What am I doing wrong?

Hi all,

I'm appealing to the trained-ears/people in the know out there as to what is occurring with my setup currently.

I set up exactly the same patch as Misha is using in the following video @1:10

...so why does mine sound like this?!:

Any assistance or advice/further questions welcome!

Jim.

Try to raise the Input Trim and Master Volume in the Amp...this might help.
Are you sure Misha did not change any of the Global settings?

Thankyou for your quick response. The input trim assisted with the gain, but the scooped, ballsy nature of Misha's tone is still evading me. I'm not sure about any Global setting adjustments... what settings were you thinking?

I understand that tone is in the fingers etc, but the 'character' of my recording is something that plagues all my patches in comparison to sound samples of how they SHOULD sound.

Can you hear the 'character' I am talking about?

Thankyou for your quick response. The input trim assisted with the gain, but the scooped, ballsy nature of Misha's tone is still evading me. I'm not sure about any Global setting adjustments... what settings were you thinking?

I understand that tone is in the fingers etc, but the 'character' of my recording is something that plagues all my patches in comparison to sound samples of how they SHOULD sound.

Can you hear the 'character' I am talking about?

Especially the global EQ Settings.

I agree about fingers etc...but heyyyyyy that's the reason u bought an amp modeler for...you want to MATCH that sound.

Is your problem with it the fullness and diversity of the frequencies in the tone?

You might possibly also want to check your recording level, and the output of your patch from the axe-fx. If your levels are not set well for this some frequencies and fullness will seem to drop out. Check the VU meter under Ultility-VU, try to make sure that your output is closer to unity/-0dB or possibly above it into some maybe half way between unity and the clip. See if that helps improve your recording quality some.

The problem is that (correct me if I am wrong) with similar guitar, and the same preset- I should be in the same ballpark just needing to tweak slightly. However mine does not sound close.

Let me go a step further... I will record a clip linking to this thread. You'll hear the 'character' that I have mentioned.

Hey Rockstar,

You have probably heard this before but I'll repeat: 95% of presets by others always fall short of your expectations. Unfortunately you either just have to tweak that one to sound right, or start from scratch. You will probably find it harder but (in the end) easier to start from scratch.

Hey Rockstar,

You have probably heard this before but I'll repeat: 95% of presets by others always fall short of your expectations. Unfortunately you either just have to tweak that one to sound right, or start from scratch. You will probably find it harder but (in the end) easier to start from scratch.

This is exactly what I have found. I have only been able to use a couple of presets I downloaded & only after a LOT of tweaking. I don't bother with downloading presets anymore unless it is a specific effect I like. The basic amp-cab sounds I need to make my own.

tone wise it doesn't sound that far off to me...his is obviously hotter/louder, but the tonal characteristics are the same to my ears.

There was a thread not too long ago with someone asking why his tone didn't sound like this video with the same settings as well, I remember the main points being that this tone is on fw 18 or 19 and his pickup height was off.

I would say this is a byproduct of the way misha plays as well as guitar setup, pickup height, etc. BKP are especially sensitive to height differences. How far away are yours? Also, how old are your strings?

Same string brand? To me personally, that makes a huge difference.
And a stupid question, but just in case- are you on the same firmware as him?

My first reaction to this was "is Matt joking?"

No joke. The sound has more details, depth and is more open. This is exactly what I hear when I change from my masterbuilt telecaster to a standard production model - you can really hear the wood. But other things alter the sound too - who knows what Misha did with his preset etc. exactly - ask him. In the video you listen to his guitar sound over studio speakers recorded with the camera mic - your sound file is direct to DAW. So not apples to apples.

Back
Top Bottom