What are these two chords? -- Sade Paradise near the end

Dave Merrill

Axe-Master
Most of the song is just 1m7 > 4dom7, but twice (I think) near the end, on the last beat before going back to the 1m, there's a chord outside the key.
I want to say it might be a 13th a half step above the root the first time.
Something similar but I think not the same happens next time around the pattern.
First time is around here.

No instruments to check with right now and I'm curious.
What are those two chords?

Fmin //// | Fmin/Bb // Dmaj(2nd inversion)/F //

so effectively, Dmaj (A, D, F#) over an F

F / A(3) D(6/13) F# (b9) = F6(b9) but the fact that there is no functioning dominant present (F7 = Eb=7th) throws you off.

Fmin //// | Fmin/Bb // Dmaj(2nd inversion)/F //

so effectively, Dmaj (A, D, F#) over an F

F / A(3) D(6/13) F# (b9) = F6(b9) but the fact that there is no functioning dominant present (F7 = Eb=7th) throws you off.
Interesting.
It's just a D Maj chord, but played over the F Minor sounds like that?
I'm surprised.

Do you think the next time around it's the same?
Would have thought it wasn't, similar but not the same.

you could put any chord in it's place and it would work. not sure about 2nd time, prob the same.
the reason why we can mix any chord from any key over anything, is because of equal temperament (as you know of course)

@Bakerman, don't suppose I could get you to chime in on this, could I?
Way beneath your usual work, but I don't think I buy the above explanation.
I actually checked it out yesterday and the A-D-F♯ voicing seems correct. First one (2:48) sounds like there's an E grace note into F♯, vocal holding a lower E♭ ("you") might also play some role in the second one (3:07) sounding different.

Bigger picture, if I was looking for a one beat accent chord, it never would have occurred to me to play D Major over F Minor.
The A natural, that right there would have gotten a hard no from me, maybe unless it was a whole chord raised a half step that then drops down.
Not in a million years would I have done what that arrangement did, and it's very cool, so foo on me.

Not unnoticed by them either.
It gets copied in every live version of that song I've seen.

Back
Top Bottom