What are the options for this use case with the FM9?

JasonE

Inspired
I am looking at the FM9 to be able to run a PRS with Piezo guitar into it and run two separate signal chains. Here is what I am thinking so far.

Magnetic pickups in input 1 and then out to the FOH. This would have it's own signal chain with everything in it that I need for amp, cab and effects.
Piezo pickup into input 2 then out to FOH from output 2. This would have a little compression and a couple of other light effects on it.
Both of these would either be sent back to IEM or tapped off at the back of the FM9 and into IEMs.

Here are some questions that I have not been able to answer from the documentation that I have read.
  • How can I setup a solo boost for my magnetic pickup chain? I know I can turn on a stomp pre or post amp in the signal chain. I am more curious as to how the configuration of the footswitches would be setup to where I can click one switch to boost then again to turn it off.
  • Does the FM9 have anything in it for acoustic processing that would be similar to a Fishman Aura? That is what I currently use on my Piezo output.
As I am typing this I am realizing that the bulk of the things I am not clear on is how to setup the footswitches to work for playing live for ease of use. I watched a couple of videos on it and didn't see a way to make this work the way I would like it to work and that is what left me with my questions.
  • I would like to be able to click on a preset and have the two signal chains like I mentioned above and then possibly be able to step on that same switch for a solo boost and then again to turn that off.
  • I may possibly want to setup a boost for the acoustic signal chain as well.
  • I want to be able to step on another switch to switch to a different preset.
    • I typically use maybe 4 or 5 tones in a night with varying degrees of gain from completely clean to the higher end of medium gain. I would have all of these presets setup almost identically with both magnetic and acoustic signal chains. This should allow me to change to any of them and have the acoustic chain where I want it.
    • I change from clean to overdriven within the same song often.
    • I use acoustic with both clean and overdriven sounds within the same song. I sometimes use both at the same time when on a clean channel.
I just haven't been able to work out how I can do all of this and make is simple for switching. I need to have this worked out before my name comes up on the waitlist. I need to know if it will do what I want it to do.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide in getting my head wrapped around this.

Your planned 2-input signal, 2 distinct signal chain use case will work no problem. Running a parallel line for piezos is not uncommon and works well with the FM9.

How can I setup a solo boost for my magnetic pickup chain? I know I can turn on a stomp pre or post amp in the signal chain. I am more curious as to how the configuration of the footswitches would be setup to where I can click one switch to boost then again to turn it off.
Lots of ways to approach this. Given your piezo signal flow is simple, you might just want to assign a switch to change the output level of last block in the row that processes the piezo signal. You can use a switch as a control switch and assign it to a parameter on the effect and toggle that parameter between two values. You can actually assign the switch to toggle multiple parameters on multiple blocks at once if you wanted to get fancy here.

Does the FM9 have anything in it for acoustic processing that would be similar to a Fishman Aura? That is what I currently use on my Piezo output.
The Aura is an IR player. You can run a CAB block on your piezo signal line and drop an acoustic guitar IR in the CAB block to process the piezo signal. This works very well. I've posted a bunch about doing this with my acoustic guitars with piezo pickups. Check this post out: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/3-sigma-j45-impulse-response-test.163950/#post-1965481

A CAB block does use more CPU so you'll need to balance your electric guitar signal chain and piezo signal chain. There are plenty of EQ blocks that are mighty powerful though that use less CPU that you can employ to tame the piezo signal chain if the CAB block uses too much CPU for your needs.

As I am typing this I am realizing that the bulk of the things I am not clear on is how to setup the footswitches to work for playing live for ease of use. I watched a couple of videos on it and didn't see a way to make this work the way I would like it to work and that is what left me with my questions.
Some thigns are just better learned by doing, and that's likely the case here. I will say that all of the bullets you posted are trivially easy to setup on the switches on the FM9. Your needs don't look overly complex from what you've posted and the FM9 will be able to do what you need it to do, switch-wise, here without issue.

Your planned 2-input signal, 2 distinct signal chain use case will work no problem. Running a parallel line for piezos is not uncommon and works well with the FM9.

Lots of ways to approach this. Given your piezo signal flow is simple, you might just want to assign a switch to change the output level of last block in the row that processes the piezo signal. You can use a switch as a control switch and assign it to a parameter on the effect and toggle that parameter between two values. You can actually assign the switch to toggle multiple parameters on multiple blocks at once if you wanted to get fancy here.

The Aura is an IR player. You can run a CAB block on your piezo signal line and drop an acoustic guitar IR in the CAB block to process the piezo signal. This works very well. I've posted a bunch about doing this with my acoustic guitars with piezo pickups. Check this post out: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/3-sigma-j45-impulse-response-test.163950/#post-1965481

A CAB block does use more CPU so you'll need to balance your electric guitar signal chain and piezo signal chain. There are plenty of EQ blocks that are mighty powerful though that use less CPU that you can employ to tame the piezo signal chain if the CAB block uses too much CPU for your needs.

Some thigns are just better learned by doing, and that's likely the case here. I will say that all of the bullets you posted are trivially easy to setup on the switches on the FM9. Your needs don't look overly complex from what you've posted and the FM9 will be able to do what you need it to do, switch-wise, here without issue.

Thank you very much for your reply. The information you provided makes me feel a good bit better. I knew that my needs were not very complex. I usually try to keep things simple. That is why I am trying to make sure I can set this up in a way that fits the needs and is super easy to operate at a live gig.

I like the idea of an IR for the acoustic chain. I can see me only using a compressor, IR, delay and maybe a little chorus on that chain. The boost would probably be the only other thing. I have been running with either the Aura or a FlyRig Acoustic. I actually went to the FlyRig because it has the boost and effects all built in. I honestly like the sound of the Aura better for the base sound. That is why I like the idea of the IR block for this.

Very interesting post for me. :cool: I am in the same situation. I am currently running a PRS Hollowbody II Piezo into a Helix and have the same dual path scenario set up in a number of presets. I am also on the FM9 waitlist and I do need the FM9 to run the same type of signal paths. I'm parsing through the documentation and have assumed from what I have read so far that this would be very doable, but I don't know exactly how it will translate over to the FM9 yet. I am also using a number of "Acoustic" IR's including some from 3Sigma as in the linked post from @iaresee. These have worked out pretty well for me. I also used to use a Fishman Aura some time back.

Trying to figure out how to use similar set up but include virtual capo (only 1 block) both inputs and separate outputs...

I forgot I had even put this post up. I was able to get this setup within a day after I received my FM9. I actually had to streamline the preset because I was pushing the CPU too hard. I forget which firmware exactly it was, maybe 3, that lowered the CUP usage of the blocks I was using so I was able to add the stuff back in that I had to take out. I uploaded one version of my preset to the exchange. It is still out there if anyone wants a preset to start with. You can find it my searching on my username.

Back
Top Bottom