What do you guys use to clean/polish metal parts such as nickel and chrome?

Toothpaste (not the gel kind) works excellent. I used to use it even on my Vette's chrome wheels in the 90s. Nontoxic too - some metal polishes can be kinda nasty on the toxic front. 1 tiny dab will do the trick wipe in with a dry towel, clean with a clean section of towel then buff with microfiber cloth.

I use it on the chrome bridge parts and tuners on my semi-hollow bodies. Works great. Just don't get any paste down in the adjustable parts of the bridge!

Last edited:
Mothers and a fine polish cloth! One never underestimate the value of a good polishing cloth. A polishing compound is nothing if you are going to wipe it with sandpaper.

Mothers, Maas, Flitz, Simichrome, Autosol, etc. all work great. I would stear clear if you've got tinted or coated parts though like black chrome, smoke chrome, etc. Those are often tinted lacquer on top of chrome plating. Polish can remove the lacquer and change the appearance. I'd stick to something like naptha or isopropyl alcohol on those. As always test on a small hidden spot first.

The Connoisseurs Jewelry Polishing cloths work well, unless it's reallllly bad. One side to clean and one side for the final shine and a bit of protection.

I use 000 steel wool if the metal is really bad, otherwise I finish it off with a polishing compound like Nev-r-Dull or Mother's. I've been using this combo on the chrome on vintage bicycles, saxophones, guitars, etc. with good results.

Im probably in the minority but I generally don't polish my metal bits, I like them to look a bit worn. They get wiped down after play but as far as a cleaning and polish not that often.
I agree and should've explained better in my answer above. That's why I feel a soft rag is all that's needed. Generally I'm only concerned with wiping off any oils and such.

For a cheaper option than the Maas that I posted about, I have had good luck with Blue Magic on some things as well.

Back
Top Bottom