What audio interface to buy?

Strataxe

Hi, I'm thinking about buying an audio interface for use primarily with my MacBook Pro with the following configuration:

- Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53GHz;
- 4GB SDRAM;
- 250GB Hard Disk 5400 rpm;
- Screen 13.3";
- Mac OSX 10.6 .2 (Snow Leopard).

I would like to know if anyone has or knows any of the following audio interfaces:

- Cakewalk Sonar V-Studio 100;
- Apogee Duet;
- TC Electronic Impact Twin;
-TC Electronic Desktop Konnekt 6.

For me the most important points are:
- Sound quality;
- Latency;
- Reliability and stability.

By the way, does anyone know if the mainstage 2 included in Logic Studio 9 is reliable to play backing tracks live?
Thanks.

I don't know man, I always stick with Protools, it's the best, buddy of mine has the Logic Pro 9 and he constantly raves about it, and loving it , but for me nothing bits protools.
hope it helps
cheers

Strataxe said:
By the way, does anyone know if the mainstage 2 included in Logic Studio 9 is reliable to play backing tracks live?
Thanks.
I would be interested in this too. I have Logic Studio 8 about to upgrade to Logic 9. I use Ableton Live for Click Tracks etc. I would suggest you get an audio interface that has SPDIF. That's great for the Axe FX. Presonus would be good to look at. I've used Presonus and M-Audi FireWire Solo which are not bad for the price.

Apogee Duet has one of the best AD/DA converters of the market. Also, it's an interface designed specifically for Mac. If you want very high quality, reliability and no latency monitoring, the Duet wins hands down. Although it doesn't have digital or MIDI inputs, it's reported by many users that the Analog outs have outstanding quality, which I think too. Another benefit is it's small size making it a perfect companion for a Macbook.

I bought one a few months ago and I'm very, very happy. I use it everyday with my black Macbook, which has almost the same specs as yours by the way. It works great with Snow Leopard too.

chopshop777 said:
I don't know man, I always stick with Protools, it's the best, buddy of mine has the Logic Pro 9 and he constantly raves about it, and loving it , but for me nothing bits protools.
hope it helps
cheers

Am I wrong or to use protools I have to use their hardware?
If this is true I don't want to use protools, but, thanks anyway.

rodabt said:
Apogee Duet has one of the best AD/DA converters of the market. Also, it's an interface designed specifically for Mac. If you want very high quality, reliability and no latency monitoring, the Duet wins hands down. Although it doesn't have digital or MIDI inputs, it's reported by many users that the Analog outs have outstanding quality, which I think too. Another benefit is it's small size making it a perfect companion for a Macbook.

I bought one a few months ago and I'm very, very happy. I use it everyday with my black Macbook, which has almost the same specs as yours by the way. It works great with Snow Leopard too.

Well, the quality of the AD/DA converters, low latency, reliability and the small size is what I like about the Duet (from your answer).
Another question. It's easy to record with the Duet without cliping it's inputs?
I asked about reliability because I heard about some issues and incompatibilities with some firewire interfaces and some firewire chips and it seems that the Texas Intruments chips are the good ones and the chip in my MacBook is from Agere/lucent or something like that (my MacBook Pro is one of the latest models - June 09 I think) and because of that i'm afraid it wouldn't work well with my Mac.
If you know someone who is using the Duet with one of the latest Macs, please let me know.
By the way, has you heard some of the others audio interfaces I've mentioned
Thanks.

oddb0d said:
Strataxe said:
Thanks.
I would be interested in this too. I have Logic Studio 8 about to upgrade to Logic 9. I use Ableton Live for Click Tracks etc. I would suggest you get an audio interface that has SPDIF. That's great for the Axe FX. Presonus would be good to look at. I've used Presonus and M-Audi FireWire Solo which are not bad for the price.

I already have an audio/midi interface with SPIDIF(EMU 1820m) in my PC.
Thanks anyway.

Strataxe said:
rodabt said:

Well, the quality of the AD/DA converters, low latency, reliability and the small size is what I like about the Duet (from your answer).
Another question. It's easy to record with the Duet without cliping it's inputs?
I asked about reliability because I heard about some issues and incompatibilities with some firewire interfaces and some firewire chips and it seems that the Texas Intruments chips are the good ones and the chip in my MacBook is from Agere/lucent or something like that (my MacBook Pro is one of the latest models - June 09 I think) and because of that i'm afraid it wouldn't work well with my Mac.
If you know someone who is using the Duet with one of the latest Macs, please let me know.
By the way, has you heard some of the others audio interfaces I've mentioned
Thanks.

Yes, it's quite easy to record without clipping. Nevertheless, you should take into account that all gain staging issues should be solved before getting into recording. As I said before, the Duet was designed exclusively for Mac, so reliability is there, trust me. Regarding problems on latest Macs unfortunately I don't know anybody with one of the latest Macs. I suggest you do a quick search on Google about that, but from what I've heard there has been no complaints so far.

Back
Top Bottom