What cab would you recommend for ( in home playing) w/ matrix power amp?

Sryan0416

Hello I just recently received my Axe fx 2 and would like to continue my tube amp experience for relatively quiet in home playing. I currently fender 65 deluxe reverb reissue. I would like to have a rig with power amp and cab(s). Any recommendations? I would be willing to spend approx 600 on cab(s). Thank you.

I am not looking for a specific vintage vibe sound. What I would like is the ability to model amps and cabs with authentic tube sound. So my question is additionally can I do that with a power amp (matrix or other) and a cab?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Sorry, I am new. I live in U.S. I am looking to model cabs and amps but with real tubes. Can I purchase a power amp and a separate cab or cabs? or do I need to decide on Real tube amp versus, poweramp and separate cabs? Thanks!

Sryan0416 said:
Hello I just recently received my Axe fx 2 and would like to continue my tube amp experience for relatively quiet in home playing. I currently fender 65 deluxe reverb reissue. I would like to have a rig with power amp and cab(s). Any recommendations? I would be willing to spend approx 600 on cab(s). Thank you.

I am not looking for a specific vintage vibe sound. What I would like is the ability to model amps and cabs with authentic tube sound. So my question is additionally can I do that with a power amp (matrix or other) and a cab?

Thanks for your help!

Hey Sryan0416,

A Xitone passive wedge is $459 and pairs very well with any Matrix amp. Shipping is free until the end of March as well.

More info can be found at www.xitonecabs.com and www.youtube.com/Xitone

Thanks,

Mick

Sryan0416,

Welcome to the forum!

If you want to take full advantage of the tube amp modeling (including the power amp modeling the Axe-Fx offers) and the speaker cabinet sims in the the Axe-Fx, then you'll want to go with a good solid state power amp and FRFR monitor(s). I just did a review of the Matrix GT800FX solid state power amp paired up with a XiTone 1x12 wedge FRFR monitor here: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/amps-...1x12-wedge-matrix-gt800fx-vs-rcf-nx12sma.html

The great thing about going with a separate solid state power amp like the Matrix is that you can use it with FRFR speakers and use the cab sims in the Axe-Fx, or use it with real guitar cabs (bypass the cab sims) for that "in the room" vibe.

Will the matrix add alot of sound quality to the sound with frfr monitors?

The great thing about the Matrix is... it will add NOTHING and take away NOTHING from your signal. It will simply amplify it CLEANLY with lots of headroom. Remember... you want the power amp that is used with the Axe-Fx to just amplify the signal. The Axe-Fx will provide the tube power amp flavor, quality, call it what you will. As a reminder, the Axe-Fx models both tube preamps, and tube power amps. Thus the need for your real power amp to be as flat and uncolored as possible, which the Matrix is IMO.

I tried equator D5 studio monitors which have a great sound but lacks a full base response that I love with my fender deluxe reverb. Any suggestions? I think a power amp should be part of the formula. Thanks for any advise.

I tried equator D5 monitors. They sound great but lack the full base sound. Do you have any suggestions to pair a matrix power amp with? Also what power amp would you recommend? I would like a full sound without having to play loud. Thanks again for your help!

Matt, thanks for the suggestion will the wedges give me a full base sound? I tried studio monitors but they lacked the full base sound. Thanks for you help!

Back
Top Bottom