What cabinets/speakers are you using with your Matrix GT1000?

Jimmytwotimes

Experienced
Hello everyone - I'm about to pull the trigger on an XL and I'm still on the fence about amplification for it. I'm now going in the direction of getting a Matrix GT1000 and a traditional 4X12 cabinet. I was interested in hearing some opinions from people and their setups, how they like them, pros/cons etc. Is 1000 enough power for a 4x12 or would the 1600 be a better option? Right now I'm considering a few 4x12's - A Freidman - because I like its top loaded with Greenbacks and bottom loaded with V30's. Also considering an Orange, and a Marshall. Any suggestions anyone may have to help me sort out all this info would be appreciated ! Thank you in advance ! :encouragement:

NL12....super light, easy to carry around and they sound really good. Need to be pushed though,
no fun at bedroom level volume, for home and recording frfr is a better way anyway

Mesa Vertical Slant 2 x 12 loaded with EVM-12Ls on Channel A and 2 x EV Full Range Wedges on Channel B

Last edited:
How are you tweaking the speaker page on the amp models? Specifically the low resonance? (can't remember if that is the exact name of the parameter off the top of my head).
I don't remember only the frequency, it is 90Hz. I used to have it at 110Hz. I always felt my tube power amp sounds better (Mesa 2:90) until I switched it to 90Hz. The amount is around 3.5~4, I can't remeber the Q (but I think it is the default value).

Guys. I just bought matrix gt800fx and nl12. But im strugling and not satisfied with the tone, whenever im off the cab sim, the tone is very2 thin. Same also when i use the return output in combo amp. Are there any special setup in axe fx when using the power amp and cabinet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the tried and true 89' Marshall 4x12. Sounds fantastic with Matrix. I tried going the light cabinet route and it just doesn't work for me. Nothing sounds right through them. Also found that while a 2x12 has a smaller size, most weigh as much as the Marshall 4x12...so what was the point....

1x12 Port City Wave, with ASW KTS-70.

and

2x12 Port City Vertical Wave, with ASW KTS-70 and EV-12L.

and

I'm interested how you like the 2x12 PC Vertical Wave, is it the oversized?
Today I have a custom 2x12 with dual EVM-12L (from the 80s) and a Matrix GM50 module mounted in the back.
I really enjoy this setup but I've been thinking of going stereo.
My plan was buying two 2x12 PC OS Vertical Wave and blending the EVM with another one and I've read good things abouth the ASW KTS-70

Yes, the oversized one. Recommended by Port City. It's large. I wouldn't want to bring two of those to gigs.

I like the KTS-70 a lot. Vintage G12H tone, yet handles cleans and heavy rock tones as well. Even on its own in the 1x12.

Paired with the EV 12L there's more transparency, articulation, more impact (at louder volume). And more top end, which suits synth sounds and such.

Yes, the oversized one. Recommended by Port City. It's large. I wouldn't want to bring two of those to gigs.

Check the forums for pictures of yek's setup. It's killer.
One look and you can tell he's been around a while.

Loopie..

and

Hmmm - I like the way you think !! I may look into that - Port City 2x12 with a KTS-70 and EVM 12L. So it sounds to me with everything i have read regarding both those speakers is that they are very transparent - which obviously would work great with something like the Axe fx...
Thanks everyone for the info - lots of choices and options here - love hearing about your rigs !

I've been on the fence about amplification ever since my first day with my AFX. Haha! I originally started with using my studio monitors (stereo), but then moved to an FRFR (Xitone 1x12) cab in attempt to utilize the AFX's cab simulation to the fullest. I'm still experimenting/struggling with that setup. Maybe it's just my ears or whatnot, but something just sounds too sterile somehow with the FRFR route and I haven't been 100% successful with it yet. I would like to take advantage of the full UltraRes offerings for cab IR's and have a more even platform between live and studio, but with the FRFR not quite doing it for me yet, I'm afraid that I may just have to resort to micing real cabs again. So... now I'm running my presets (minus the cab block) into my Carvin Legacy 2x12 cab and it's sounding the best of all my options currently. Since the newest FW versions have arrived, I can pretty much run an amp block with no extra EQ blocks and have a really decent-sounding tone without having to tweak too much. That's a good thing! :encouragement:

I would be interested in trying the Matrix NL12/212, but have read that some players are struggling with that cab and having to deal with EQing and such in attempt to find a tone that suits them. So, that leaves me questioning if maybe the traditional guitar cab is the way to go for me. I see that MANY players are going that route, much more-so now than in the past when people were still experimenting with FRFR more.

I'm following these posts closely, along with my post regarding running stereo 2x12 cabs in order to hopefully find the right path for me with my AFX in a cross platform situation (live & studio) with the least amount of issues. I hope to settle on something real soon, as this is a hurdle that I've been struggling with for quite some time.

Back
Top Bottom