What amp/cab combos do you suggest for jazz tone?

biggness

Power User
I am messing around with some jazz licks, and would like some suggestions for a fat, warm, and mellow jazz tone.

Thanks in advance. :)

I've had good luck with the USA Clean 2 and the CA3+, with various cab combinations (surprisingly, mostly 4x12's).

Pretty much any amp you can get to not distort will work. Most of the Fenders, Atomica Low, Bludojai Clean, Brit JM45 & 1987X Normal / Treble all can sound great, especially the 1987X.

I had a really nice warm buttery tone on a track I did the other day with the JC120 model and one of the Twin cabs, don't remember which one. The heritage 575 guitar certainly didn't hurt either.

Vibro-King for me. On the Neck pickup of the JP6 it is fat jazz cat heaven. Roll off the treble and add some medium room reverb. Make sure you don't let it break up and WOWZER.

A PEQ works fine by itself, if you want an amp for a little warmth the Tube Pre is pretty good, if you feel the need to use a cab block then mixing in one of the 15" bass cabs will thicken things up.

Actually, I don't agree with the " pretty much every amp"

I really can't get satisfied with fat, round, oily enough jazz sounds. It just doesn't. " Pat Metheny, Kurt Rosenwinkel vibes mostly what I'm trying to reach"

Actually, I don't agree with the " pretty much every amp"

I really can't get satisfied with fat, round, oily enough jazz sounds. It just doesn't. " Pat Metheny, Kurt Rosenwinkel vibes mostly what I'm trying to reach"

I believe what I said was Pretty much any amp you can get to not distort will work
Of course, what may work for me may not work for you. That's the way is is and always will be.

I've been playing virtually all my jazz gigs using a patch consisting of the Tube Pre, a PEQ, and a Medium Plate 'verb.
I go back and forth between using a cab mix, or just bypassing it. For most the jazz gigs I've been doing, it sounds best to me bypassed... but maybe that presumes an acoustically nice-sounding jazz archtop.

'63 Vibroverb. The first time I heard one of those in a bar 20 years ago, I thought, "sh@t, that's one of the warmest jazz tones I have ever heard." It turned out it was '63 reissue through the bright channel, so I went out and bought one.

On the Axe FX II, the Vibroverb block through the Cab 89: 2x10 Super Tweed Mix comes the closest. That's the one I use for standards.

Reactions: Cem
I've been playing virtually all my jazz gigs using a patch consisting of the Tube Pre, a PEQ, and a Medium Plate 'verb.
I go back and forth between using a cab mix, or just bypassing it. For most the jazz gigs I've been doing, it sounds best to me bypassed... but maybe that presumes an acoustically nice-sounding jazz archtop.

+1 for Tube Pre. My main gigging patch is a mix between tube pre and the vibroverb. I think it works so well because an archtop needs an amp without a ton of low resonance. Perhaps some other amps would work better with an archtop if the low resonance was turned down.

Regarding the "fat, round, oily jazz sounds," don't forget to set your amp a little brighter than you normally would and make up for it by rolling the tone knob back.

I really like the sound of my eastman through the CA+3, as well. Despite all my effort to get a good sound out of the jazz chorus, I really just couldn't make it work.

I find that the IR is the most important thing for jazz tones. This is the case with every other style too, but with jazz it seems using an amp model isn't even necessary if you have the right IR. I usually use the tube pre model to add a tiny bit of warmth, but hardly touch the controls - at most some small tweaks in the GEQ tab.

Back
Top Bottom