What difference does scale length make?

Also, the shorter 24.75 "Gibson" scale length makes some chord shapes easier to grab lower on the neck and, conversely, some shapes harder to grab further up the neck.

You'll find jazz players often using shorter scale length guitars.

Also, the shorter 24.75 "Gibson" scale length makes some chord shapes easier to grab lower on the neck and, conversely, some shapes harder to grab further up the neck.

You'll find jazz players often using shorter scale length guitars.

Yeah, this is another reason I like the PRS 25". It's right between the two other "standard" scales. It's not the "Gibson" short scale, and it's not the Fender long 25.5 scale. (I know there are others scale lengths, those are just the most common.) My fingers are of average length, and thinness, and I can play very easily at both ends of the neck on my PRS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just one more minor note to add (no pun intended) - the longer scale/tighter strings extends the harmonic frequencies content coming from the strings slightly, giving them more string-like 'character', which is helpful for the cleaner amp tones.

And the reason many guys tune 25.5" guitars to Eb is to make them feel more like their 24.75" brethren.

I don't know......I thought because the singers need the lower 1/2 step tuning in order to not have to "grab and squeeze" something in order to hit the notes. ;)

Back
Top Bottom