Whammy with synth?

pima1234

Fractal Fanatic
I'm trying to get the effect of a whammy (Ad. Whammy from -12 to +24) running into the Synth Lead patch X263.

Have a pitch block after the compressor, before the synth. Using a Mission EP-1 into MFC Expression 1 jack. Pedal is assigned to #16, and is calibrated. Pitch source is set to local. CTRL Source modifier is EXTRN 1, and the control does move from 0-100%. Mix is at 100%. And no pitch change occurs, only a slight volume drop heel down, and a slight increase toe down.

Please help. I need this for one brief effect for an upcoming show for the community theater.

(I could just use a slide, but I'd rather use the pedal... and I want to make sure that everything is working right.)

Thanks, in advance.

The pitch block has to be after the synth to change its pitch. Synth uses global pitch detection so shifting pitch between input & synth won't change the synth notes produced.

Sometimes you might be able to use the synth's voice shift parameter(s) for whammy-style control, which would avoid possible artifacts the pitch block can produce. Voice 2 shift already being +7 in that preset makes this more complicated, because you can't go beyond +24 shift. There's still a way (tracking envelope only and using pitch as voice freq. modifier) but the pitch block method is easier to set up.

I see. Thank you! Pulling my hair out on that one. MIDI and synth are all new territory.

I can just change the SHIFT in the synth block, but I wanted to see what effect a whammy might have before it, so I'll see what it does after the synth.

Oh yeah! That's a pretty sick effect.

Thank you.

I have years of learning ahead of me.

FYI, the sound it just for one small part in Jesus Christ Superstar, but it's fairly important.

Back
Top Bottom