Whammy

rockhound252

Inspired
Hii all. For what i know, the Edge is using an auto whammy during the intro of this song. It's possible to do that? He is still using the AXE FXII but must be the same than the III.

Thank for advance

It's possible. He's not by his pedalboard when the whammy turns off for the verse section. Could also be using a MIDI sequencer to drive the pattern for set number of bars too. It looks like he maybe kicks it off on the pedalboard at the start of the song.

The way I’m hearing this, I suspect the Whammy in this case is part of the backing track for the song, while he’s simply strumming a power chord over it. That said, he has played the part live with the Whammy in the past (see the Popmart tour)…

Whatever's doing that seems different from the album part, with whammy going 12, 0, 12 on 3 consecutive 8ths while the album just sounds like it has the first move up to +12 plus a louder quarter note delay. Anyway, here's a preset with scenes 1 & 2 for both versions. Just hit the octave/chord and the envelope controller will run the sequencer. It will repeat in time but you can mute quickly to resync on beat 4.5 if needed. For the studio version it's kind of important to play the notes again on beat 1.5 to make it sound right. Try moving delay after amp (may want to adjust mix/fdbk/ducker then) if this sounds too grungy.

Attachments

• U2 Real Thing.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 12
Whatever's doing that seems different from the album part, with whammy going 12, 0, 12 on 3 consecutive 8ths while the album just sounds like it has the first move up to +12 plus a louder quarter note delay. Anyway, here's a preset with scenes 1 & 2 for both versions. Just hit the octave/chord and the envelope controller will run the sequencer. It will repeat in time but you can mute quickly to resync on beat 4.5 if needed. For the studio version it's kind of important to play the notes again on beat 1.5 to make it sound right. Try moving delay after amp (may want to adjust mix/fdbk/ducker then) if this sounds too grungy.

That demo is an autowhammy you did?

Hii all. For what i know, the Edge is using an auto whammy during the intro of this song. It's possible to do that? He is still using the AXE FXII but must be the same than the III.

Thank for advance

As Marc0810 said, maybe Is Dallas (Edge's tech) that moves the pedal. Normally he has it's whammy pedal in it's main pedal board (tech has a Copy underground but without all the "expression pedals" included whammy). In this tour no One has seem pictures of his on stage pedalboard , so maybe they modified the layout and took away some expression pedals and out them off stage to make them playable by Dallas... As far as It sounds, It don't seems to be a layered guitar on backing track (It's kind of more aggressive sound than usual...)

As Marc0810 said, maybe Is Dallas (Edge's tech) that moves the pedal. Normally he has it's whammy pedal in it's main pedal board (tech has a Copy underground but without all the "expression pedals" included whammy). In this tour no One has seem pictures of his on stage pedalboard , so maybe they modified the layout and took away some expression pedals and out them off stage to make them playable by Dallas... As far as It sounds, It don't seems to be a layered guitar on backing track (It's kind of more aggressive sound than usual...)
From the information I have, Dallas wasn't moving the pedal because was seen tuning the guitars. That's the reason i think he is using some auto Whammy.

Backing track or MIDI sequenced, I highly doubt Dallas is doing it. U2 has a LOT of backing tracks so wouldn't be too much effort to add this to them either MIDI or audio.

Whatever's doing that seems different from the album part, with whammy going 12, 0, 12 on 3 consecutive 8ths while the album just sounds like it has the first move up to +12 plus a louder quarter note delay. Anyway, here's a preset with scenes 1 & 2 for both versions.

He presses the pedal twice live. (or used to)

Backing track or MIDI sequenced, I highly doubt Dallas is doing it. U2 has a LOT of backing tracks so wouldn't be too much effort to add this to them either MIDI or audio.
During Innocence+Experience Tour, we could see Dallas moving the pedal in the stage for that song. He usually do this work, but it's difficult to do while you are tuning the guitars..

From the information I have, Dallas wasn't moving the pedal because was seen tuning the guitars. That's the reason i think he is using some auto Whammy
I didn't mean to say that I was sure it was Dallas playing the whammy, rather it was my feeling based on the way of working that I know they have (an example would be the wah wah interlude of "get on your boots" in which dallas goes on stage to play the pedal (with his hand) and change the preset in the "break").
based on this it seemed unusual (but not impossible) to think another of the two options, or at least the "auto whammy" option since this would involve the use of a modern device (fractal or other harmonizer) when it is known that the edge tends to use vintage effects where possible in certain cases. but we know equally well that he is a great experimenter, so if the information is that Dallas was busy at the time of the intro of "even better" it means that any other alternative to the traditional whammy is possible... who knows...

this sounds really good btw, good job!

I made a couple small changes to the preset above (attached). When you play the riff, pluck the first two notes (1/8th notes) and I think it's close.....

Attachments

• U2 Real Thing-AUTOWHAMMY.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 6
Back
Top Bottom