What are your expenses attending university?

TaylorMacPhail

Inspired
Hey ladies and germs, I was just curious to see what you're spending just to compare to what I spend and get a better sense of other parts of the world because I might attend university internationally some day.

Any information you wish to include is fine, I know some people are uncomfortable disclosing some of their financial information.

I'll start off by telling you a bit about mine.

I'm currently in my second year at UPEI (University of Prince Edward Island) planning to major in Psychology. I live about 15 minutes away from UPEI and my mommy and daddy take care of a lot of my meals and other duties around the house (spoiled much?). I don't have my own car but one of our cars are available to me 99% of the time but I do pay to fill the tank (about $40 a week) and the odd repair or whatever. I am full time so I have two semesters with 5 courses each. Each course is about $500 so it's about $5000 a year for just the courses BUT we get a government bursary which we get for simply staying on the island. First year they give us $2000, then it's about $500 each of the 3 remaining years (it's going to increase too says the again-elected liberals). We have awesome ways to buy and sell used textbooks, my favorite is the FaceBook group, and it's so easy to buy used books and save a LOT of cash (I got my Social Psychology book for $40 and it's $140 new). Including other fees like fitness, parking (BS!), etc, this year it came to about $5000 out of my pocket, which isn't too bad considering I made $8000 this summer at the Telecom company, so the rest will go towards my soon-to-arrive Axe Fx II and other gear (I'll be selling some of my gear in my sig as well).

We had tuition fees in Germany for some time but that's the past. Now in Bielefeld for example you have to pay ~210€ per semester. This includes 90€ for a bus and local traffic ticket and 40€ for the so called "NRW-Ticket", so you can take a train in the whole state.
You can get accommodation for 200-400€ per month, parking at the university is for free, the meals are partially financed by the land, so they are 2-2,5€ per meal. We have over 60 sports and 100 courses, nearly all of them free of charge, you would pay ~12€ per month for the fitness center, though. You don't need a car because there are lots of possibilities to get to the university and back, but if you want one fuel costs are comparatively high in Germany...

Hope that helps...

I pay about $5k per semester. Somehow, we're conned into thinking that's a reasonable rate in the U.S., even though a school like mine would have cost more like $500 per semester about 30 years ago.

You can easily look up tuition rates for just about any university online.

Each semester will cost me about $4000 AUS. However over here we don't have to pay upfront (except for textbooks), and only have repay fees once our income is above a certain threshold. I'm not sure if the same policies apply to international students, but I do get heaps of spam from my uni promoting international student exchange programs...

Very cool guys, looks like you guys have it pretty damn good! haha. I was watching a program on CNBC about the universities in the states and how they push people to go to university even though they realistically cannot afford it then they are faced with HUGE dept upon graduation....sickening.

Don't even get me started about the fact there are such thing as private prisons (U.S *cough* *cough*, that's a whole other rant haha

Each semester will cost me about $4000 AUS. [snip] I'm not sure if the same policies apply to international students

No we thoroughly rape our international students. Our international fees are even higher than what Americans have to pay (although at least they don't get stuck with an American education.)

In Denmark, all students get free education as well as financial support of ~1k$/month for up to 6 years of university. I'm grateful that I don't have to work while attending uni and that I won't have big student loans to pay off when I'm finished.

Reactions: Ole
Four years at Berklee will set you back almost $250k. I thought it was expensive in the early 80's!
My advice to anyone that can spend that kind of money is to walk away with a law degree so you can at least earn it back.

I read a report recently that US college loan debt has surpassed US credit card debt. I don't know if Americans are becoming better spenders or the unemployment line is becoming better educated.

I don't have much to add since I finished my studies 16 years ago, but you remind me of my own situation. I live pretty darn close to you ... Moncton, NB. I studied psychology for my bachelor's at Universte de Moncton. I then did my MBA at the same University. I lived at home the whole time, while borrowing my parents' third car (for me and my brother really). I somehow finished my studies with only $12k of debt. My parents had invested in some type of education savings plan (I'm doing the same for my kids). That covered my bachelors and I took care of my MBA. I was supposed to go do a PhD in Ireland, but I slowly got tied down with a house, wife, kids, etc. I was going to be an industrial/organizational psychologist but life got in the way. The good news is that I'm now a commercial banker and loving my job/life. Good luck with your studies ... and stay away from credit cards.

in the UK the cost depends upon the course and the Uni
it's generally £7k to £9 if you're a local..
much more if you're from overseas
that said, the education standard is generally very high

Med School in Canada = $15000

Med School in the USA = $250K

Any questions?

If you get a loan it will be over $500K by the time you pay it back.

These days you actually going to school for 4 years so you can be in debt for the rest of your life!

And let me add that if you are learning IT, then you are fcked bc, the technology that will be hot within 4 years doesn't' even exist yet.
What you are currently learning is already outdated!

Back
Top Bottom