What are you all filling your preset slots with since scenes became a part of the AxeFX?

Jeff B

Inspired
Hey all! So, I was just going through and updating some of my scenes when I noticed... Since scenes became a part of the AxeFX, I have literally like 3 presets (which with scenes translates to like 24 different tones/sounds/etc.). I don't need to use a different preset number for every patch that I want (clean, rhythm, lead, etc.).

Anyways, I was wondering how you guys are all filling your presets? Maybe you're not and just sticking with a few, but with all the space we have available, I was just curious to see how you guys are maximizing those slots and with what?

All my presets are pretty much the same, built from a template... The difference is my choice of "clean" amp that the scenes are built on top of.

Yeah, I use like 6 presets for gigs with different amps for each (Super Reverb, Ac30, Deluxe Reverb, Plexi, Jubilee, JC120). They all have about 3 scenes each, with mostly gain changing between scenes. I just click on IA's for individual effects.

It's good to hear how you guys are approaching your presets since I'm trying to experiment with how I want my MIDI controller setup (RJM MMGT 16). It used to be that I had different presets for each and every tone. Then I tried using it in a "song" mode where I would have different buttons for different parts of the song. Now with scenes, I'm using my buttons as scene changes and then can page up/down to get to the next preset if I want a different amp, etc. Sometimes I feel that there's so many options that I just can't find the right way. *Sigh*

I guess I'm so used to having just that one-amp tone (amp of choice) from my tube amp days, that now I have to realize I have so many amps at my disposal, that I should try them all and maybe start to utilize them more. I guess I'm feeling guilty having so many empty preset slots that it makes me feel like I'm nowhere near using the AxeFX to the fullest. Haha!

I haven't used themes yet. I like to have a preset for each tone. I add amp, cab, effects, etc. blocks with only what I want for that particular preset. It keeps the memory usage real low. I switch to the preset and use my controller's stomp box mode to turn on and off effects. I thought about using scenes, but felt there is no need for me.

I haven't used themes yet. I like to have a preset for each tone. I add amp, cab, effects, etc. blocks with only what I want for that particular preset. It keeps the memory usage real low. I switch to the preset and use my controller's stomp box mode to turn on and off effects. I thought about using scenes, but felt there is no need for me.

The main need is for seamless "preset" changes... If you don't need to change presets mid-song then the other reason is for changing multiple settings with a single button press. For example, kicking on a Drive block, a delay block, and a switching compressors for a solo.

Scenes are very useful!

I use a template with global blocks and vary the preset by distortion amp. I use 5 scenes per preset with x/y versions of blocks that primarily change for clean/dist. I use 2 rhythm scenes, usually the difference is the x/y state of the drive block. A lead scene (activates delay, slightly higher output level), a clean scene (y value of the amp/cab, maybe a mod on by default), and an acoustic scene (deactivates amps/cabs, kicks in a tone match block and EQ). It's sort of a swiss army knife patch and I just have different versions of it. I'm not playing live, just in my basement. If I were playing live I I think I would have song based presets. I'd still probably still use scenes within the songs though.

I use both presets and scenes (liquid foot jr+ makes this very easy). I've been using midi pedals since the late 80's, so I've been used to pressing the switches at the right time. While playing with the band the audio gap is a non-issue changing presets for me.

I use both presets and scenes (liquid foot jr+ makes this very easy). I've been using midi pedals since the late 80's, so I've been used to pressing the switches at the right time. While playing with the band the audio gap is a non-issue changing presets for me.
I think that is entirely dependant on the song, type of music, etc...

I use five main presets 90% of the time; clean, bluesy, midgain/Marshall, higain, lead and use scenes with them as required along with manually adding FX as needed. For specialty songs (Run Like Hell/Floyd, and specific FX settings for a tune- ie. pitch settings, etc.) I have dedicated presets.

I have banks dedicated for recording presets and ones tweaked for low volume/headphone/practice use. I also have banks with synth/experimental/ambient tones (Simeon's awesome Rush Tom Sawyer intro synth lives here) and several banks which consist of amp/cab tones I discover while testing out new combinations. When I find something I really like I save it to those banks but don't use them live; they are just to keep 'on deck' if I'm looking for something particular at some point. Sometimes I find a combination that I really like and swap it to my main live preset bank.

Yek's presets! They are really good for getting a taste of the amp models, so I'm about to load them all into one bank.

But agree, I am not exactly short of space for things I need. I have about 10 presets that could easily be everything I ever need, but I might duplicate them with small adjustments for different guitars.

Liam

Back
Top Bottom