What am I doing wrong?

EightmanVT

Inspired
I seem to be off to a slow start. Just hooked the Axe-Fx up to my iMac - via USB - but can't seem to get audio out of my iMac speakers (no monitors set up yet). I've checked Sys preferences - it sees the Axe FX (yes, I installed the drivers) and it shows a signal when I play my guitar. I have the output set to the computer's built in speakers - but still no joy. I brought up Axe-Edit - and it doesn't seem to see the Axe-Fx at all. I must be missing something simple.... I even tried creating an aggregate device - which is what I need to do for GTR Rig - but nothing. My headphones aren't cutting it - that's for sure. I guess I'll go drag a cab upstairs - the wife will really get mad now though...

It shows up as I/O options in System Preferences>Audio. I was able to get audio by bringing up Garage band - setting it up to use the Axe-Fx as an input source - not sure why it doesn't work without GB though. No matter though - I'm going to drag up a cab in a few - or take this downstairs. Any ideas why Axe-Edit isn't seeing the Fx?

You'll need a host/DAW in OSX to connect the Axe as an input to the Mac's output (speakers). Guitar Rig's standalone mode has it's own host. The Axe is just an audio/midi interface in OSX, not a host, vst, etc.

1. Make an aggregate device using the AxeII and your Mac's built in output.

2. Use a DAW (GuitarBand will work, Reaper is really nice) select the aggregate device under Preferences/Audio & Midi. Select the Axe as track source and use the Mac's default output for the mix, make sure track is armed (recording enabled in Garage Band) and not muted.

Regarding Axe Edit - Look for the 'Settings' button in Axe Edit, select MIDI settings in the drop down. Select your Axe II under Midi Input and Midi Output. Click 'Test Connection' at the bottom of the screen.

Last edited:
Ahhhh - Thank you Max. That explains problem number 1 and fixed problem number 2. Thank you very much. I definitely need some monitors - I'm so behind the times... :|

An odd thing happens though with GB - everyonce in a while - it will hiccup - and then there's a good 750ms latency that appears and stays until you restart GB.

Good to hear, I've been thinking about what could be causing the Garage Band problems but drawing a blank.

Yes - very bizarre - but all is good now - although still haven't gotten my e-mail from Reaper with my license code. Oh well. Now I'm having fun... still need some good monitors though.

Back
Top Bottom