What 1987X mod is?

javajunkie said:
mtmartin71 said:
MusicManJP6 said:
I'm having some trouble dialing this amp in to sound good. Can someone recommend me some settings? It seems I have to crank the master and gain all the way up to get decent amount of distortion and it is flubby as all "WATCH yo mouth"....

I found the same thing that you did. I want the 1987x to work for me, but it has a bassiness that can't be dialed out, even with a filter. I long for something in-between the Plexi 1 and 1987x. I little "kerrang" with a tighter, less prominent bass footprint. I think that's why I don't like the JTM45. After a lot of playing with real tube amps (albeit not heads and 4x12s) plus the AxeFX models, I've discovered I don't like a real thick bass sound for my guitar. Leave that to the bassist! I like the more classic (or so I thought) Marshall mid-range sound with tight and even bass. The Plexi 1 has smoother bass content although it doesn't dial in quite the way I want it. It's still a little too gainy getting it closer to the JCM800. I went back to this model though for my Plexi patch because of my issues getting a sound I like out of the 1987x. AFAIK, that's how a 1987x sounds!

Plexi 2?

I'll play with that. I kind of viewed that as a clean Plexi patch but I didn't really play with it much. What do you think of the 1987x?

Welp it sounds just like a real 1987x. Look up a youtube demo from progutiarsop. Same flabby bass and all. I acutally like it even thought i have little use for it.

I like it MUCH better though with the 4.7nf cap.
~mx~

You guys may already know this but I thought it may be helpful in case you dont. I have had a lot of experience with marshalls. One thing I can tell you is that any 1987 (50 watt) model does not generate a lot of distortion by itself (by modern standards). A major part of the sound is in its very high volume levels. You will never get a true plexi sound at low volumes. I suggest that you go to your favorite store and plug into one, crank it til it only starts getting more saturated and you will see that the volume of this amp is pretty outrageous and is a part of the mojo. I think you will find that at comparable levels, the 1987 sim is pretty close to the classic plexi sound. For an even better plexi sound, try the marsha be or brown (imho). Also, the 1959 100watt, 1987 50 watt, and jcm 800's will vary greatly in the way they sound - model to model - that is. I personnally like the 1987's (channels jumpered) but have played many that didn't work for me. I also like the jcm 800's but they vary in sound a lot also. There are quantifiable reasons for this, such as coupling cap type (although very subtle), power supply voltage (which effects the tone and feel greatly) ect. The different sims in the axe cover the tones fairly well, but in order to really compare apples to apples, you must match volume and speakers.

guitarmike said:
You guys may already know this but I thought it may be helpful in case you dont. I have had a lot of experience with marshalls. One thing I can tell you is that any 1987 (50 watt) model does not generate a lot of distortion by itself (by modern standards). A major part of the sound is in its very high volume levels. You will never get a true plexi sound at low volumes. I suggest that you go to your favorite store and plug into one, crank it til it only starts getting more saturated and you will see that the volume of this amp is pretty outrageous and is a part of the mojo. I think you will find that at comparable levels, the 1987 sim is pretty close to the classic plexi sound. For an even better plexi sound, try the marsha be or brown (imho). Also, the 1959 100watt, 1987 50 watt, and jcm 800's will vary greatly in the way they sound - model to model - that is. I personnally like the 1987's (channels jumpered) but have played many that didn't work for me. I also like the jcm 800's but they vary in sound a lot also. There are quantifiable reasons for this, such as coupling cap type (although very subtle), power supply voltage (which effects the tone and feel greatly) ect. The different sims in the axe cover the tones fairly well, but in order to really compare apples to apples, you must match volume and speakers.

Mike...thanks for that info. I do not have any experience playing the real deal on stage so that helps to know. I think I'm just going to pick with my ears a bit more for my application and not worry so much about the name on the amp sim.

guitarmike said:

Thats a very good often overlooked yet fairly obvious point, volume! People wonder why they can't get "cranked Plexi tone" at low volumes with their attenuators or load boxes, you need the decibels!

This is an area where I feel mis-represents Modelers and such.

Let me qualify this by I'm talking about NON-RECORDING situations generally.

I feel as if there is NO WAY to get that perfect 'cranked Plexi' tone at bedroom volumes. There's a Guitar-Amp interaction that only happens when that sucker is stooopid loud. You can *kind* of simulate it, by some tweaks, and it sounds good, but I think people notice over time that it's not quite there until you are killing small creatures with volume.

I think it's not correct to expect this out of a modeler. My opinion by virtue of searching endlessly for the perfect bedroom solution. Many years of it. You can get the tone-ish, but the vibe and 'mojo' for lack of a better word, just isn't there.

For this 1987x, I just spent a few minutes on it, but it seems right to me. Most people I knew who favored these would set it up with light crunch, dial back on the guitar for cleans, full out on guitar for hair, then step on a pedal or 2 for full out crunch and/or leads.

Ron

electronpirate said:
I feel as if there is NO WAY to get that perfect 'cranked Plexi' tone at bedroom volumes. There's a Guitar-Amp interaction that only happens when that sucker is stooopid loud. You can *kind* of simulate it, by some tweaks, and it sounds good, but I think people notice over time that it's not quite there until you are killing small creatures with volume.

+1 You need to crank the "real" poweramp with the Axe, using a real cab to get results. Do you get there with FRFR on bedroom volumes? I don't think so. Nothing compares when the speakers are starting to move air. Micked tones are a different story. Yes it's there.

MusicManJP6 said:
I'm having some trouble dialing this amp in to sound good. Can someone recommend me some settings? It seems I have to crank the master and gain all the way up to get decent amount of distortion and it is flubby as all "WATCH yo mouth"....

Engaging the Bright switch and adjusting the Bright cap value makes a big difference.

This model sounds ok, this is even now the more accurate plexi model.
It sounds like it does.

I would really welcome the "jumpered" Plexi model with the drive as the bass channel master volume, and the regular MV as the bright channel MV.

I would really welcome the "jumpered" Plexi model with the drive as the bass channel master volume, and the regular MV as the bright channel MV.

+1 :p

This is my fav way to run a plexi. I find the bright channel too bright by itself and the normal channel too dark by itself. However when you jumper them, the amp just comes alive; great crunch with the guitar volume up and great cleans with it rolled back. Kick in a TS for leads. It would be interesting to know if Page, Hendrix, or other marshall tone masters ran their marshalls this way or not.

Let me add that I am in know way disappointed in the axe; I find that I can get really close to any sound and feel I want with this unit. Even the jumpered plexi. It actually goes beyond replacing "a" real tube amp for me; it replaces a "bunch" of real amps and a rack full of effects. Hopefully I can post some sounds in the future - finding the time these days and with so many incredibly talented people here make for a pretty high bar to reach.

guitarmike said:

+1 :p

This is my fav way to run a plexi. I find the bright channel too bright by itself and the normal channel too dark by itself. However when you jumper them, the amp just comes alive; great crunch with the guitar volume up and great cleans with it rolled back. Kick in a TS for leads. It would be interesting to know if Page, Hendrix, or other marshall tone masters ran their marshalls this way or not.

Let me add that I am in know way disappointed in the axe; I find that I can get really close to any sound and feel I want with this unit. Even the jumpered plexi. It actually goes beyond replacing "a" real tube amp for me; it replaces a "bunch" of real amps and a rack full of effects. Hopefully I can post some sounds in the future - finding the time these days and with so many incredibly talented people here make for a pretty high bar to reach.
Will running one plexi sim (with power amp off) into another (with the PA on) give the same effect as jumpering?

stevorc321 said:
[
Will running one plexi sim (with power amp off) into another (with the PA on) give the same effect as jumpering?

An interesting thought here. But I'd think you'd get the same effect if you ran 2 Plexi's in parallel.

But I would think with all the parameters you have to deal with as it is, you can get that tone without running dual amps. Flash back to my 'stoopid loud' comment.

BTW, I am able to get great cleans by dialing guitar volume back and kicking up to 10 for crunch during solos with the existing Plexi's. Frankly, it was one of my 'truth' moments...the Axe-FX passed my test here marvelously... I struggled for a bit with getting mud and loss of treble at low guitar volumes, but with a few tweaks on the Advanced Tab, I was there. And if it was too bright wide open, they thoughtfully gave me a 'Tone' knob on my guitar (who knew?) that I rarely touch.

Ron

I finally loaded up the new firmware tonight and gave it a spin. I had a 1987x for a few years and this model is very much like that amp. It pretty much does what I expect based on past experience. I think Cliff nailed it, this model does the job, for better or worse. When I had the real thing I always had to turn the bass way down, same with this model. The gain isn't super high, just like it wasn't on the real amp. I can set the controls in the AxeFx the same way I set them on the real amp and the sound coming out is very familiar.

p

stevorc321 said:

You can't disable the PA section of amp blocks. It's globally on or off. As far as I know only the bright channel is simulated on all of the Plexi sims. Bright cap and the bright channel is a different thing, so if you turn off the bright cap, it will not turn the sim into a bass channel, but a bright channel without the bright cap.

aftec said:
stevorc321 said:

You can't disable the PA section of amp blocks.
You disable poweramp in the amp black by turning sag to zero...and you could tweak the non PA amp to resemble the bass channel (if you could be bothered that is). I'm sure there are easier and less CPU intensive ways of getting the same sound though.

Back
Top Bottom