What do you expect in the future from FAS?

A stompbox-like, with an amp block only, minimal interface, and the ability to be used stand alone or inserted in the fractal block matrix...
I'll expand on that..
Also..A stand alone mini reverb pedal and mini delay pedal running Cygnus algos. Could also later include dedicated models with drive algos or pitch, modulation, or compressors for a full suite. Perhaps even a front end with buffer, tuner, and noise gate.

No one has that level of excellence in a small enclosure. Not strymon, eventide, anyone.
Mini pedals the size of the tonex one or even a standard 1590b size if it won't fit.

Hell the cloudburst has a folded pair of pcbs... in a small box running the cloud algo. It would be ridiculous. The tech is going there. I would love to see FAS go there first. That would be a hell of a bar to hit...If they did.

Pedals still sell very well. And I bet several folks would need to have them all. Including me.

Need a second pitch block... here ya go. Need a third amp model .. ditto.

It's a lot of sku's ...but it would put a lot of weight on the entire industry.

Last edited:
Any chance of getting some nice bright warm orangey fake tubes? They would look marvelous, and Fernando will tell you it's more important to look good than to sound good.

I'll expand on that..
Also..A stand alone mini reverb pedal and mini delay pedal running Cygnus algos. Could also later include dedicated models with drive algos or pitch, modulation, or compressors for a full suite. Perhaps even a front end with buffer, tuner, and noise gate.
Yes. I imagine a device that could load any block, one at a time acting, when "linked" with the main Fractal, as an external CPU co-processor (run the needed firmware and loaded parameters). Or used stand alone in a traditional setup, loading "block" from an app.... it make sense for the heavy processing block, like amp, delay and reverb, pitch and multiband compression. Maybe future block like multiband distortion, dynamic eq, analog preamp board like Neve... or another cab block with real time mixing and morphing features! :)

As AI is the hot topic these days, that could also make its way into the Fractal world. Just some crazy idea: us AI to generate new amp models based on prompting. Or maybe even complete presets
If so, IMO should be separate from the units.

It's already possible for someone to train/fine-tune an LLM on their computer with a ton of presets (e.g. from AxeChange probably converted to XML or something, as well as maybe preset forum threads) to be able to "generate" new presets. Would these presets even work or sound "good"? Is it worth the effort? Probably not given the quality of "creativity" of AI generators.

OTOH AI for amp modeling would be a whole other beast and would require exposure of proprietary data and code to the AI/LLM, so in any case it would stay behind FAS's doors.

I suspect we will see network connectivity introduced with the AxeFX IV or next hardware refresh.
I doubt it. This would seem to go against FAS's pattern of not adding all the tech bells-and-whistles to their devices: they are workhorses for specific application and adding different kinds of connectivity increases cost and CPU overhead (even if there might be a desire for it).

However, as GlennO and others have said, a non-hardware based preset/block ecosystem would make preset management much easier.

Last edited:
Updated FX8:

I was wrong earlier.

Yes, it's been discussed, and apparently isn't going to happen, but one thing I would love to see is an updated FX8. Essentially the same form factor, but with all Gen 3 FX. It's really the best multi-effects pedal out there.

One inclusion might be an IR Player block, similar to HX FX ability to load an IR, but I'm thinking specifically of acoustic in my case.

And, I certainly wouldn't need every bell and whistle, but for instance, still being able to use an FX only version Fremen's awesome U2 Streets patch with the synth keys would be pretty sweet.

My most desired wish for future floorboard platforms is "Global Amp Blocks". I used those extensively in the II rack and have missed that functionality in my AX8/FM3/FM9 floorboards. It made for a more efficient, less error prone workflow, and for easier preset management overall...

Updated FX8:

I was wrong earlier.

Yes, it's been discussed, and apparently isn't going to happen, but one thing I would love to see is an updated FX8. Essentially the same form factor, but with all Gen 3 FX. It's really the best multi-effects pedal out there.

One inclusion might be an IR Player block, similar to HX FX ability to load an IR, but I'm thinking specifically of acoustic in my case.

And, I certainly wouldn't need every bell and whistle, but for instance, still being able to use an FX only version Fremen's awesome U2 Streets patch with the synth keys would be pretty sweet.
You can replace the FX8 with an FM 3 or 9.

Once again, The UI is the low hanging fruit. If it's not built into the front panel like Neural, then it needs to be wireless to a tablet/phone.

For effects only, you're paying for a lot of unusable CPU...
Yeah, kinda this, for sure.

The entire UI of the FX8 makes it easy to use (including the software editor), and it integrates seamlessly. Presets are still not quite as straighforward to set up as HX FX patches, but certainly a different story than the FX3 (which is amazing, of course).

I'm still surprised that Line 6 hasn't updated their Helix line, including a new FX-only unit. With everything that Cliff and crew did with the 3rd gen effects, I think they would have a real market. But I guess history doesn't agree with that. I like the FX8.

Would love to just have a really well modeled Fryette Ultralead! New Ultralead is supposed to be released soon actually…

Nobody said it couldn't.

Someone (as well as others) requested an effects only hardware option.

It's not the same thing. There's 25% of the processing you don't have access to.
As far as I know, the FX8 didn’t sell as expected. I bought one and still have it but it quickly fell out of favor with Fractal. I think there were 2, maybe 3 firmware updates. Why would they make another one if all three of their modelers can do the same thing. Not to mention, cost of production. If they made an FX9 based on the FM9 chassis the cost to produce would be very close to the full boat modeler. Retail price would have to be less. Profit margin may be the same but less money is less money. I don’t see it happening.

As far as I know, the FX8 didn’t sell as expected. I bought one and still have it but it quickly fell out of favor with Fractal. I think there were 2, maybe 3 firmware updates. Why would they make another one if all three of their modelers can do the same thing. Not to mention, cost of production. If they made an FX9 based on the FM9 chassis the cost to produce would be very close to the full boat modeler. Retail price would have to be less. Profit margin may be the same but less money is less money. I don’t see it happening.
I agree... I wasn't the one who requested it. I was merely explaining why some would prefer it.

Back
Top Bottom