnot. But it's a lot more common than many like to believe. If the two or three of you can put on a great show, dollars to donuts, you will be one of those busy types that people book solid and will enjoy. The cork-sniffing nonsense enjoyed by the purists is okay, too, if that's their thing. It's not mine. Too much history behind the use of backing tracks in live performances for me to care too much about it. I have seen enough to know that an entire ensemble doesn't make a good performance, as a performance of any description can sound as good or as crap as the talent that takes the stage and those that pipe said talent through a PA. Try it out. Get the performance and your presence down pat, perform, and nail it. People will appreciate a good performance -backing tracks or no. I liken the negativity surrounding this kind of thing to the amp purists. You couldn't get anybody in any given crowd to pick out today's modeled sounds over boxed sounds outside of visual stimulation. Not anybody who would hire you to put on a show, that is. Same with live performance. If you can make it work. Give it a shot. If not. Adapt. Best of luck to you.

I work with a band that has been doing the tracks + X live musicians for a few decades now (some of the tracks were made in the 90s). Usually 2 vocalists who know all the vocal parts, have choreography, and now how to work the crowd. When budget or vibe allows, live guitar or horns may be added, as well as the occasional drummer on an e-kit.

Considering that so many dance songs come from electronic/DJ artists, tracks actually end up sounding better than a band trying to recreate something that was never live in the first place. It does take a different skill set to really meld into a track and make it groove (who said the aphorism about making a metronome swing?), or to have your timing down well enough to improvise throughout the ending guitar solo cadenza during Let's Go Crazy and then still hit the final descending line with the track. I have to be ready to hit the songs right as they are called, and entertain the crowd enough not to care what sound is coming from where.

It's a logical solution to the "the 10 piece band is too loud for the reception guests" issue that regularly pops up. Lucky for me, I have enough other musical outlets to not get burnt on it.

You are indeed my spirit animal. Funerals I can almost understand but weddings?????
The worst. A thousand dollars and days of my precious vacation time traveling to have to wear a suit in July? Too loud, invariably two hours too long, too many drunk people telling you how much they love you and miss you and how you should visit them....

... not asking when they can come visit you, when can you go through the hassle and expense of coming to wherever they are... and why you never call, like they don't have your number. MFer are your dialing fingers broke? I cotta come visit you? I gotta call you? Just keep it an empty Facebook relationship like it has been since the last time I actually saw you 25 years ago.

It's hours of that kind of crap and I'm so over it.

Back
Top Bottom