What do I need?

Izzwardo

Inspired
I received my invitation for my AX8 but I'm on the fence deciding whether to buy it or not. I currently have a Mesa V25 and 2-1x12 rectifier cabinets. So if I were to go ahead and buy the AX8 all I would have to do is sell my Mesa, buy a power amp and the AX8 and use the two Mesa rectifier cabs I have and I'll be good to go? If so is it really worth switching it up? Also what power amp would be good enough for a loud garage band. Thanks in advance.

For utilising the full features (well with exception of the Cab IRs in this case) of the AX8 you should try a solid state power amp. Doing that would allow you to use the power amp modelling with each Amp model.

You'll have a returns option on the AX8 so maybe first thing you might do is turn off the power modelling and try it into the FX return of your Mesa and use it's tube power amp so see if that sounds good .... (also try it with power amp modelling turned on if you like).

You could then consider shifting the Mesa and getting a tube power amp if you like what you hear ...... or get a solid state amp like the Matrix GT1000FX

However, If you plan to use it direct to FOH as well as stage cabs then you will need power amp modelling definitely on and also Cab IRs present. The Cab IRs can be kept separate from the feed going to your stage amp/speakers - but the Power amp modelling needs to be on in the Amp block and might not sound that great if using a tube stage amp as you'd be plugging a tube power amp into another tube power amp and double colouring the tone.

So ........ ultimately you might be better looking at trying a solid state amp. I've used my Matrix with both FRFR and conventional cabs and it does a good job with both.

The Carvin DCM200L works well and is cheap. It it's transparent, 100 W per side stereo or 200 W bridged. I would think it would be loud enough for a garage band.

Back
Top Bottom