what are your favourite crunch amps and cabs?

Ant Music

Fractal Fanatic
i'm really digging the Budda Twinmaster (Buttery) at the moment. i haven't played around with crunchy tones much at all, (not my speciality). trying to figure out where to start regarding cabinets too. im loving the Budda going into the 4X12 V30 or a stereo cab with the 4X12 V30 and the 2X12 Blue. what do you guys find works for you? very curious. feel free to post patches.

This is what I wrote about the Budda a few days ago on TGP:

"I like it better than the Plexi models, using a Greenback cab (4x12 20/w25w stock cab or 3rd party equivalent, or the 4x12 30w), sometimes together with an Alnico Blue (1x12 Blue stock cab or 3rd party IR). And very easy to dial in. Crank Master Volume, then use Drive for volume/gain. If the bass notes gets farty, turn up Low Cut. No problems cutting through the mix."

And this is what Cliff wrote in that thread: :))

"LOL, I did the Buttery model by ear. I listened to some clips of Buddas (Matchbox 20, remember them?) and tweaked the model until I thought it sounded like one. Screwed around a little with the tube bias points until it had the right balance of harmonics and called it a day."

far out well he i can't say he did a great job cause i don't know what a real one sounds like but in anycase it certainly sounds good to me. loving it.

The Buttery for me too. Ive used it as my stock crunch tone for the last 18 months. Its more open in the mids with more sparkle and body that the Plexi models.

The only other crunch model that gets used is the CAE one - and thats rare.

i'm using the 2X12 Blue cabinet with a R121 mic and it sounds fantastic. that is also the same cab and mic combination for my clean Fender Twin tone. what cabs are you guys using?

geamala said:
dunno. tell me how to share patches and i'll share mine with you.

If you use AxeEdit you can save a patch as a single preset and attach it to a post here.

boutique1 with 2x12 brit for the moment
I like also Mr. Z 38 SR and plexi 2

For what I imagine the tones you are using here (roots rock/Americana type of stuff); I use:

Primarily:

Eggie20
Wrecker

And any number of guitar volume rolled off Marshall flavors or the Euro Blue.

I've tried the Buttery sim a number of times and never got everything I wanted from it. I really found what I was looking for with the 1987X. It's a little trickier to work with, but the end result is exactly the sound I wanted. I'm a big fan of the 412 30 watt cab and the 212 brit for those tones.

I need to play around with the Buttery sim some more though. I may have given up on it too early.

D

Dr.Z, G12H30/Blue
Shiva, low gain (3.50), V30 or G12H30
XTC Blue, low gain, V30
Marsha BE, greenbacks
Wrecker, greenbacks (replaced the Budda)

I use the Shiva the most but I like all of them.

I like AC30TB tones alot. Also, the X99 rhythm into the Red Wirez V30 Ubercab is really nice for a thicker, more modern crunch that's still crunchy.

Back
Top Bottom