Wet/dry/wet

Dude I wasn't referencing your post at all. I didn't even register your comment as it has zero to do with that side note. I was referring to my own post and just talking about the phrase in general as it gets applied to modeling vs non-modeling gear.

Asterisks added in original post for clarity.
sorry for the snark - thought I was the subject as the comment appeared under a quote of my prev post ... anyway, I use the "real" word all the time purely for clarity about what I'm talking about: (ie modelled x/y/z vs ...real? x/y/z). If there's a better term I'd use it: maybe: "Analogue" or "traditional" ... something like that. Dissing Fractal's modelling accuracy is the furthest thing from my mind when I make the "real" this or that differentiation.

sorry for the snark - thought I was the subject as the comment appeared under a quote of my prev post

No worries. My apologies for the confusion.

I use the "real" word all the time purely for clarity about what I'm talking about: (ie modelled x/y/z vs ...real? x/y/z). If there's a better term I'd use it: maybe: "Analogue" or "traditional" ... something like that. Dissing Fractal's modelling accuracy is the furthest thing from my mind when I make the "real" this or that differentiation.
Yeah man for sure. I absolutely agree and that's exactly what I meant as well. In that post I kept saying "real" because I know it most easily communicates my meaning but it's not quite accurate, ya know? Analog doesn't quite do it either. I guess traditional is closer but could still be confusing I guess. Oh well.... "real" it is 😂

Speaking of atypical rigs, I have been doing a Orange Pedal Power/1x12 Creamback cab and an EV PXM 12" FRFR for stereo.

This is easy to do in any Fractal of course, left with IR and right without, and it means something for tone, feel and dispersion of signal.

- half my cab tone is the IR variable and the other half is always that Celestion. This lets me change per song while never feeling like I've entirely pulled the rug out from under myself, like you can get if you jump far with IR types

- half of the tone has that 'guitar speaker in a box' feel that is hard to capture with FRFR - directional / beamy / etc. The sound I grew up with. While the other half has the even, amazingly wide spread we associate with some FRFRs like the EV.

The only trick is level matching Left and Right. I don't need it to be perfect, but a simple phone app goes a ways too getting you there if you don't trust your ears.

As many people on this thread have enough gear, I encourage more to try it. It's a hybrid that is fun and has some guardrails if you like to experiment.

Here's the way I route W/D/W patches. It also includes a stereo mix for Front of House so you can get your full sound from the mains without having to explain anything to the sound guy other than "here's two cables, pan hard Left and Right."

W/D/W routing can be tricky, but in this patch each block can be toggled individually with no adverse effects to other blocks or your overall wet or dry levels, as well as the ability to mix as much dry signal into wet cabs and/or wet signal into dry cabs as you want.

Output 1: FoH
Output 2: Dry cab
Output 3: Wet cabs

my kitchen sink WDW patch:
STncmu6.png

a more compact WDW patch:
3zJIRMR.png

I made a thread explaining it in more detail, and posted a few patches to Axe Exchange.

Thread:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/clean-capable-w-d-w-foh-grid-routing-idea.183177/

Axe Exchange Patch Download (compact version):
https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=9584

Note:
If you download the patch, be sure to use the LEVEL control to mix the post-effects. For the setup to work, all post-effect MIX knobs have to be set to 100%.

Last edited:
Here's the way I route W/D/W patches. It also includes a stereo mix for Front of House. W/D/W routing can be tricky, but each block can be toggled individually with no impact to other blocks or your overall dry signal, and you have complete control of the Wet signal, as well as the ability to mix as much dry signal into your wet cabs as you and, and as much wet signal into your dry cabs as you want, also.

Output 1: FoH
Output 2: Dry cab
Output 3: Wet cabs

my kitchen sink WDW patch:
STncmu6.png

My more compact WDW patch:
3zJIRMR.png

I made a thread explaining it in more detail, and posted a few patches to Axe Exchange.

Thread:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/clean-capable-w-d-w-foh-grid-routing-idea.183177/

Axe Exchange Patch Download (compact version):
https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=9584
Never tried rotary before the amp. How's it sound?

Speaking of atypical rigs, I have been doing a Orange Pedal Power/1x12 Creamback cab and an EV PXM 12" FRFR for stereo.

This is easy to do in any Fractal of course, left with IR and right without, and it means something for tone, feel and dispersion of signal.

- half my cab tone is the IR variable and the other half is always that Celestion. This lets me change per song while never feeling like I've entirely pulled the rug out from under myself, like you can get if you jump far with IR types

- half of the tone has that 'guitar speaker in a box' feel that is hard to capture with FRFR - directional / beamy / etc. The sound I grew up with. While the other half has the even, amazingly wide spread we associate with some FRFRs like the EV.

The only trick is level matching Left and Right. I don't need it to be perfect, but a simple phone app goes a ways too getting you there if you don't trust your ears.

As many people on this thread have enough gear, I encourage more to try it. It's a hybrid that is fun and has some guardrails if you like to experiment.
I think I'd have to use an expression pedal/volume pedal to dial it in to taste (using it on the W or the EV). Same thing for the w/d or w/d/w set ups. I'd need that immediate ability to dial in the proper amount relative to the room or even song. I've used it in traditional set ups and it made things much easier for me. Toughest part was calibrating the volume pedal to be at the absolute MAX I'd use and work back from that.

Your post gives me to idea to try this with my Marshall DSL 40/Creamback and my FRFR 12" monitor. Heck I can throw in 2 DSL 10's for added ambience if I needed but I enjoy more of a amp in the room feel. I'm as close as I can get now through my FRFR monitor but I like the idea of adding a real guitar speaker as long as it's directed at my knees or away from my face.

The reality picture is why I have an FM9. I'm not a rock star. No one is carrying my stuff and wiring my rig for me.

The cabling mess alone is making me about ready to put it all up on Facebook Marketplace. I forgot how much I hated this shit.

View attachment 132152
I had a somewhat similar thing going.

IMG_2152.jpeg

It was fun to use. It was a bit of work wiring it up but that was kinda fun in its way too. But it was sooooo much easier to setup on the Fractal grid vs. real wiring, and I was obviously not limited to those exact pedals. I also found the Fractal setup to be just as awe inspiring.

The pedal setup was fun too though.

I had a somewhat similar thing going.

View attachment 132179

It was fun to use. It was a bit of work wiring it up but that was kinda fun in its way too. But it was sooooo much easier to setup on the Fractal grid vs. real wiring, and I was obviously not limited to those exact pedals. I also found the Fractal setup to be just as awe inspiring.

The pedal setup was fun too though.

I need a new board. Which one is that? What cables are you using?

I need a new board. Which one is that? What cables are you using?
That's a Temple Duo 24. Power is from a Cioks DC7. Signal cables are Lava Tightrope.

Edit: all that should be in past tense. I pulled that board apart.

Last edited:
Here's a fairly simple rack-style w/d/w setup. Out 1 goes to the dry cab (Fender FR-12 in my case), Out 2 goes to the wet cabs (I use a pair of PXM-12s). It's glorious.

View attachment 132240

Looks similar to the way I set my presets up. I would just have to move Output 1 up a few spots and add the side cabs.

Mine are all set up with "dry" on Output 1 and dry + "amp-in-the-room" reverb early reflections from Output 2. I use Output 2 with the Spacestation XL, but Output 1 is dry for use at the board or for recording....

@GreatGreen Thanks for the inspiration. This patch is glorious. I'm still tweaking a little to manage scenes and such...working out a footswitch layout, etc. but yeah. Awesome method to be able to route so many effects in parallel. And I could do even more...if I had any CPU left :tearsofjoy:

Screenshot 2024-01-08 204432.png

Back
Top Bottom