What did YOU part with, after the Axe fx came home....

Laskyman

Inspired
Wanting to hear some stories about the gear you parted ways with, the tears and struggle to say goodbye to the gear, and how you feel today after having the Axe...I want to check out the AXE real, real bad, but parting with my beloved gear just doesnt seem reasonable, and the 11-rack doesnt really look like the "Axe Killer" some of the owners say it is (dont get me wrong, I am sure it is cool, but it CAN NOT truly be a competitor for the Fractal...)
So, what did you sell? Was it hard? Miss it? Ever?....

Still trying to decide....

Keep in mind that I'm not playing live any more, just recording at home and on rare occasions jamming with friends, so gigging musicians might have different priorities.

First was the Carvin Legacy and a few pedals... Keeley Java Boost, Keeley modded Metal Zone, RMC wah. Then I sold the GT-8 that I was using as a foot controller for the Axe-FX and picked up a Behringer FCB1010 to replace it. (That was after I realized the GT-8 wasn't even good enough to keep around as a backup.)

Eventually I sold my Mesa Boogie Mark II-b combo amp. It was one of those with the nice wood-grain cabinet, so I miss looking at it. It has a great clean sound and can get some nice lead sounds, but it didn't have the more modern rock and metal type of gain sounds I go for. Not to mention you pretty much have to set the controls differently from clean to crunch to lead to get the most out of the various sounds that it did get. I had no good reason to keep it, beyond that strange sentimental thing when you've had a piece of gear for more than 20 years. The only amp I still have is my early 80's Laney 30-watt combo that I keep in case I need a grab and go jam session amp. The Axe-FX stays in my studio plugged into my RME FireFace and studio monitors.

Ok, I'll play...

Marshall JMP1
Sansamp PSA1.1
Mesa Boogie 20/20
TC Electronics G-Force
Marshall 4X12 with Celestion G1265's
Sonic 4X12 Celestion G1230's
74 Marshall Super Lead - Last to go.... :cry: :D
Palmer PDI09
Budda Wah
Barber Tone Press
MXR 10 band EQ
MXR Dist +
DMC Ground Control
Vox DA5

I'm not missing anything either. I also ended up with extra cash to put into a few more guitars and some recording gear. And some extra space....

Traynor YCV-80 outfitted with Hellatone 60 speakers and JJ 6L6's, and a few NOS preamp tubes..
535Q wah
Keeley BD2
Boss SD-1
Boss CH-2
Line6 DL-4
Boss TU2
Boss TR-2
Hermida ZenDrive (Made $100 on that deal)
TS9
Voodoo Labs GCX
TC G-Major
8 Space Odysee rack
Furman Power Conditioner
a boat load of patch cords
I still have a Box of tubes I'll be unloading at some point or using as decorations in my music area/office.

what a nice thread!

Rivera Quiana 212
Rivera Sedona 50
Rivera Venus 6
TC Electronic G-Force
Eventide Eclipse
Z-Vex Fuzz Factory
Rodenberg 808

I also made some more cash and bought two new guitars. Never looked back...

For Me

Cornford MK50 Mkii Head
Palmer PDI 03
TC Electronic G-Force
2 Fulltone Fat Boosts
Fulltone OCD
Lehle D-Loop
2 REd Onion Loop Switchers
Voodoo Labe Loop switcher (the 8 loop rack one)
Damage Control pedals, Glass Nexus, Demonizer, Womanizer & Liquid Blues
Boss DD3
Dunlop Wah
Korg DTR100 Tuner
6U Rack Case
Loads of Cables
2 Tier custom built 2 tier pedal board (actually still have that in the loft)

Only other things I have left from old rigs is a POD XT live (I hate it) and an Epiphone valve Jnr, But I have a 5 year old and that will be his first rig ;-)

So far:

Mesa Mark V Head
Princeton Recording Amp
TC Electronic G System

soon to go on Ebay: TC VPD pre drive pedal, Radial Tonebone Classic.

I've added an Atomic Powered wedge and kept a Mesa Stiletto 4x12. I'll eventually get a Fryette 2/90/2 for the Mesa to use when I need that level of output (bigger gigs).

My wife.......................but the trade was worth it. :p

Just kidding, got rid of her years ago.

Honestly though I think most all of my gear- amps, cabs, and efx are all on the chopping block.

My Mesa Mark IV. My dream amp for 3 years. The next thing to go was the Atomic Reactor. Sorry but way too quiet for me.

69 Bandmaster Reverb and cab
Cornell Plexi and cab
AC-30
an assortment of mikes
Barber Direct Drive
TS-8 clone
Rangemaster clone
2 digital delays
Bender fuzz clone
MXR phaser clone
Dod compressor
Dod flanger
wah
Barber Launch Pad
Bad Bob boost
morley vol pedal
a bypass loooper that the pedals were connected into

Hughes & Kettner Switchblade
Marshall JMP1
Marshall JFX1
Korg DTR2000
Behringer DI 4000
Sonic Maximizer
Alesis EQ (Forget the model no)
Marshall EL84 20/20
Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
Hughes & Kettner CC212 Cab

Basically went from a 10U rack weighing 20kg+ (plus cab) to a 4U weighing about 7kg and halfing my setup time :D

Bogner Alchemist
Fender Pro Jr
T-rex Replica
T-Rex Bloody Mary
Korg tuner
Keeley looper
Ibanez LoFi
Fulltone Drive

And probably a lot more that I don't even remember ever owning :)

I mostly parted with my sanity, for a few weeks. :D

Digging into the possibilities of the Axe-Fx when it first arrived just blew my mind. I wish I had paid attention to the "wear a helmet" advice! :lol:

Seriously, though, my ex-gear list:
78 Marshall JMP Mk II
Carvin X100 combo, 1 EVM12L
76 Fender Twin Reverb
POD XT Live
2 Tech21 PowerEngine 60s
A whole raft of pedals

I did not sell:
Traynor YCV40WR <3

I didn't have a ton of amps and stuff; I'd been an ampsim user for the most part since 1994 when the VG-8 came out.

I did however sell off some gear to fund it.

--Blackheart Little Giant that had been modded (output transformer and Bitmo triple bypass)
--ALL of my pedals (probably about 15 of them, varying levels of awesome; none of them boutique)
--A mint Ash Deluxe Telecaster that was so nice that I was uncomfortable playing it (basically just sitting around)

I laugh to myself because if I had walked into a store with that stuff and said "I'll trade you this for that Axe-FX Ultra" I can imagine being laughed out of the store. I mean the Telecaster retailed for near $2k new, but I didn't pay anywhere near that price for it.

I swear I feel like I swindled someone. :mrgreen:

Mesa Single Rectifier head
Marshall cab (still on sale)
a bunch of pedals

...Though I kept a small combo a a few pedals ( Laney LC15R + Maxon OD and Morley wah)

I didn't part with a ton of gear as so much as I evolved through a ton of gear. In my Searching for something that would do almost anything I needed in almost any situation with minimal effort and still sounded like the real deal, I wound up with the Axe.

But I guess if I had to say that I sold something it was my Lee Jackson XLS 1000 head. But I didn't sell it to acquire the Axe as the Axe just simply replaced it. After spending enough time with a lot of high end gear I knew the Axe was perfectly capable of doing the job of all the other gear I had ether demoed or owned.

Triaxis
Eventide Eclipse
TC G-Force
Looperlative LP-1
Electrix Repeater
TC D2
Lexicon MPX-1

still to go
Mesa 2:Fiftry
Four Marshall 1x12 cabs
various pedals, including Zvex Box of Rock and Fuzz Factory, EHX Riddle, Foxrox ZIM and Boss PW-10
various rack cases

i sold the loopers first and that funded a Macbook Pro and Presonus interface for looping
it was really, really hard to let the eclipse and g-force go (had them a long time)
i miss the triaxis a bit, probably because i havn't managed to nail some of the tones yet, like rhythm green and lead 2 yellow, but i havn't had the axe that long

i got two atomic powered wedges, which sound great, but they're just a bit too heavy for me, so i'm hoping to sell them on and get some verve 8ma's instead

i love axe edit - makes creating new patches a breeze - even though it's still buggy on my imac

personally, i'd like to see a few more fx in the axe, but then i'm an fx junkie...!

i've gone from 12u and 4 cabs down to 2u, a laptop and two wedges, which my back is very happy about and it means my setup time is drastically reduced. i think i'm pretty happy...i'll be very happy if i can just pin down those triaxis tones i really loved.

sim

Back
Top Bottom